Nine Pakistanis dead in twin attacks on New Zealand mosques

1 / 2
Mourners lays flowers on a wall at the Botanical Gardens in Christchurch, New Zealand, Saturday, March 16, 2019. New Zealand's stricken residents reached out to Muslims in their neighbourhoods and around the country on Saturday, in a fierce determination to show kindness to a community in pain as a 28-year-old white supremacist stood silently before a judge, accused in mass shootings at two mosques that left dozens of people dead. (AP)
2 / 2
Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Foreign Office Spokesman Dr. Mohammad Faisal address a press conference in Islamabad on Sunday. (Photo credit: Foreign Office)
Updated 17 March 2019
Follow

Nine Pakistanis dead in twin attacks on New Zealand mosques

  • Pakistani Foreign Minister says national flag will fly at half-mast on Monday in solidarity with attack victims
  • Calls emergency meeting of OIC foreign ministers on March 22 to discuss response to rising Islamophobia

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said on Sunday Pakistan’s national flag would fly at half-mast on Monday in solidarity with the families of victims of attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, confirming that nine Pakistanis had perished in the twin assaults.

Around 50 people were killed in the twin attacks on Friday that New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern was quick to describe as a terrorist act. A list of people missing in the attack released by New Zealand Red Cross included nationals from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Jordan, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Nine Pakistanis were killed in the attack, the foreign minister confirmed, and one Pakistani was in critical condition and “not out of danger.”

“The whole nation is in mourning and the prime minister has decided that our national flag will fly at half-mast tomorrow,” Qureshi said at a news conference.

The foreign minister said the process of identification of Pakistanis who were killed in the attack had been completed and New Zealand authorities would start handing over bodies to heirs on Monday. He said New Zealand had agreed to keep the Pakistani foreign ministry in the loop as it went ahead with investigating Friday's attacks.

“We are in touch with all ten families here,” the foreign minister said. “Six of the families want their loved ones to be buried in Christchurch, while three bodies will be sent back to Pakistan. The process will begin from Monday.”

He paid special tribute to Naeem Rashid, a Pakistani victim who was shown in video footage of the attack, live streamed by the gunman, launching himself at the attacker in an attempt to disarm him. He was gunned down. Rashid would be honored with a national award on Pakistan Day, March 23, Qureshi said.

The foreign minister said an emergency meeting of foreign ministers of Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) countries had been called in Istanbul on March 22 to discuss the causes of Islamophobia and ways forward in the aftermath of the attacks in the New Zealand city of Christchurch.

"The idea [behind summoning the meeting] is to devise a strategy against Islamophobia, while keeping the Christchurch tragedy in mind," Qureshi said.

He said he had contacted leader of the opposition Shehbaz Sharif and Pakistan Peoples Party chairman Asif Ali Zardari, and would discuss the National Action Plan, Pakistan’s primary counter-terrorism blueprint, with all parliamentary leaders on March 28.

On Friday, Pakistan’s Prime Minister Imran Khan condemned the New Zealand attack on Twitter and said: “I blame these increasing terror attacks on the current Islamophobia post-9/11 (where) 1.3 billion Muslims have collectively been blamed for any act of terror.”


Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Zimbabwe surprise as T20 World Cup Super Eights begin without Australia

  • Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off
  • India carry hopes of millions of cricket-obsessed fans of winning back-to-back T20 World Cups and lifting the trophy on home soil

Kolkata: Pakistan and New Zealand will clash in Colombo on Saturday as the second “Super Eights” phase of the T20 World Cup kicks off without former champions Australia, who shockingly failed to make it out of their group.

Instead, surprise packages Zimbabwe, who did not even qualify in 2024, topped Group B after a stunning unbeaten campaign where they not only beat Australia but also co-hosts Sri Lanka.

An injury-depleted Australia endured a chaotic campaign and failed to make the second phase of the T20 World Cup for the first time since 2009.

Australia’s acerbic media did not hold back in their criticism, citing selection “stuff-ups” and “shambolic” preparations, including a 3-0 pre-tournament series loss in Pakistan, for the embarrassment.

Australia coach Andrew McDonald admitted his players were “devastated” but any inquest into the failure would only begin “when we exit the shores here.”

India, the world number one-ranked T20 side, are hot favorites to retain their crown on home soil.

However, in the second round they face a tough rematch of the 2024 final against an in-form South Africa in Ahmedabad at a packed 130,000-capacity Narendra Modi stadium on Sunday.

Both teams came through the first round phase with four wins from four.

India are on a 12-match unbeaten run at the T20 World Cup, stretching back to their defeat in the semifinal against eventual winners England in 2022.

No team has won back-to-back T20 World Cups or lifted the trophy on home soil, and India have the hopes of hundreds of million of cricket-obsessed fans on their shoulders.

But India have not been consistent and have a problem at the top of the order with their number one-ranked batter Abhishek Sharma recording three consecutive ducks.

Their batting has looked shaky and India were 77-6 against the United States before coming through to win.

Also in Super Eights Group 1 are Zimbabwe and the West Indies, who meet in Mumbai on Monday, with all that group’s games being hosted in India.

ENGLAND YET TO FIRE

The West Indies toppled England convincingly in the group phase and the two-time champions have all-round strength in depth.

They won the T20 World Cup the last time it was hosted in India, in 2016, and have started in clinical fashion, winning all four group games.

They will be extremely wary of Zimbabwe, whose colorful band of traveling supporters have had plenty to cheer so far. Even a washout against Ireland could not dampen their spirits.

In Sri Lanka, Group 2 pits the co-hosts against England, Pakistan and New Zealand.

The top two from each group will advance to the semifinals.

Pakistan were the last team to secure their berth. They did so by beating Namibia by 102 runs, with captain Salman Agha calling it a “complete performance” as they bounced back from a group defeat to bitter rivals India.

Another pre-tournament fancy, England stumbled through their group matches in Mumbai and Kolkata, losing to the only Test-playing side they faced, the West Indies.

Harry Brook’s side were unconvincing in wins against minnows Nepal, Scotland and finally Italy, who were making their World Cup debut.

But they return to a happy hunting ground in Kandy to face Sri Lanka on Sunday at a venue where England swept a T20 series 3-0 this month, with Sam Curran taking a hat-trick along the way.

Their top order needs to find form, with explosive openers Jos Buttler and Phil Salt yet to make a telling score and Brook failing to fire.

Sri Lanka have also been hot and cold.

Pathum Nissanka scored a superb century on Monday to all but end Australia’s tournament.

But they lost to Zimbabwe in their final group game, although Nissanka was in the runs again with 62.