Iraq seeks power revamp to head off sanctions, protests

In this file photo taken on September 2, 2018, Iraqi protesters gather trash cans and scrap with barbed wire as they erect a make-shift barricade during clashes with security forces following a demonstration against corruption and lack of basic services outside the local government headquarters in the southern city of Basra. (AFP)
Updated 28 November 2018
Follow

Iraq seeks power revamp to head off sanctions, protests

  • Iraq’s broken electricity sector is planning a long-awaited overhaul to meet US pressure to halt Iranian power imports

BAGHDAD: Iraq’s broken electricity sector is planning a long-awaited overhaul to both meet US pressure to halt Iranian power imports and head off summertime protests over chronic cuts.
With a freshman at the helm, the electricity ministry is exploring options including revamping stations and lines to cut waste, importing power, and improving bill collection to boost revenues.
Baghdad hopes it will generate enough megawatts to feed demand by summer, when cuts can leave millions powerless for up to 20 hours per day.
But it also has an earlier deadline to meet.
When Washington reimposed sanctions on Tehran in November over the latter’s nuclear program, it granted Iraq a 45-day waiver to produce a roadmap to stop using Iranian electricity and gas.
Iraq pipes in up to 28 million cubic meters of Iranian gas daily to feed its stations, and also directly imports up to 1,300 megawatts of Iranian-produced electricity.
Now, Baghdad’s power ministry has outlined a plan to wean off Iranian electricity within 18 months and resolve some decade-old problems, said spokesman Musab Al-Mudarris.
“In the coming two weeks, we will submit to the Americans a five-year plan including yearly assessments,” he told AFP.
If the US approves, it may extend the waiver for “a year or two.”
“But there are no quick fixes,” Mudarris insisted.
Iraq sits on 153 billion barrels of proven crude reserves, but it needs higher quality fuel and gas for power turbines.
Mudarris admitted that while Iraq could do without Iran’s electricity, it needed Iranian gas until it could extract its own or capture flares from oil drilling.

Using its own fuel plus Iranian gas, Iraq can produce a total of around 16,000 megawatts of electricity.
That is far below demand, which hovers around 24,000 MW but can jump to 30,000 in summer, when temperatures reach a sizzling 50 degrees Celsius (122 Fahrenheit).
Much of the shortfall is technical: when Iraq transmits power, 30 to 50 percent gets lost to poor infrastructure, according to the Iraq Energy Institute (IEI).
Some of that is age, but pipelines and stations were also attacked by the Daesh group before Iraq beat it back last year.
Rehabilitation is a key element of the ministry’s plan.
Mudarris pointed to recent memorandums of understanding with Siemens, worth $10 billion, and General Electric, at $15 billion, to fix infrastructure.
Together, they could add up to 24,000 MW within five years: “That would bring us to 40,000 MW,” Mudarris said.
Electricity Minister Luay Al-Khateeb has also asked Siemens and GE for “fast-track” plans to boost power generation by summer.
Baghdad is finding ways to fund these efforts, including a $600 million finance deal between GE, the Trade Bank of Iraq, and Standard Chartered announced in late November.
Another ministerial initiative involves swapping Iranian power for imports from other neighbors, Mudarris said, including 300 MW each from Turkey, Jordan, and Kuwait, plus Saudi solar power.
In a possible omen, new Iraqi President Barham Saleh visited Amman, Kuwait, and Riyadh in his first regional trip since assuming power.
Finally, Baghdad wants to recover money lost by the ministry’s poor collection service.
“We are losing about 60 percent of our revenues to people who don’t pay. If we can cut those losses, we can stop relying on Iran,” said Mudarris.

Last year, Iraq began privatising by hiring collection services to ensure households paid power bills.
Samir Hussein, a 20-year employee of the ministry’s distribution department, said privatised collection has already reduced outages in Baghdad.
“Those who pay cut their usage by half, which allows me to redirect megawatts to other neighborhoods, preventing cuts there,” he told AFP.
But obstacles remain, including overdue bills to Iran for previous imports.
A draft 2019 budget shows Iraq allocating some $800 million for “Iranian gas arrears” and around $350 million for Iranian electricity backpay, according to an IEI analysis.
Another issue is Iraq’s bloated electricity ministry, said energy expert Harry Estepanian.
Neighbouring Kuwait generates around the same amount of electricity as Iraq, but its ministry employs 12,000 compared with Iraq’s roughly 140,000, he said.
The body is also accused of widespread corruption, which technocrat and first-time minister Khateeb pledged to investigate this week.
“Whatever he is planning is doomed to fail if he does not reform,” Estepanian told AFP.
And Iraq’s five-year plan must account for skyrocketing consumption as cities are rebuilt post-Daesh.
“Right now Mosul, Anbar, Salahaddin probably don’t have high demand. Once reconstruction starts, demand will start to go up by around seven to 10 percent,” Estepanian said.
“The gap between supply and demand is widening. It’s not like it was in 2003 or 2013, and it won’t be the same in 2023.”


Israel accused of move expanding Jerusalem borders for first time since 1967

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Israel accused of move expanding Jerusalem borders for first time since 1967

  • Planned development is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated north-east of Jerusalem in the West Bank
  • Some 200,000 Israelis live in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, while more than 500,000 others live in West Bank settlements and outposts
JERUSALEM: Israeli NGOs have raised the alarm over a settlement plan signed by the government which they say would mark the first expansion of Jerusalem’s borders into the occupied West Bank since 1967.
Israel has occupied east Jerusalem since 1967 and later annexed it in a move not recognized by the international community.
Palestinians view east Jerusalem as the capital of their future state.
The proposal, published in early February but reported by Israeli media only on Monday, comes as international outrage mounts over creeping measures aimed at strengthening Israeli control over the West Bank.
Critics say these actions by the Israeli authorities are aimed at the de facto annexation of the Palestinian territory.
The planned development, announced by Israel’s Ministry of Construction and Housing, is formally a westward expansion of the Geva Binyamin, or Adam, settlement situated north-east of Jerusalem in the West Bank.
In a statement, the ministry said the development agreement included the construction of around 2,780 housing units for the settlement, with an investment of roughly 120 million Israeli shekels (around $38.7 million).
But the area to be developed lies on the Jerusalem side of the separation barrier built by Israel in the early 2000s, while Geva Binyamin sits on the West Bank side of the barrier, and the two are separated by a road.
In a statement, Israeli settlement watchdog Peace Now said there would be no “territorial or functional connection” between the area to be developed and the settlement.
“The new neighborhood will be integral to the city of Jerusalem,” Lior Amihai, Peace Now’s executive director, told AFP.
“What is unique about that one is that it will be connected directly to Jerusalem, but it will be beyond the annexed municipal border. So it will be in complete West Bank territory, but just adjacent to Jerusalem,” he said.

‘Living there as Jerusalemites’

The move comes days after Israel’s government approved a process to register land in the West Bank as “state property,” drawing widespread international condemnation and fears among critics that it would accelerate annexation of the Palestinian territory.
Days earlier, Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures to tighten control over areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo accords.
Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the Palestinian Authority’s control.
Amihai said that the current government — one of the most right-wing in Israel’s history — was “systematically working to annex the occupied territories and to prevent Palestinian statehood.”
The case of Jerusalem, he said, was particularly symbolic.
“Every change to Jerusalem is sensitive to both the Israeli public, but also to the Palestinians,” he told AFP.
Aviv Tatarsky, a researcher at Ir Amim, an Israeli NGO focusing on Jerusalem within the context of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, said the latest planned development amounted to a de facto expansion of the city of Jerusalem.
“If it is built, and people live there, the people who will live there, they will be living there as Jerusalemites,” he told AFP.
“In all practical terms, it’s basically not the settlement that will be expanded, but Jerusalem.”

‘Facts on the ground’

The development agreement was signed by Israel’s Construction and Housing Ministry, the Finance Ministry and the Binyamin Regional Council, which represents settlements north of Ramallah in the central West Bank.
It has yet to be reviewed by the Civil Administration’s Higher Planning Committee, in a process which could take several months or years.
Tatarsky said that international pressure had so far made it difficult for recent Israeli governments to make formal declarations on annexation.
“It’s much easier to create facts on the ground, which, altogether... actually add up to annexation,” the researcher said.
The West Bank, occupied since 1967, would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state but is seen by many on the religious right as Israeli land.
Some 200,000 Israelis live in Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, while more than 500,000 others live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.
The current Israeli government has fast-tracked settlement expansion, approving a record 52 settlements in 2025.