Saudi Arabia and 7 other countries condemn Israel’s West Bank land grab

An Israeli settlement near Bethlehem in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Saudi Arabia and 7 other countries condemn Israel’s West Bank land grab

  • Kingdom’s foreign minister joined by Jordan, UAE, Qatar, Turkiye, among others, denouncing Israel’s ‘grave escalation’
  • Israeli Cabinet approved land registration measures on Sunday that will allow it to declare Palestinian areas as ‘state land’

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia and seven other countries have severely condemned Israel’s decision to start land registration in parts of the occupied West Bank, which would allow large areas to be declared “state land.”

The Kingdom’s Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan was joined on Tuesday by Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt, and Turkiye in denouncing the move as a “grave escalation” that will undermine the two-state solution.

The Israeli government approved the process on Sunday for the West Bank’s Area C for the first time since 1967. It would mean that if Palestinians cannot prove ownership, Israel would be able to register the land as property of the state.

The foreign ministers’ statement said the move was aimed at “accelerating illegal settlement activity, land confiscation, entrenching Israeli control, and applying unlawful Israeli sovereignty over the Occupied Palestinian Territory and undermining the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.”

The statement added that the measures represented a “flagrant violation of international law,” including an International Court of Justice advisory opinion that deemed attempts to alter the legal, historical, and demographic status of the territory as illegal.

“This step reflects an attempt to impose a new legal and administrative reality designed to consolidate control over the occupied land, thereby undermining the two-state solution, eroding the prospects for the establishment of an independent and viable Palestinian State, and jeopardizing the attainment of a just and comprehensive peace in the region,” the ministers said.

They called on the international community to take action against Israel’s violations and protect the right of Palestinians to an independent state on the lines of the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.

Israel has been ramping up efforts to exert its control over the West Bank.

Earlier this month, the Security Cabinet approved measures that would make it easier for Jewish settlers to buy land in the territory and expand Israeli powers there.

The latest announcement has been widely condemned both by Arab and Islamic countries, the EU, the UN and Israeli human rights groups.


Ramadan begins with celestial spectacle in Saudi Arabia's north 

Updated 7 sec ago
Follow

Ramadan begins with celestial spectacle in Saudi Arabia's north 

  • Venus-crescent moon alignment visible over Northern Borders Region skies
  • Meteorology Center completes operational plan for the holy month

ARAR/JEDDAH: The holy month of Ramadan has commenced in Saudi Arabia with a striking astronomical display in the Northern Borders Region, setting a serene tone for the month as meteorological authorities confirmed full readiness to support pilgrims in Makkah and Madinah, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

On Tuesday evening, the skies over Arar witnessed a rare alignment as the planet Venus paired with the slender crescent moon marking the first day of Ramadan. Appearing shortly after sunset, the crescent shimmered low on the western horizon above Venus — one of the brightest celestial bodies — in a display enhanced by clear skies.

While the conjunction is a recurring astronomical phenomenon caused by the apparent proximity of the two bodies as viewed from Earth,  its coincidence with the start of the holy month added a special aesthetic and spiritual dimension to the atmosphere in the north, SPA said.

Meteorological readiness

As the faithful began their fasting, the National Center for Meteorology (NCM) announced the completion of its operational and technical preparations for Ramadan 1447 AH.

The plan includes heightened performance levels at observatories in the Kingdom’s airports to manage increased flight traffic and aviation safety. (SPA)

NCM Chief Executive Dr. Ayman bin Salem Ghulam confirmed that the center has finalized a comprehensive plan to ensure round-the-clock weather monitoring for Makkah, Madinah, and the roads leading to the Two Holy Mosques. The initiative aims to provide accurate forecasting to enhance the safety and comfort of the influx of visitors and Umrah pilgrims.

The plan includes heightened performance levels at observatories in the Kingdom’s airports to manage increased flight traffic and aviation safety.

To ensure pilgrims have real-time access to information, the NCM has integrated its data with the "Nusuk" and "Tawakkalna" smart applications. Ten-day extended forecasts and real-time alerts will also be available via the "Anwaa" app and displayed on guidance boards along highways.

The center has mobilized 14 media platforms to deliver swift weather alerts, ensuring high standards of security and logistical support throughout the season.