Pakistan complains to Netherlands over Wilders anti-Islam cartoon plans

In this Aug. 17, 2018 file photo, Pakistani protesters shout slogans to condemn a cartoon contest planned by Geert Wilders, a Dutch parliamentarian, as police stop them from proceeding to a diplomatic enclave in Islamabad, Pakistan. On Monday, Aug. 27, 2018, Pakistan's senate passed a resolution condemning an anti-Islam cartoon contest planned by the far-right Dutch lawmaker, in one of the first actions taken by the assembly since last month's elections. (AP)
Updated 28 August 2018
Follow

Pakistan complains to Netherlands over Wilders anti-Islam cartoon plans

  • The protesters are scheduled to march from Lahore to Islamabad
  • Pakistan's upper house of parliament on Monday condemned the contest

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's new foreign minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi complained to his Dutch counterpart on Tuesday over a planned anti-Islam cartoon contest, saying "such acts spread hate and intolerance".
Far-right Dutch parliamentarian Geert Wilders has planned the contest for later in the year, and caricatures of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed are to be exhibited.
A Pakistani foreign office statement said Qureshi said the planned event would hurt the feelings of Muslims around the world.
Qureshi said later he planned to take up the issue with several world leaders. "We have raised this issue at several levels," he said. "We have contacted the United Nations. We have contacted the European Union."
Pakistan's upper house of parliament on Monday condemned the contest. Prime Minister Imran Khan said: "They don't understand how much they hurt us when they do such acts."
An extremist Islamist party Tehreek-e-Labaik Pakistan is organising a protest march against the contest on Wednesday.
The protesters are scheduled to march from the eastern city of Lahore to the capital Islamabad.
Wilders plans to display the cartoons on the walls of his political party's room in parliament. He says he's had "hundreds" of entries.
"This contest is not an initiative by the government," Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said last week.
"This contest is not something I would do."


Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list: Hanoi

HANOI: US President Donald Trump told Vietnam’s top leader To Lam he would “instruct the relevant agencies” to remove the country from a list restricted from accessing advanced US technologies, Vietnam’s government announced Saturday.
The two leaders met in person for the first time at the White House on Friday, after Lam attended the inaugural meeting of Trump’s “Board of Peace” in Washington.
“Donald Trump said he would instruct the relevant agencies to soon remove Vietnam from the strategic export control list,” Hanoi’s Government News website said.
The two countries were locked in protracted trade negotiations when the US Supreme Court ruled many of Trump’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Three Vietnamese airlines announced nearly $37 billion in purchases this week, in a series of contracts signed with US aerospace companies.
Fledgling airline Sun PhuQuoc Airways placed an order for 40 of Boeing’s 787 Dreamliners, a long-haul aircraft, with an estimated total value of $22.5 billion, while national carrier Vietnam Airlines placed an $8.1 billion order for around 50 Boeing 737-8 aircraft.
When Trump announced his “Liberation Day” tariffs in April, Vietnam had the third-largest trade surplus with the US of any country after China and Mexico, and was targeted with one of the highest rates in Trump’s tariff blitz.
But in July, Hanoi secured a minimum 20 percent tariff with Washington, down from more than 40 percent, in return for opening its market to US products including cars.
Trump signed off on a global 10-percent tariff on Friday on all countries hours after the Supreme Court ruled many of his levies on imports were illegal.