Palestinians slam reported US plan to weaken refugee agency

Nabil Shaath, an adviser to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, alleged Sunday that the Trump administration is “pushing to impose facts on the ground, by realizing all of Israel’s demands.” (File photo: AFP)
Updated 05 August 2018
Follow

Palestinians slam reported US plan to weaken refugee agency

  • Jared Kushner, Mideast adviser to President Donald Trump, called in an email this year for a “sincere effort to disrupt” the agency
  • Abbas’ office said it would “foil conspiracies to end the Palestinian cause”

RAMALLAH, West Bank: Palestinians have denounced reported US attempts to undercut a UN agency that serves several million Palestinian refugees and their descendants.
The US-based Foreign Policy magazine has reported that Jared Kushner, Mideast adviser to President Donald Trump, called in an email this year for a “sincere effort to disrupt” the agency.
In previous US-led negotiations, the fate of Palestinian refugees and contested Jerusalem were to be settled in a peace deal. Palestinian officials now fear that the Trump administration is moving unilaterally to settle these issues in Israel’s favor.
Nabil Shaath, an adviser to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, alleged Sunday that the Trump administration is “pushing to impose facts on the ground, by realizing all of Israel’s demands.”
Abbas’ office said Saturday it would “foil conspiracies to end the Palestinian cause.”


Lebanon says army to take at least 4 months for next stage of Hezbollah disarmament plan

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Lebanon says army to take at least 4 months for next stage of Hezbollah disarmament plan

  • Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel

BEIRUT, Lebanon: Lebanon’s government said Monday that the army will have a four-month extendable period to implement phase two of the military’s plan to disarm militant group Hezbollah in south Lebanon.
Lebanon’s government has committed to disarming Hezbollah, which was badly weakened in a recent war with Israel, and the military said last month it had completed the first phase of its plan, covering the area between the Litani River and the Israeli border about 30 kilometers (20 miles) further south.
Phase two covers an area north of the river.
Information Minister Paul Morcos told a press conference after a cabinet session that the government “took note of the army leadership’s presentation” on the second stage of the plan and that “there is a timeframe of four months, extendable depending on available capabilities, Israeli attacks and hindrances on the ground.”