Algeria land former player Djamel Belmadi as new boss after Carlos Queiroz rules himself out

Belmadi is the new coach of Algeria, a side that failed to make it to this summer's World Cup. AFP
Updated 02 August 2018
Follow

Algeria land former player Djamel Belmadi as new boss after Carlos Queiroz rules himself out

  • Iran boss distanced himself from the job as Les Fennecs boss
  • Belmadi the new boss with qualification for the African Cup of Nations the first target

LONDON: Algeria have ended their search for a new coach, appointing former international Djamel Belmadi on a four-year contract. Les Fennecs had been looking for a new man since June and had been strongly linked with a move for Iran boss Carlos Queiroz. Belmadi’s appointment ends the search to replace Rabah Madjer that was threatening to turn into a saga.
Queiroz was the latest big name to distance himself from the job. With the 65-year-old’s contract with Iran expiring on July 31 without an extension yet agreed, the former Real Madrid and Portugal boss was heavily linked with the Algerian hotseat, with reports suggesting Queiroz was very keen on the move.
“After any World Cup there are always lots of speculation and reports,” a source close to Queiroz told Arab News. “There was no truth in these rumors.”
The source refused to comment on whether the ex-Manchester United assistant, who guided Iran to four points at the 2018 World Cup in the country’s best-ever performance on the global stage, would stay on in Tehran until the 2019 Asian Cup in January.
Algeria’s needs were more pressing, however, with the Algerian Football Federation keen to make an appointment as soon as possible with qualification for the 2019 African Nations Cup resuming in September.
“Djamel Belmadi is the new coach of the Algerian national team following the agreement found between him and the president Kheireddine Zetchi,” said a statement released by the federation. The statement added that the first target would be qualification for the African Nations Cup, though Belmadi’s contract is set to run until the 2022 World Cup.
Fans in the country had become frustrated with the lack of a concrete decision despite the pronouncements from Zetchi on Monday that the new man would be in place within a matter of hours.
The president revealed that the new tactician was a “global coach, very motivated to coach the national team.”
That the mystery man turned out to be Belmadi may be something of a disappointment for fans who had been expecting a bigger name. Since the end of the World Cup, a tournament that took place without Algeria, Herve Renard and Vahid Halilhodzic, along with Queiroz, had both been heavily touted as possible replacements.
Renard impressed in Russia with Morocco despite the team collecting just a single point. The Frenchman is still with the Atlas Lions and pledged his future to Morocco in July, and especially ruled out joining a continental rival.
“Some people talk about my future in the media to sow trouble,” Renard said. 
“Out of respect for Morocco and all Moroccans, I will not leave in any way for another African nation regardless of who it is.”
Former coach Halilhodzic was also in the running. The Bosnian took Algeria to the second round of the 2014 World Cup, where they ran eventual winners Germany close in the knockout match — the Germans needing extra-time to eventually see off the North Africans — and is available after being fired by Japan in April, despite ensuring the Samurai Blue qualified for this summer’s tournament in Russia. 
According to reports, Halilhodzic, also on South Korea’s hitlist should they, as expected, decide to axe Shin Tae-yong, could not agree financial terms with his one-time employers.
Belmadi, a former Manchester City, Marseilles and Southampton midfielder, tasted failure with Qatar in the 2015 Asian Cup when the highly rated team lost all three games in an all West Asian group to crash out in the first round. He did, however, lead Al-Duhail to the last two Qatari league titles.
In July he was replaced in Doha by outgoing Tunisia coach Nabil Maaloul. His first competitive game in charge of Algeria will come against the Gambia on Sept. 7. Algeria collected all three points from the Group D opener  back in June 2017 with a 1-0 win over Togo.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”