COX’S BAZAR, Bangladesh: Bangladesh says Akramul Haque was a meth kingpin who died after opening fire at police, one of 130 accused dealers killed in murky late-night shootouts in an increasingly bloody war on drugs.
But his wife has gone public with tapes that she says prove her husband was murdered in a set-up, causing a sensation in Bangladesh as the police crackdown faces its first real scrutiny.
Ayesha Begum says the phone conversations she recorded with Haque on the night he died contradict the official narrative — that he was armed and shot at police, who returned fire in self-defense.
“They killed him in cold blood,” Begum said from Teknaf in southeast Bangladesh, where her husband, a local councilor, was gunned down on May 27.
“They said it was a shootout. But his hands were tied when he was killed. Someone was told to untie his hands after he was shot,” she said, describing what she heard over the phone.
AFP has listened to the audio but cannot independently verify that the voices belong to Haque, his wife and young daughter.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan said police had copies of the recordings and were investigating but would not elaborate.
Rights groups say that if true, the chilling tapes — which have gone viral in Bangladesh — are proof that police have committed extrajudicial killings in the campaign that began on May 15 and has also seen 15,000 people arrested.
The recordings have cast doubt on what many Bangladeshis considered a legitimate effort to stamp out drugs, most notably “yaba,” a cheap and hugely popular methamphetamine pill.
There have been calls for an immediate inquiry, with some drawing parallels to the Philippines, where the rule of law has been eroded as thousands of bodies have piled up from a deadly drug war.
A letter co-signed by 10 high-profile Bangladeshis, including independence heroes and celebrated writers, said the allegations were “unimaginable in any democratic state and society.”
“One such incident is enough to question the entire campaign and terrorize the people,” the widely published letter said.
Police say all the people killed so far were wanted drug kingpins, and all died in late-night gang wars or shootouts with police. No officers have been seriously injured.
Haque was no different, they say.
They allege he was a “top godfather” of the yaba trade in Teknaf, a key transit town for the little red pills crossing the border from labs in Myanmar.
As is the case with almost all the other shootouts, police say they found drugs and weapons on his body — in Haque’s case 10,000 yaba tablets, two guns and rounds of live ammunition.
But Haque’s family says the father of two was innocent.
“If he were a yaba dealer, we would have many properties. Yet we struggle to pay our daughters’ school fees,” his wife Begum said.
She released four recordings to the media on May 31. Haque speaks to his daughter briefly in the first three, but in the fourth he says nothing into the phone as the tape rolls.
Sometime later, gunshots ring out and Begum says her husband can be heard moaning. Another man is then heard discussing how to best plant loaded guns, bullets and yaba at the scene.
Rights groups say Bangladesh’s security forces have a record of staging executions and Haque’s alleged murder fits a pattern.
“We have documented in the past, that all too often they engage in extrajudicial killings and then make up stories of these deaths in an armed exchange or in crossfire,” said Human Rights Watch South Asia director Meenakshi Ganguly.
Local rights activist Nur Khan Liton said Haque’s case was not the first one bearing the hallmarks of a set-up.
“Some families said the victims were arrested first ... and then killed in what appeared to be staged gunbattles,” he said.
The main opposition party — whose leader was jailed this year ahead of a general election — says the killings have a political angle, with five of their supporters gunned down so far.
“They are murdering innocent people to create a climate of fear, so nobody can hold protests against the government,” said Bangladesh Nationalist Party spokesman Rizvi Ahmed.
The government estimates 400 million yaba tablets hit the streets in 2017, despite seizures numbering in the tens of millions of pills.
The drugs crisis has expanded beyond urban areas, authorities say, with addicts found in rural areas of the Muslim-majority country.
Even more pills are expected to flood the market this year after Rohingya refugees fleeing Myanmar for Bangladesh were employed as drug mules, police say.
The government has vowed to eradicate the “menace” with the same aggression it used to choke homegrown Islamic extremism.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has defiantly stated that “no (drug) godfather will be spared.”
“I can say this because whenever I deal with something, I use an iron fist,” she said.
Bangladesh defends drug war as murder claims surface
Bangladesh defends drug war as murder claims surface
More than 1,000 councilors in UK sign Palestine pledge
- Issue could prove decisive in local elections set for May, campaigners say
- Campaign pledges councilors to ‘uphold inalienable rights of the Palestinian people’
LONDON: More than 1,000 local councilors in the UK have signed a pledge of solidarity with Palestine, in what could prove to be a crucial issue in upcoming elections, Sky News reported on Saturday.
Many Labour-run councils face the prospect of losing power in the local elections, set for May.
The issue of Palestine could play a decisive role in key sections of the electorate, campaigners have said.
The document, launched by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign and signed by 1,028 councilors so far, pledges signatories to “uphold the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people” and prevent councils’ complicity in “Israel’s violations of international law,” including by divesting from pension funds invested in arms companies.
Zoe Garbett, a Hackney Green councilor who signed the pledge, told Sky News: “I think that this is really important to uphold the rights of the Palestinian people and to make sure that we can make ethical investments. They want to see their council representing them on a national level.”
She added: “We know that most people really want to see an end to the genocide in Gaza, and an end to wars and conflicts all across the world, and they want to see their local representatives standing up for them.”
Of the signatories to the pledge, 245 councilors are from the Green Party, 338 from Labour, 104 Liberal Democrats, 38 from the Scottish National Party, 17 from Plaid Cymru, 12 from Your Party, three Conservatives and many independents.
Labour has faced significant pressure from its traditional voter base over the issue of Gaza, especially after Prime Minister Keir Starmer appeared reluctant to call for a ceasefire.
Key London borough councils, dominated by Labour, have seen councilors sign up en masse to the pledge.
In Islington, a Labour stronghold, 59 percent of councilors signed the pledge, while 49 percent signed in Tower Hamlets.
Similar trends have taken place in Sheffield — where no party has overall council control — and Bradford.
Richard Burgon, Labour MP for Leeds East, said: “I think that so many Labour councilors have been so keen to sign the Palestine pledge as councilors because it puts on record that support for Palestine and distinguishes them from the position taken by the leader of the Labour Party.”
Alongside PSC, Britain’s most significant pro-Palestine group, the pledge is also supported by the Palestinian Youth Movement Britain, the Palestinian Forum in Britain, The Muslim Vote and the British Palestinian Committee.
PSC political organizer Dan Iley-Williamson said local councils in the UK “administer pension funds that invest more than £12 billion ($16 billion)” in weapons firms linked to Israel.
“The mass movement for Palestine — which has brought millions onto Britain’s streets — is not going away,” he added.









