Nurse dead in Congo as Ebola vaccination campaign starts

A health worker wears protective clothing outside an isolation ward to diagnose and treat suspected Ebola patients, at Bikoro Hospital in Bikoro, the rural area where the Ebola outbreak was announced last week, in Congo. (Mark Naftalin/UNICEF via AP)
Updated 21 May 2018
Follow

Nurse dead in Congo as Ebola vaccination campaign starts

  • The have so far been 27 deaths in this latest outbreak of the killer disease
  • There are plans to distribute a vaccine which is due to have started Monday

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO: Congo’s health minister says a nurse has died from Ebola in Bikoro, the rural northwestern town where the outbreak began, as the country begins a vaccination campaign.

Health Minister Oly Ilunga said late Sunday that the nurse’s death brings the death toll to 27 since early April. There are now 49 hemorrhagic fever cases: 22 confirmed as Ebola, 21 probable and 6 suspected.

Ilunga said two patients have recovered from Ebola, returning home.

Congo’s health delegation, including the health minister, and representatives of the World Health Organization and United Nations have arrived in Mbandaka, the northwestern city of more than 1 million where Ebola has spread, to launch the vaccination campaign Monday. The ministry said it will take five days to target health care workers and 100 registered contacts in the city.

The World Health Organization (WHO) hailed the vaccinations as a “paradigm shift” in how to fight the disease which killed more than 11,300 people in a West African epidemic between 2013 and 2016.

The WHO is sending over 7,540 doses of the vaccine to the central African country, 540 of which have been earmarked for Mbandaka, a city of about 1.5 million where four Ebola cases have been confirmed.

In a ceremony attended by health minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga, health workers in blue overalls and rubber gloves administered the vaccine developed by US drug company Merck , marking the start of a complex effort to ring-fence the virus before it gets out of control.

The other vaccines will be given to medical staff later on Monday at a nearby hospital. People who had contact with Ebola victims will come later.
“This is a new phase in our response, another pillar in the fight. We must continue the monitoring of contacts,” Ilunga said.

Ebola causes hemorrhagic fever, vomiting and diarrhea and spreads through contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person. When a new case is diagnosed, all people who might have been in recent contact with the patient are traced and vaccinated to keep the disease from spreading.

WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom said the outlook for dealing with the new outbreak, the ninth in Congo since the disease made its first known appearance in the 1970s, was brighter than when the West African epidemic was reported.

Mbandaka lies on the Congo River with regular transport links to the Kinshasa, raising concerns that the virus could spread to the capital where 10 million people live. The need to keep the vaccine at 80 degrees Celsius below freezing (minus 112 Fahrenheit) in a humid region with erratic electricity supply has further complicated the operation.

“It’s concerning that we now have cases of Ebola in an urban center, but we are much better placed to deal with this outbreak than we were in 2014,” Tedros told health ministers at the start of the WHO’s annual assembly in Geneva.

The WHO’s head of emergency response Peter Salama said use of the VSV-EBOV shot means regions with Ebola outbreaks can in future expect more than just containment with basic public health measures such as isolation and hygiene.

“It’s the first time in the midst of an outbreak ... that we’re using this as a way to stem transmission,” Salama told Reuters in a telephone interview.

“It’s an important moment that changes the way we’ve seen Ebola for 40 years.”

Of the 46 people thought to have been infected so far in the latest outbreak, 26 have died, the WHO said. Of that caseload, 21 have been confirmed in a laboratory, 21 are regarded as probable Ebola cases, and four patients are suspected of having Ebola.

The WHO’s previous leadership was heavily criticized for its slow response to the outbreak that began in late 2013. The WHO did not call an emergency meeting for that outbreak until August 2014. 


Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv

  • Ukraine-Russia peace talks resume in Geneva with pressure on Kyiv
  • Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky criticizes US pressure for Ukraine concessions

GENEVA: Negotiators from Ukraine and Russia began a second day of talks in Geneva on Wednesday, as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the United States was putting undue pressure on him to bring an end to the four-year-old war in his country.
The US-mediated peace talks in Switzerland have been taking place as US President Donald Trump has twice in recent days suggested it was up to Ukraine and Zelensky to take steps to ensure the talks were successful.
In an interview with US website Axios published on Tuesday, Zelensky was quoted as saying that it was “not fair” Trump kept publicly calling on Ukraine, not Russia, to make concessions in negotiating terms for a peace plan.
Zelensky also ‌said any plan ‌requiring Ukraine to give up territory that Russia had not captured in the ‌eastern ⁠Donbas region would be ⁠rejected by Ukrainians if put to a referendum.
“I hope it is just his tactics and not the decision,” Axios quoted Zelensky as saying in the interview.
Trump told reporters on Monday that “Ukraine better come to the table fast. That’s all I’m telling you.”
Talks come days before fourth anniversary of invasion
The Geneva talks resumed on Wednesday morning.
“The consultations are taking place in groups by areas within the political and military groups. We are working on clarifying the parameters and mechanics of the decisions that were discussed yesterday,” Ukraine’s lead negotiator and head of the National ⁠Security and Defense Council Rustem Umerov said on social media.
The talks come just ‌days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s 2022 invasion of its ‌much smaller neighbor. Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed, millions have fled their homes, and many Ukrainian cities, ‌towns and villages have been devastated by the conflict.
Russia denies deliberately targeting civilians.
Russian source called talks ‘very tense’
Umerov ‌said Tuesday’s talks had focused on “practical issues and the mechanics of possible decisions,” without providing details. Russian officials made no comments on the talks.
However, Russian news agencies quoted a source as saying that the Tuesday talks were “very tense” and lasted six hours in different bilateral and trilateral formats.
Ukrainian government bonds fell as much as 1.9 cents on the dollar in ‌morning trade in Europe on reports of stalled progress at the talks.
Before the talks began, Umerov had played down hopes for a significant step forward in ⁠Geneva, saying the Ukrainian delegation ⁠was working “without excessive expectations.”
The Geneva meeting follows two rounds of US-brokered talks in Abu Dhabi that concluded without a major breakthrough as the two sides remained far apart on key issues such as the control of territory in eastern Ukraine.
Russia occupies about 20 percent of Ukraine’s national territory, including Crimea and parts of the eastern Donbas region seized before the 2022 full-scale invasion. Its recent airstrikes on energy infrastructure have left hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians without heating and power during a harsh winter.
Zelensky thanked Trump for his peacemaking efforts and told Axios that his conversations with the top US negotiators, envoy Steve Witkoff and the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, did not involve the same kind of pressure.
Witkoff early on Wednesday said Trump’s efforts to get Russia and Ukraine talking were yielding fruit.
“President Trump’s success in bringing both sides of this war together has brought about meaningful progress, and we are proud to work under his leadership to stop the killing in this terrible conflict,” he said on X. “Both parties agreed to update their respective leaders and continue working toward a deal.”