UN chief issues new plea to fight humanitarian crises

KSRelief has completed 300 humanitarian projects in 40 countries since it was established in May 2015, the organization’s Supervisor General, Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, told the Riyadh International Humanitarian Forum.
Updated 27 February 2018
Follow

UN chief issues new plea to fight humanitarian crises

RIYADH: The world must do more to help the vulnerable and protect civilians threatened by war, famine and natural disaster, the UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres told a global humanitarian conference in Riyadh on Monday.
Guterres called on global leaders to step up humanitarian efforts and urged them to show solidarity with those affected, to bring peace and stability to the world.
Crises in Syria, Iraq, Libya and the occupied Palestinian territories had caused a great deal of suffering, and humanitarian workers faced life-threatening obstacles to reach the needy, the UN chief said in a video message to the inaugural Riyadh International Humanitarian Forum.
Last year, the international community had contributed to averting the threat of famine in Southern Sudan, Somalia, Yemen and north-eastern Nigeria, Guterres said. “Donor support made the difference between life and death.
“As needs increase more than ever, we must do more to help the vulnerable and ensure the protection of civilians.”
The forum was inaugurated by King Salman and attended by more than 1,000 delegates and representatives from more than 60 national and international humanitarian organizations.
Its aim was the exchange of views and experiences among experts carrying out humanitarian work throughout the world, and to highlight the achievements of the King Salman Center for Humanitarian Aid and Relief (KSRelief).
KSRelief has completed 300 humanitarian projects in 40 countries since it was established in May 2015, the organization’s Supervisor General, Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, told the forum.
Dr. Abdullah Al-Mouallimi, the Saudi Ambassador to the UN, said Saudi humanitarian efforts took no account of national boundaries. Beneficiaries included the needy in Palestine, Syria and Yemen, and in Rohingya refugee camps in Bangladesh, earthquake victims in many countries, and hurricane victims in the Caribbean. The UN estimated the world’s humanitarian relief needs at $22.5 billion, he said.
Saudi Arabia had always taken the initiative to lend a helping hand and support victims of man-made and natural disasters in all corners of the globe, Al-Mouallimi said.
Rashid Khalikov, assistant secretary-general for humanitarian partnerships with the Middle East and Central Asia at the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said zakat was one of the pillars of Islam and guaranteed that money would be given to the needy to achieve social cohesion.
Describing the forum as a welcome move to support humanitarian work, Khalikov said Saudi Arabia was generous in lending humanitarian assistance for relief operations and the reduction of poverty, hunger and infectious diseases around the world.


Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

Updated 57 min 12 sec ago
Follow

Israeli approval of West Bank land registration draws outrage

  • Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation

JERUSALEM: Israel’s government has approved a process to register land in the West Bank, drawing condemnation from Arab nations and critics who labelled it a “mega land grab” that would accelerate annexation of the Palestinian territory.
Israel’s foreign ministry said the measure would enable “transparent and thorough clarification of rights to resolve legal disputes” and was needed after unlawful land registration in areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.
But Egypt, Qatar and Jordan criticized the move as illegal under international law.
In a statement, the Egyptian government called it a “dangerous escalation aimed at consolidating Israeli control over the occupied Palestinian territories.”
Qatar’s foreign ministry condemned the “decision to convert West Bank lands into so-called ‘state property’,” saying it would “deprive the Palestinian people of their rights.”
The Palestinian Authority called for international intervention to prevent the “de facto beginning of the annexation process and the undermining of the foundations of the Palestinian state.”
Israeli anti-settlement watchdog Peace Now called Sunday’s measure a “mega land grab.”
According to public broadcaster Kan, land registration will be reopened in the West Bank for the first time since 1967 — when Israel captured the territory in the Middle East war.
The Israeli media reported that the process will take place only in Area C, which constitutes some 60 percent of West Bank territory and is under Israeli security and administrative control.
Palestinians see the West Bank as foundational to any future Palestinian state, but many on Israel’s religious right want to take over the land.
Last week, Israel’s security cabinet approved a series of measures backed by far-right ministers to tighten control over areas of the West Bank administered by the Palestinian Authority under the Oslo accords in place since the 1990s.
Those measures, which also sparked international backlash, include allowing Jewish Israelis to buy West Bank land directly and allowing Israeli authorities to administer certain religious sites in areas under the Palestinian Authority’s control.
Excluding Israeli-annexed east Jerusalem, more than 500,000 Israelis live in West Bank settlements and outposts, which are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory.