UN agency appeals to Gulf states to plug Palestinian aid gap

A Palestinian boy pulls his brother as he sits in a wheeled-suitcase as he walks down a street in a refugee camp in Gaza City on January 23, 2018. The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), set up after the 1948 creation of Israel that drove huge numbers of Palestinians from their homes, faces what the UN has described as the “most severe” crisis in its history as the US held back $65 million that had been assigned for it two weeks after President Donald Trump threatened future payments. (AFP/Mohammed Abed)
Updated 23 January 2018
Follow

UN agency appeals to Gulf states to plug Palestinian aid gap

NEW YORK: The UN agency for Palestinian refugees has asked European and Gulf donors to plug the $65 million funding gap created by the US decision to slash its contribution by more than half.

Pierre Krahenbuhl, commissioner-general of the UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), warned that schools and health clinics for Palestinians across the region could be shuttered as the agency seeks to raise a total of $500 million in the “Dignity is Priceless” campaign.

Krahenbuhl has been in funding talks with the EU, Belgium, Norway, Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands as well as looking to the Arabian Gulf, which has become a key donor in recent years.

“Saudi Arabia and the UAE have invested significantly in our reconstruction projects in Gaza in the aftermath of conflict,” Krahenbuhl told Arab News. “There is a renewed effort in mobilization that is required for our funding to become sustainable.”

Saudi Arabia was UNRWA’s third-biggest donor after the US and EU, Krahenbuhl said. Thanks also to large sums from Kuwait and the UAE, Arab League members met a decades-old pledge of funding 7.8 percent of the agency’s budget in 2015 and 2016, although the proportion dipped in 2017.

UNRWA is funded almost entirely by voluntary contributions from UN members. The US, by far the largest contributor, said this month it would withhold $65 million of its $125 million donation.

President Donald Trump questioned the value of such funding and linked donations with the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. The State Department said UNRWA needed to make unspecified reforms.

Trump complained on social media that the US gave the Palestinians “hundreds of millions of dollars a year and get no appreciation or respect.” He said: “With the Palestinians no longer willing to talk peace, why should we make any of these massive future payments to them?”

Aid should not be withheld to gain leverage against the Palestinians, Krahenbuhl said. “It is very important to preserve humanitarian funding from political considerations.”

About 525,000 boys and girls in 700 UNRWA schools could be affected by US cuts, as could health clinics, and the decision could promote extremism and further destabilize the Middle East, said Krahenbuhl.

More than half of the 2 million people in Gaza depend on support from UNRWA and other charities. Palestinians say the cut in US funding could deepen hardship in the Gaza Strip, where the unemployment rate is already 46 percent.


European diplomats call on Israel to reopen Palestinian community center in Jerusalem

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

European diplomats call on Israel to reopen Palestinian community center in Jerusalem

  • Israeli authorities have closed Burj Al-Luqluq for 6 months, a community association that provides youth activities in the Old City
  • European diplomatic missions in Jerusalem, Ramallah urge Israeli authorities to ensure access to essential services in East Jerusalem

LONDON: European diplomats expressed concern on Thursday over the Israeli authorities’ decision to close the Burj Al-Luqluq community center in the walled city of East Jerusalem.

A statement read: “For decades, the center has provided vital educational, cultural and sports programs, particularly for children and youth. This decision risks undermining the indispensable work of independent Palestinian civil society organizations in East Jerusalem.”

European diplomatic missions in Jerusalem and Ramallah have urged Israeli authorities to protect civic space, ensure access to essential services in East Jerusalem, and allow Burj Al-Luqluq to resume activities without delay.

The missions making the appeal were from Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK, according to the Palestine News Agency.

Israeli authorities on Thursday closed Burj Al-Luqluq for six months. It is one of the few community associations that provides youth activities in the Old City.

The center is strategically situated next to the northern and eastern walls of the Old City. It is the second-largest open area within the city’s walls, after the Al-Aqsa compound.

Founded in 1991, it offers sports, cultural, and social programs, along with women’s empowerment initiatives. It also provides a kindergarten, a computer lab and life skills training, and benefits between 300 and 500 people daily.

Israeli forces sealed the building’s doors by welding them shut and prevented access after delivering a closure order, according to the Jerusalem Governorate.

The governorate called the move a serious escalation in actions targeting Palestinian institutions in Jerusalem, which undermined residents’ rights to dignified living and safe community spaces for children and youngsters, the WAFA added.