RIYADH: Foreign ministers of the Saudi-led Arab coalition have announced a new $1.5 billion humanitarian aid package for Yemen.
The coalition met in Riyadh on Monday after the recent escalation in Houthi ballistic missile attacks on Saudi Arabia.
“The coalition will coordinate ... $1.5 billion in new humanitarian aid funding for distribution across UN agencies and international relief organizations,” the coalition announced in a statement.
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said in the opening statement: “Saudi Arabia has been the target of over 91 Houthi ballistic missiles.”
He blamed the militia for hardships ordinary Yemenis are facing: “The Houthis are responsible for the destruction in Yemen.”
The extensive aid plan was announced to help ease the suffering of the Yemeni people and ensure fair distribution of the aid.
The plan includes a six-flights-per-day airbridge of C-130 cargo planes filled with supplies to Maarib.
After the meeting, coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki, King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Centre (KSRelief) head Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, the Saudi and UAE ambassadors to Yemen and the UAE representative took questions regarding the plan.
The latest aid package, which follows last week’s $2 billion Saudi cash injection to Yemen’s central bank, comes amid an ever-broadening crisis in the country.
The new program seeks to open land, sea and air lanes to Yemen to boost monthly imports to 1.4 million metric tons from 1.1 million last year, the statement said.
The estimated number of Yemeni people in need of humanitarian help is close to 21 million, 10 million of whom are in dire need.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE will present $1 billion to the plan for Yemen humanitarian aid in 2018.
Since 2015 the Kingdom has delivered $8.1 billion in humanitarian assistance as well as $2 billion in development aid.
To facilitate the delivery of aid to the interior parts of Yemen, the coalition will set up 17 safe-passage corridors originating from six points.
The coalition also said it would also “increase the capacities of Yemeni ports to receive humanitarian” imports.
Saudi Ambassador to Yemen Mohammed Al-Jaber said: “When the Houthis launch missiles at Saudi Arabia they expect a big reaction, and that is true, our reaction is huge, and that is to increase our help and aid to the Yemeni people.”
Coalition spokesperson Col. Turki Al-Maliki echoed his words. “The Houthis try to provoke the coalition through their missiles and their attacks, but we fight back by giving more humanitarian aid to our brotherly country Yemen.”
“The coalition is placing its military resources at the disposal of these broad-ranging humanitarian operations,” Al-Maliki said. “We are backing a professionally planned and detailed humanitarian mission with military power and precision to guarantee that the humanitarian aid reaches the people who need it to lift their suffering.”
Arab coalition announces $1.5bn aid package for Yemen
Arab coalition announces $1.5bn aid package for Yemen
Saudi Film Festival to return in April with focus on Korean cinema
- Ahmed Al-Mulla, founder and director of the Saudi Film Festival, said in a statement: “We’re excited to welcome filmmakers to our annual gathering. Our doors are open to all creators, and filmmakers remain at the heart of everything we do
DHAHRAN: The Saudi Film Festival, organized by the Cinema Association in partnership with the King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture and supported by the Saudi Film Commission, has announced that it will launch at Ithra in Dhahran between April 23-29.
This year’s festival explores the theme of “Cinema of the Journey,” presenting a selection of Arab and international films, both short and feature-length, that center on journeys and movement as essential storytelling elements.
The program includes road movies, travel narratives and films where physical or emotional journeys drive the narrative.
The theme encourages Saudi filmmakers to explore this subject through their own perspectives. It positions cinema itself as an act of continuous transition, where identity, place, and time converge to shape the human experience.
FASTFACTS
• This year’s Saudi Film Festival will explore the theme of ‘Cinema of the Journey,’ presenting a selection of Arab and international films that center on journeys and movement as essential storytelling elements.
• The program includes road movies, travel narratives and films where physical or emotional journeys drive the narrative.
Following last year’s focus on Japanese cinema, the festival will present a special “Spotlight on Korean Cinema” this year.
Ahmed Al-Mulla, founder and director of the Saudi Film Festival, said in a statement: “We’re excited to welcome filmmakers to our annual gathering. Our doors are open to all creators, and filmmakers remain at the heart of everything we do. This year’s festival creates an atmosphere filled with inspiration, idea exchange, and shared learning. It’s a celebration of cinematic creativity for everyone.”
Tariq Al-Khawaji, deputy director of the festival, added: “At Ithra, we’re proud of our longstanding partnership with the Cinema Association. It has enabled the festival’s growth and thematic diversity year after year, which we see clearly in how we empower filmmakers and create opportunities to engage with global cinema.
“The festival continues to grow across all areas, from preparations and participation to industry expectations locally and regionally. That makes attention to every detail essential.”
Since its launch in 2008, the Saudi Film Festival has played a central role in nurturing local and Gulf cinema. After intermittent early editions, it has now established itself as an annual platform for narrative and documentary competitions, industry programs and project markets.
By bringing together emerging and established filmmakers in Dhahran each year, the festival strengthens Saudi Arabia’s growing presence on the global film stage.









