Turkey says Greece should not become haven for coup plotters

Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, right, and Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Kotzias shake hands after a joint news conference in Ankara, Turkey, on Tuesday.(AP)
Updated 24 October 2017
Follow

Turkey says Greece should not become haven for coup plotters

ANKARA/ISTANBUL: Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu warned Greece on Tuesday that Ankara did not want it to become a “safe haven” for plotters of last year’s coup attempt, citing the 995 people who have applied for asylum since the failed putsch.
Speaking at a joint news conference with his Greek counterpart, Nikos Kotzias, Cavusoglu said the asylum seekers needed to be evaluated to determine those linked to the network of the US-based cleric Turkey accuses of masterminding the putsch.
Kotzias said the decisions on asylum seekers were made by the Greek judiciary and had to be respected.
Graft probe
Turkish media reported Tuesday that businessman and leading civil society activist Osman Kavala is being detained as part of an investigation into a 2013 corruption probe, but also over last year’s attempted coup.
According to the Dogan news agency, Kavala was arrested as part of the investigation into corruption allegations that broke in December 2013 while President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was prime minister.
Erdogan denounced the scandal at the time, saying it was a “dirty” plot by his arch-foe, US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen, to bring down his government.
Erdogan’s government is now looking into the initial probe, which triggered the resignation of three ministers.
Metin Topuz, a US consulate employee in Istanbul who has been held since Sept. 25, is also being investigated as part of the same probe, Dogan reported.
The staffer’s arrest led to the deterioration of US-Turkey relations as the NATO allies’ embassies suspended mutual visa services.
Another US consulate employee was previously summoned by police over the same investigation, Dogan added.
Gulen, who lives in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, is accused of ordering the failed July 2016 coup against Erdogan, and authorities are reportedly also investigating Kavala over links to the coup.
Journalists on trial
Six journalists appeared in a Turkish court on terror charges Tuesday for reporting on a trove of allegedly hacked emails suggesting misconduct by Turkey’s energy minister.
The defendants are accused of disseminating propaganda for terrorist groups and other terror-related offenses after their reports on Berat Albayrak, a son-in-law of Erdogan. The reports were based on emails reportedly stolen from Albayrak’s personal email account by hackers and made available on WikiLeaks. The government has not confirmed their authenticity.
Speaking outside the Istanbul courthouse, defendant Derya Okatan, managing editor of Etkin News Agency, insisted she and colleagues were acting in the public’s interest.
Three of the defendants have been in jail for over 10 months. Okatan and two others were released from custody in January pending the outcome of the trial.


Clashes in the West Bank kill a 19-year-old Palestinian-American, Palestinian officials say

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Clashes in the West Bank kill a 19-year-old Palestinian-American, Palestinian officials say

TEL AVIV: Clashes in the Israeli-occupied West Bank killed a 19-year-old Palestinian-American man late Wednesday night, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.
The ministry said Nasrallah Muhammad Jamal Abu Siyam was shot by settlers in the village of Mukhmas, north of Jerusalem.
The Israeli military said soldiers responded to a violent confrontation in the area and attempted to disperse a riot. The military said that suspects shot at several Palestinians, who were evacuated for medical treatment.
Abu Siyam’s mother told The Associated Press that he also held American citizenship. The US Embassy did not respond to requests for comment Thursday,
Violence in the West Bank from extremist settlers has soared in the past few years.
Palestinians and rights groups say authorities routinely fail to prosecute settlers or hold them accountable for violence. Under National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir, investigations into settler attacks have plummeted, according to the Israeli rights group Yesh Din.
In a rare move earlier this week, Israeli prosecutors announced they plan to charge a settler in the killing of a Palestinian activist during a confrontation that was caught on video.
More than 3.4 million Palestinians and 700,000 Israelis live in the occupied West Bank and east Jerusalem, territories captured by Israel in 1967 and sought by Palestinians for a future state. The international community overwhelmingly considers Israeli settlement construction in these areas to be illegal and an obstacle to peace.
Report finds Palestinian journalists imprisoned in Israel were tortured
The Committee to Protect Journalists said that dozens of Palestinian journalists who were detained in Israel during the war in Gaza experienced terrible conditions, including physical assaults, forced stress positions, sensory deprivation, sexual violence and medical neglect.
CPJ has documented the detention of at least 94 Palestinian journalists and one media worker during the war in Gaza. It covers 32 journalists and one media worker from Gaza, 60 from the West Bank, and two from Israel. Thirty of the journalists are still in custody, CPJ said.
The report found that half of the journalists detained were never charged with a crime and were held under Israel’s administrative detention system, which allows for suspects deemed a security risk to be held for six months and can be renewed indefinitely.
Israel’s prison services did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the report, but had rejected a similar report in January about conditions for Palestinian prisoners as “false allegations,” contending it operates lawfully, is subject to oversight and reviews complaints.
UN development chief says removing Gaza rubble will take 7 years
The vast destruction across Gaza will take at least seven years just to remove the rubble, according to the United Nations Development Program.
Alexander De Croo, the former Belgian prime minister who just returned from Gaza, said that the UNDP had removed just 0.5 percent of the rubble and people in Gaza are experiencing “the worst living conditions that I have ever seen.”
De Croo said 90 percent of Gaza’s 2.2 million people live in “very, very rudimentary tents” in the middle of the rubble, which poses health dangers and a danger from exploding weapons.
He said UNDP has been able to build 500 improved housing units, and has 4,000 more that are ready, but estimates the true need is 200,000 to 300,000 units. The units are meant to be used temporarily while reconstruction takes place. He called on Israel to expand access for goods and items needed for reconstruction and the private sector to begin development.