Birthday boy Verstappen celebrates with victory in Sepang swansong

Red Bull driver Max Verstappen of the Netherlands holds his trophy aloft as he celebrates after winning the Malaysian Formula One Grand Prix at the Sepang International Circuit in Sepang, Malaysia, Sunday. (AP)
Updated 01 October 2017
Follow

Birthday boy Verstappen celebrates with victory in Sepang swansong

SEPANG, Malaysia: Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the final running of the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday as Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton finished second to extend his championship lead over Sebastian Vettel to 34 points.
Verstappen, who celebrated his 20th birthday a day earlier, overtook pole-sitter Hamilton on lap four before clinching the second victory of his career and first this season.
Mercedes driver Hamilton finished second with Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo third and Vettel, who started at the back of the grid, fourth.
With five races to go, Hamilton is edging ever closer to the title but Ferrari had a weekend to forget, after Kimi Raikkonen didn’t even make the starting grid and Vettel lost a rear wheel in a bizarre smash after the finish line.
Verstappen won by nearly 13 seconds from Hamilton to embellish what has been a tough season after he failed to finish seven races and only once reached the podium.
“The car was unbelievable, if I had to speed up I could. It was a very tough race and incredible to win,” said the Dutchman.
Hamilton admitted the Mercedes had been second-best. “Big congratulations to Max and happy birthday, he did a fantastic job today,” he said.
“The race was a tough one, obviously they just had the upper hand on us today... I feel good but I think we have some work to do with the car. Obviously we didn’t have the pace this weekend.”
Verstappen’s Red Bull teammate Ricciardo fought off a strong challenge from Vettel, who had started from the back following engine problems in qualifying.
“Seb came really quick at the end and I thought he was going to be a handful,” said Ricciardo. “But he only had one strong attack and then we were able to pull away.”
Ferrari’s fortunes had dimmed when Kimi Raikkonen’s car suffered a turbo failure before the start.
He was pushed back to the pit and the race was over before it had even begun for the former world champion, who had enjoyed his maiden win at Sepang in 2003.
“Obviously we had some issue. I don’t think any of us know what it is exactly. I’m pretty certain I would have had a very good car today,” a disappointed Raikkonen told reporters.
Vettel, who led the championship until just a month ago, now has only five races left to overhaul Hamilton’s big lead, starting next week in Japan.
“I think we have a very good car. If we start ahead, we win the race,” he said. “We had a little bit of sniff at the podium but unfortunately we ran out of tires.”
Once past Hamilton, Verstappen started to pull away and by lap 14 he had a seven-second cushion.
Vettel was picking off the back markers with ease courtesy of his second new engine of the weekend, and emerged in fourth in front of Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas after they both pitted for new tires.
As the top four entered the final 10 laps of the 56, Vettel set a new race lap record of 1min 33.864sec, smashing Juan Pablo Montoya’s 2004 mark of 1:34.223, and was closing fast on Ricciardo’s exhaust pipe.
Vettel made one daring attempt to grab the last podium spot up the inside of Ricciardo at the end of the pit straight with seven laps to go.
But the Australian closed him off and Vettel was forced to drop back and settle for fourth as his front tires started to degrade.
The drama didn’t end there as on his slow-down lap, Vettel collided with the Williams of Lance Stroll which left his Ferrari with one rear wheel on top of his car.
“That’s impossible,” Vettel thundered over the radio. “Stroll wasn’t looking where he was going!“
It was the 19th and last Malaysian Grand Prix at steamy Sepang.
The race will disappear from the calendar after Malaysia’s government decided it would no longer cover the $67 million a year cost of staging the loss-making event.


Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Footballco launches new Riyadh studio to boost creator-led content boom

  • Football media company’s venture caters for its Arabic video-first brands
  • Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums

RIYADH: Football media and culture company Footballco have opened a new production studio in Riyadh.

The move allows it to boost the volume of in-studio content created for its leading Arabic video-first football brands — Yalla Goal, Yalla Fans and Yalla Girl, as well as branded content for commercial partners.

The new studio complements Footballco’s Riyadh office, which opened in December 2024 as its Middle East headquarters. Footballco’s move to the city was driven by a desire to better serve clients in Saudi Arabia and to bring it closer to the country’s burgeoning football industry. The company now has 20 full-time staff in the Kingdom.

Footballco currently operates three video-first Arabic-language football brands in the region, all targeting Gen-Z and Gen-Alpha fans and fronted by experienced content creators. Yalla Goal combines spirited discussions, bold challenges and fun games, while Yalla Girl celebrates the growth of women’s football in Saudi Arabia and the region, with a focus on talent, personality, laughter and friendship. Footballco also plans to create in-studio formats for its fan-driven series, Yalla Fans, previously shot on location at football stadiums. 

The company’s decision to invest in creator-led, in-studio video formats is backed by its own research which found that, for young fans, brand partnerships with creators are seen as more valuable than official tournament partnerships.

Footballco’s new studio will increase the frequency of video content created for its channels, supported by two full-time hosts for Yalla Goal — Mohammed Bargat and Waleed Al-Shargi (better known as Shargi), who have a combined following of over 900,000 on their personal channels.

Andy Jackson, Footballco’s Middle East senior vice president, said: “With seven national teams from the region set to appear at the 2026 FIFA World Cup, eight if Iraq qualify through the play-offs, these new facilities and increasing video output sets our brands up for success at a time where we know there will be an unprecedented demand for fun, creator-led video content.

“We’re also excited to welcome both Bargat and Shargi to the team, with both having more than proved themselves as understanding how to create content that resonates with young fans and they are already familiar to our audiences.”

He added: “In December, our Arabic social channels generated over 1.7 billion video views, so we are building from an incredibly strong base to further cement our position as the clear market leader both in Saudi Arabia and the wider region. Our creator-led video formats have proved incredibly popular with brands, and this investment will see us able to offer a broader range of opportunities to our many commercial partners.”

While the World Cup this summer will see Footballco’s new studio in constant use, the company is also readying a slate of programming across Ramadan, with a 30-show spread culminating in an Eid special.

Taha Imani, Footballco’s head of video and social in the Middle East and North Africa region, said: “With YouTube becoming the number one place for fans to enjoy longform and short-form football content, and based on success across Footballco brands such as The Front Three in other markets, we’re expecting to grow at speed as we approach the World Cup giving fans exactly what they want from us on a daily basis.”