DUBAI: The brother of notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar has warned that Netflix should look into its security protocol after a location scout was shot dead in Mexico last week.
Seasoned location scout Carlos Muñoz Portal’s body was discovered in a remote area reported to have some of the country’s highest murder rates. He was looking for locations for hit Netflix show “Narcos,” which chronicles the rise of the cocaine trade in Colombia and the real-life stories of drug kingpins.
Since news of his murder broke, Roberto De Jesus Escobar Gaviria, 71, has called on media giant Netflix to avoid using Mexico and Colombia as shooting locations for the show “without authorization from Escobar Inc.”
He spoke to the Hollywood Reporter in an interview published Tuesday, saying: “It is very dangerous… Especially without our blessing. This is my country.”
Gaviria also shared his opinion that Netflix should provide the TV show’s crew with extra security.
“You have to eliminate all threats,” he said. “If you have the intellect, you don’t need to use weapons. If not, you have to. In this case, Netflix should provide hitmen to their people as security.”
A statement from Netflix on Muñoz’s death read: “We are aware of the passing of Carlos Muñoz Portal, a well-respected location scout, and send our condolences to his family.
“The facts surrounding his death are still unknown as authorities continue to investigate.”
In 2014, Gaviria founded Escobar Inc. and registered “successor-in-interest rights” for his brother in California. In July of 2016, he wrote a letter to Netflix demanding $1 billion for unauthorized use of content in the popular show.
Netflix should provide ‘hitmen,’ Pablo Escobar’s brother says after location scout murdered
Netflix should provide ‘hitmen,’ Pablo Escobar’s brother says after location scout murdered
Sydney man jailed for mailing reptiles in popcorn bags
- The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said
SYDNEY: A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.
The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.
A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.
The animals — including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks — were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.
“Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women’s handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes,” the statement said.
The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.
Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.
The New South Wales government’s environment department said that “the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime,” harming conservation and stripping the state “and Australia of its unique biodiversity.”









