NEW DELHI: The death toll from severe monsoon flooding across India has risen to at least 76, officials said Monday, with eight people killed in the past day in the worst-hit states.
Heavy rain in Gujarat has claimed 11 lives since Saturday as the monsoon intensified across the western state.
“Seven of these died in the last 24 hours and at least four others are still missing,” Pankaj Kumar, a Gujarat government official, told AFP.
Arunachal Pradesh and Assam in India’s northeast have been the hardest-hit, while pockets of the eastern states of Odisha and Bihar have also been affected.
In the hilly state of Assam 60 people have been killed and a state-wide emergency relief operation has been underway since the wet season arrived in April.
“One person died in the last 24 hours. Thousands have been rescued and are now in 118 relief camps set up by the government across 21 affected districts,” said Rajib Prakash Barua, a senior official with the state’s Disaster Management Authority.
Rains had eased in some parts of the state but five major rivers were still at danger levels, he added.
Rescue teams have also delivered grass and other feed to animals stranded in flooded sections of Assam’s Kaziranga National Park, home to India’s famed one-horned rhinos and other native species.
Power supply and rail and road services have been disrupted in the five worst-hit states.
Parts of Arunachal Pradesh have endured some of their worst floods and landslides for years amid more than a week of incessant rain.
At least five people were killed by a landslide last week in a remote village along the border with China.
The government has called in the army to help with relief and rescue operations in some parts of the worst-hit states.
Death toll climbs from India’s monsoon floods
Death toll climbs from India’s monsoon floods
Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks
- The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare
- The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas
DAKAR: Islamist militants have killed dozens of soldiers and civilians and overrun an army detachment over the past week in coordinated attacks across multiple regions of Burkina Faso, according to internal reports by two diplomatic missions reviewed by Reuters.
The operations by Al Qaeda–linked Jama’at Nusrat Al-Islam wal-Muslimin show the JNIM is increasingly able to mobilize across large swathes of territory at one time, said the reports, which described a list of locations and places that came under assault.
Burkina Faso’s military rulers seized power in a coup in 2022, promising to improve security. But militants’ attacks have increased in the West African country as state forces battle an insurgency that has spread across the Sahel from Mali.
The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare, the diplomatic reports said. One also described an assault in the eastern city of Fada N’Gourma and flagged another in the northern Ouahigouya area.
“These attacks, which were almost simultaneous and spread across several provinces, demonstrate unprecedented coordination between militants and the junta’s inability to contain the assaults,” said one of the internal reports, which put the death toll at more than 180.
The other gave no toll but said the incidents appeared coordinated and involved several hundred militants serving JNIM and possibly Daesh affiliates.
The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas, it said.
JNIM has said it killed scores of troops from the Burkinabe army in attacks in the past week, US-based SITE Intelligence Group said on Monday.
Burkina authorities did not respond to a request for comment on the assaults or casualty reports.
INJURED GHANAIANS RETURN HOME
In the northern town of Titao, militants attacked an army base and set a market on fire, the internal reports said.
Nearly 80 soldiers and pro-government militia members were killed, one said. The other said about 10 civilians were killed there.
The dead civilians included eight tomato traders, Ghana’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
SITE quoted a media unit for JNIM as saying the insurgents had seized military vehicles, guns and other possessions in the assaults. More than a decade of insurgencies in the Sahel has displaced millions and engendered economic collapse, with violence pushing further south toward West Africa’s coast.
JNIM claimed nearly 500 attacks in Burkina Faso in 2025 and nearly 300 in Mali, SITE’s director, Rita Katz, said in a social media post on LinkedIn.









