UN says 66,000 displaced in 5 months of north Syria fighting

Displaced Syrians, who fled their hometowns due to clashes between regime forces and the Daesh group, are seen in Kharufiyah, 18 kilometers south of Manbij, on March 4, 2017. (AFP / DELIL SOULEIMAN)
Updated 05 March 2017
Follow

UN says 66,000 displaced in 5 months of north Syria fighting

BEIRUT: A UN humanitarian agency says some 66,000 people have been displaced in five months of fighting in Syria’s crowded northern battlefield.
Turkish, Syrian government, Syrian opposition, and autonomous Kurdish-led forces have all been jostling for territory formerly held by the Daesh group near the Turkish-Syrian frontier, as preparations are being made to attack the extremists’ de facto capital, Raqqa.
The UN’s OCHA agency said Sunday that the Turkish and Syrian opposition campaign to capture Al-Bab from IS militants displaced 40,000 residents. They captured the town on Feb. 23, after starting operations in November.
The office said another 26,000 residents have been displaced in fighting around Manbij, held by Kurdish-led forces, and Al-Khafseh, held by IDaesh militants. Al-Khafseh is home to the main water station for Aleppo, Syria’s largest city.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 57 min 38 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.