Families aim to raise $15 million to search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Relatives of the victims of the missing Malaysia MH370 flight release the pigeons during the Day of Remembrance event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Saturday. (AP Photo/Daniel Chan)
Updated 04 March 2017
Follow

Families aim to raise $15 million to search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia: The families of those onboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 launched efforts Saturday to raise at least $15 million to fund a private search as they marked the third anniversary of the plane’s disappearance.
Malaysia, Australia and China suspended a nearly three-year search in the southern Indian Ocean on Jan. 17 after it failed to find any trace of the plane. The jet disappeared March 8, 2014, while flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people on board.
Jacquita Gomes, whose husband was a flight attendant on the plane, said families have no choice but to take matters into their own hands by raising the money.
“What happened to MH370 is a mystery, but it should not go down in the history books as a mystery. Everybody wants answers,” Gomes said at a three-hour remembrance event at a shopping mall near Kuala Lumpur.
Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai said in a speech at the event that a final report with information and analysis on what happened to the plane based on available data and evidence would be released this year. He didn’t say when.
He said authorities would step up efforts to comb for plane debris along the African coast. So far, Liow said, 27 pieces of debris have been found, including two new pieces found off Africa about two weeks ago. He said that three pieces of debris have been confirmed to be from Flight 370, and that five more are “almost certain” to be from the plane.
Despite the suspension of the $160 million hunt for the plane, Liow said authorities haven’t abandoned all efforts to locate the wreckage. He told reporters that an international team of experts in Australia is still studying whether an area north of the previous search area could be the plane’s final resting place.
Liow said there was an 85 percent chance that the new 25,000-square-kilometer (15,535-square-mile) area could be the crash site, and that experts needed more time to study satellite images, debris flow and other clues.
“Funding has never been an issue, but we have to be sure ... we need credible evidence,” said Liow, who was making his first appearance at a Flight 370 anniversary event organized by the families.
Gomes said that through online fundraising and corporate donations, families hope to raise at least $15 million to pursue the search in the new area recommended by the experts.
More than 30 family members from Malaysia, Australia, China, India and France went on stage and spoke about the urgency to find closure. They released eight white pigeons and shouted “Search on.”
“We will keep fighting, we will keep trying,” said Danica Weeks of Australia, whose husband was a passenger on Flight 370. “We have no peace at this point. It’s painful. It doesn’t get better with time.”


X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

X briefly hit by 'international outages': monitors

  • The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering," Netblocks said
  • Spokespeople for X did not respond to request for comment on the outage before service was restored

Service was restored to Elon Musk-owned social network X Monday afternoon after it had failed to show posts to users in many countries.

The site was displaying content, allowing users to post and otherwise functioning normally again around 1530 GMT, after the Down Detector tracking website reported a spike in outage reports around two hours before.

X had appeared to be suffering "international outages," connectivity monitor Netblocks posted on the open-source social network Mastodon during the disruption.

The breakdown was "not related to country-level internet disruptions or filtering", added Netblocks, which regularly flags technical issues with popular online services and sites as well as interference by national governments.

Its most recent posts about similar outages for X came on February 9, the day after the Super Bowl in the US, and February 1.

AFP journalists in countries including France and Thailand had also been unable to access X on Monday afternoon.

Spokespeople for X did not respond to AFP's request for comment on the outage before service was restored.

Musk laid off thousands of people at the former Twitter and changed its name after buying the service in 2022.

He has since merged it with his xAI company, which develops the Grok chatbot.

xAI is set to in turn be absorbed by Musk's rocket firm SpaceX, with that merged entity expected to go public as early as summer this year.