Injured Steyn named in South Africa’s World Twenty20 squad

Updated 10 February 2016

Injured Steyn named in South Africa’s World Twenty20 squad

JOHANNESBURG: South Africa on Wednesday named fast bowler Dale Steyn in their 15-man squad for the World Twenty20 tournament in India next month.
Steyn’s inclusion is subject to fitness as he has not played since suffering a shoulder injury in the first Test against England in December.
What was at first thought to be a minor injury was later diagnosed as a bone stress reaction likely to keep him out of action until shortly before the tournament.
The South African squad includes 10 of the players who helped them reach the semifinals of the 2014 World Twenty20 in Bangladesh.
A notable exclusion is fast bowler Morne Morkel, although Morkel has only played in one Twenty20 international since then.
There was no place, either, for Morkel’s elder brother, Albie, 34, who had been the subject of speculation that he might earn a recall after showing good domestic form.
Players new to the world event are fast bowlers Kyle Abbott and Kagiso Rabada, batsman Rilee Rossouw and all-rounders Chris Morris and David Wiese.
South Africa will use the same squad in two Twenty20 internationals against England on February 19 and 21 as well as three matches against Australia between March 4 and 9.
In the most recent bulletin on Steyn, Cricket South Africa targeted the Australia series as the most likely return for him.
South Africa will open their World Twenty20 campaign against England in Mumbai on March 18. Also in their group are Sri Lanka, the West Indies and a qualifier.
In their two most recent T20 series in Asia, South Africa beat Bangladesh and India on their own home turf. In between, they shared a home series against New Zealand.
South African captain Faf du Plessis said: “The World T20 is the competition that we have been working toward over the last 18 months.
“We have had disappointments in the past and this year is another great opportunity for us to lift that elusive ICC trophy. We have been playing together as a squad for some time now and are really hungry and motivated.”

South Africa’s 15-man squad:
Faf du Plessis (captain), Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de Kock (wkt), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, David Miller, Chris Morris, Aaron Phangiso, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, David Wiese.


FIA launches probe into fiery Grosjean crash at Bahrain Grand Prix

Updated 03 December 2020

FIA launches probe into fiery Grosjean crash at Bahrain Grand Prix

  • The Halo device is widely considered to have helped save Romain Grosjean’s life

SAKHIR, Bahrain: Motor racing chiefs announced on Thursday the launch of an investigation into Romain Grosjean’s fiery Bahrain crash, saying the forensic probe would take “around six to eight” weeks to complete.
The French Formula One driver somehow wrenched himself free from his blazing Haas car with just burns to his hands and a broken left foot after a collision with Daniil Kvyat on the first lap of Sunday’s Grand Prix. He left hospital on Wednesday.
In the immediate aftermath of the shocking smash there was widespread praise for modern safety measures in the sport, but also concern over what F1’s motor sport managing director Ross Brawn described as “unpredictable” failures.
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) said it had “initiated a detailed analysis of Romain Grosjean’s accident at the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix.”
The FIA’s safety director, Adam Baker, said: “With so much data available in Formula 1, it allows us to accurately determine every element of what occurred and this work has already begun.
“We take this research very seriously and will follow a rigorous process to find out exactly what happened before proposing potential improvements.”
The FIA probe will look at a range of factors including Grosjean’s helmet, safety harness, headrest, in-car extinguisher and the Halo cockpit protection.
The Halo device is widely considered to have helped save Grosjean’s life as his car was sliced in two after careering into a barrier.
“The ‘halo’ saved the day and it saved Romain,” Brawn said on Sunday.
“There was controversy in developing it initially, but there can’t be any doubt now, so hats off to those who pushed for the introduction.”
But he added: “The fire is worrying. The split in the barrier is worrying and the barrier coming apart, but we can be happy with the safety of the car – that got us through today, but things failed in an unpredictable way.
“We haven’t seen anything like that for a very long time, but the barrier splitting normally results in a fatality.”
At the circuit new safety measures have been introduced to reduce the risk of a repeat crash at this Sunday’s Sakhir Grand Prix.
Two rows of tires wrapped in a conveyor belt have been installed in front of a reconstructed guardrail at the exit of Turn Three.
Several drivers expressed serious concerns at the failure of the barrier and the manner in which it was punctured.
In other changes to the circuit, where this weekend’s Grand Prix will be using the shorter “outer loop’, a kerb has been removed at Turn Nine – which was used as Turn 13 last Sunday – and a tire barrier in the approach to that corner has been extended and enlarged to four rows in depth.
Grosjean left hospital on Wednesday and in an Instagram post he highlighted the professionalism of a marshal with an extinguisher and the FIA doctor in the following Safety Car, who was on the scene very quickly.
“I told him he was a hero,” said Grosjean.
“He went into the fire as much as he could to save me. I felt Ian’s hands pulling me over the barrier and I knew I was safe... life will never be the same again.”
Grosjean is resting and healing from burns at a hotel in Abu Dhabi where he hopes he will be fit enough to race in the season-closing race next weekend.