Arab News co-founder Mohammed Ali Hafiz passes away

Mohammed Ali Hafiz, who co-founded Arab News in 1975, was a pioneering figure in Saudi Arabia’s media industry. (AN Photo)
Short Url
Updated 18 May 2026
Follow

Arab News co-founder Mohammed Ali Hafiz passes away

  • Kingdom loses prominent figure who contributed to the development of English-language journalism
  • We will continue to honor his legacy, vision, and work ethic, says Editor-in-Chief Faisal J. Abbas

RIYADH: Mohammed Ali Hafiz, who co-founded Arab News in 1975 and was a pioneering figure in Saudi Arabia’s media industry, passed away in Jeddah on Sunday morning.

With his passing, the Kingdom loses a prominent figure who contributed to the development of English-language journalism in Saudi Arabia and who helped establish a media platform that went on to become internationally recognized. He served as Arab News’ editor-in-chief from Oct. 1, 1977, to Oct. 1, 1979.

Mohammed Ali Hafiz, who was in his late 80s, leaves behind a wife, four sons and a daughter.

Funeral prayers will be held after Fajr prayers at the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah on Monday.

Condolences will be received on Monday and Tuesday between Maghrib and Isha prayers in Jeddah. Men’s condolences will be held at King Salman Mosque, northwest of the intersection of King Street and Sari Street, while women’s condolences will be held at his residence in Al-Shati district on Ali Abu Alaa Street.

In a condolence message, Arab News Editor-in-Chief Faisal J. Abbas said: “May he rest in peace. We vow to continue to honor his legacy, vision, and work ethic.”

Last year, Mohammed Ali Hafiz was honored by Arab News at the newspaper’s 50th anniversary event at the Diplomatic Quarter in Riyadh. A trophy, presented in recognition of his pioneering contributions to Saudi journalism and media, was received on his behalf by renowned economist and columnist Talat Zaki Hafiz. It was presented to him by Prince Turki Al-Faisal, in the presence of Deputy Media Minister Abdullah Al-Maghlouth, Dean of the Diplomatic Corps Dya-Eddine Said Bamakhrama, the ambassador of Djibouti, and Faisal Abbas.




Last year, Mohammed Ali Hafiz was honored by Arab News at the newspaper’s 50th anniversary event at the Diplomatic Quarter in Riyadh. A trophy, presented in recognition of his pioneering contributions to Saudi journalism and media, was received on his behalf by renowned economist and columnist Talat Zaki Hafiz. It was presented to him by Prince Turki Al-Faisal, in the presence of Deputy Media Minister Abdullah Al-Maghlouth, Dean of the Diplomatic Corps Dya-Eddine Said Bamakhrama, the ambassador of Djibouti, and Editor-in-Chief Faisal J. Abbas. (AN Photo)

Mohammed Ali Hafiz’s older brother and fellow Arab News co-founder Hisham Ali Hafiz died in 2006.

Born into a prominent publishing family with deep roots in Saudi journalism (their father and uncle owned the Al-Madinah daily), the Hafiz brothers revolutionized media in the Kingdom. Under their vision, Arab News launched from a modest garage in Jeddah and went on to establish a standard for journalistic credibility and English-language reporting in the region.

Their initial success paved the way for them to establish the Saudi Research and Media Group, growing it into one of the largest media conglomerates in the Middle East. Throughout their careers, the brothers also launched other major publications, including Asharq Al-Awsat, the first Arabic-language international daily newspaper.

Mohammed Ali Hafiz spent the majority of his life shaping modern Saudi journalism before retiring following a prolific career.

Writing in the 50th anniversary edition, Faisal Abbas wrote: “Brothers Hisham and Mohammed Ali Hafiz, two legendary figures in Saudi Arabia’s media landscape, launched Arab News in April 1975.

“Little did anyone know at the time that this experiment in the unknown would later give birth to not only one of the region’s most successful and influential publications, but also to a whole stable of them, including sister publications Asharq Al-Awsat, Al-Eqtisadiah, Sayidaty and Al-Majallah. Eventually, this venture became what is known today as the Saudi Research and Media Group.

“The Hafiz brothers had printer’s ink in their DNA. In 1937, the brothers’ father, Ali Abdul Qader Hafiz, and their uncle, Osman, launched a weekly newspaper, Al-Madinah, on which the two boys worked during their school holidays. As such, there is no wonder the company grew so well under their leadership.”

Arab News and all members of staff mourn the loss of the newspaper’s co-founder.