Moroccan lawyers end strike after reform bill suspended: bar

Lawyers take part in a protest in front of the Moroccan parliament in Rabat on February 6, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Moroccan lawyers end strike after reform bill suspended: bar

  • Moroccan lawyers had launched a rolling strike protesting the bill several weeks ago, deeming it a threat to their independence and demanding a participatory approach

RABAT: Lawyers in Morocco ended a weeks-long strike on Monday after the government suspended a bill regulating the legal sector and created a commission tasked with initiating dialogue, a professional association said.
Omar Mahmoud Bendjelloun, a board member of the Association of Moroccan Bars (ABAM), told AFP that Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch had promised on Wednesday to “personally take charge” of the bill with the cooperation of the ABAM, “putting in place a mixed commission” of officials and legal practitioners.
Justice Minister Abdellatif Ouahbi had initiated the legislation, which was presented as being intended to modernize the sector and strengthen anti-corruption measures.
The government approved the text of the bill in December, but has now put off forwarding it to the parliament for a vote as previously planned.
Moroccan lawyers had launched a rolling strike protesting the bill several weeks ago, deeming it a threat to their independence and demanding a participatory approach.
Early this month, thousands of black-robed lawyers gathered in the capital Rabat for a demonstration against the measure.
A main point of contention was the provision to grant the courts direct disciplinary power over lawyers. Normally, disciplinary matters are handled internally by the bar association.
According to Bendjelloun, the government has since taken “a step back,” opening the door for a “way out of the crisis.”
Justice Minister Ouahbi told a session of parliament earlier this month that the “matter is in your hands.”
“Let them (the lawyers) give you the changes they want and I will discuss them with you,” he said. “I am ready to drop, modify or reform anything that harms lawyers.”
But, he added, “the legal profession needs change, and I will implement that change.”
 

 


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.