Rhodes, Choi seize early lead as Ciganda thrills with ace in Riyadh

1 / 2
Hye-Jin Choi carded an impressive eight-under-par 64. (Supplied)
2 / 2
Mimi Rhodes carded an impressive eight-under-par 64. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2026
Follow

Rhodes, Choi seize early lead as Ciganda thrills with ace in Riyadh

  • Briton, South Korean both open with 8-under 64
  • KSA youth program has 370 students taking part

RIYADH: Mimi Rhodes and Hye-Jin Choi set the early pace at the PIF Saudi Ladies International after both carded impressive eight-under-par 64 in the opening round at Riyadh Golf Club on Wednesday.

The pair lead in the curtain raiser for the 2026 PIF Global Series and the Ladies European Tour, with Japan’s Chizzy Iwai, Belgium’s Manon De Roey and defending champion Patty Tavatanakit in close pursuit.

Britian’s Rhodes delivered a flawless, bogey-free round highlighted by a strong finish, while South Korea’s Choi surged into contention with six birdies across her opening nine holes.

Choi, who boasts seven top-10 finishes in major championships, has carried her strong late-2025 LPGA form into the new season after finishing inside the top 30 in her last six tournaments.

Making her PIF Global Series debut, Choi said: “My shots didn’t feel that good, but my putting was crazy. I made two long putts and then after that I felt better and much more confident, so that’s why I feel I played well.

“I played really well last year, and have only started well today, so I don’t know what the future holds yet, but I’ll just give it my best shot.”

Rhodes, the 2025 LET Rookie of the Year, credited her consistency and strong putting performance for her fast start after the winter break.

“Clearly a lot went well for me today. Having had so much time off (over the winter break), I was a bit nervous at the start,” she said. “I left a few putts short, but the game felt solid.

I missed a few greens on the front nine, but I made up-and-downs. On the back nine, I just forgot about my score, and I was trying to make as many birdies as I could. I don’t think I missed a green on the back nine, so everything was feeling good. My putting was on point.

“I think the course is the best that’s it’s ever been. The greens have improved so much, they’re rolling so nice and I just got used to the speed of them early on and focused a lot on the practice rounds. I was looking at breaks and the speed of the greens, and it paid off today.”

One of the standout moments of the opening round came from Spain’s Carlota Ciganda, who struck a hole-in-one at the 157-yard (144-meter), par-three eighth hole, on her way to posting a five-under-par 67.

“I had 144 meters, and I played a par three a couple of holes before that, hit a nine (iron), and it was pretty good. So, I just hit the same club, the wind was very similar, and it just went straight to the pin.

“We couldn’t see, so I didn’t know what happened, and then the camera guy told us that it went in, so it took us a few seconds to realize. I am very happy to have a hole in one and start the day like this,” Ciganda said.

Ciganda highlighted the growing popularity of golf in Saudi Arabia and the tournament’s role in expanding the women’s game. “Every time I come to Saudi I see more people here, more kids, more women, everyone enjoying themselves.

“I know golf is a pretty new sport here, but I think the more we play and the more we come, the more normal is going to be so I’m very happy to be playing here, and hopefully we can make an impact.”

Beyond the on-course action, the event continues to support youth engagement through the Sustained Futures initiative, which aims to inspire the next generation through golf clinics, career talks and course tours.

The 2026 program launched with 370 students set to take part over the four-day tournament.

“Leading this youth engagement initiative is profoundly meaningful to me, as it represents an opportunity to foster dialogue, empowerment, and positive development among young people,” said Iven Ilievska, spokesperson for Sustained Futures.

“Seeing so many bright young people looking to the future, capturing innovative ideas, and stepping forward as advocates for change makes me incredibly proud.

“Sustained Futures is using sport as a powerful platform to raise awareness about environment consciousness and help bridge the green skills gap. It’s an honor to lead this engagement and to connect with such inspiring young minds.”


Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Barca suffer title defense blow in Girona derby defeat

  • Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time

GIRONA, Spain: Spanish champions Barcelona fell to a damaging 2-1 defeat at Girona on Monday to leave them trailing Real Madrid by two points at the top of La Liga.
Los Blancos beat Real Sociedad on Saturday to overtake the Catalans and Hansi Flick’s side could not defeat Girona in an gripping derby clash to reclaim the lead.
Teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a penalty for Barcelona, who took the lead through defender Pau Cubarsi just before the hour mark.
However goals from Thomas Lemar and Fran Beltran helped Girona, 12th, mount an impressive comeback.
“We have to improve because they can’t score these two goals against us,” Cubarsi told DAZN.
“We have to be self-critical, we didn’t play a great game, we have to improve, but now we have to rest and charge our batteries.”
Both sides were attacking with abandon in the first half and it was remarkable they went in goalless at the break.
Raphinha whipped a shot narrowly wide and Yamal fired straight at Girona goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaniga when through on goal.
At the other end Ukrainian striker Vladyslav Vanat missed a slew of presentable opportunities.
Ferran Torres fired a good chance wide for Barca and Raphinha drove against the upright as Flick’s side pushed for the opener.
They should have got it when Dani Olmo was clumsily felled in the box by Daley Blind, but Yamal hit the post from the spot.
Barcelona eventually took the lead through Pau Cubarsi’s header from Jules Kounde’s cross after 59 minutes, but Girona swiftly pulled level.
Thomas Lemar slipped away from Eric Garcia and turned home Vanat’s pass from close range.
It shifted the momentum in Girona’s favor and Barca were left relying on some stunning saves from goalkeeper Joan Garcia to keep them afloat.
The stopper denied Ivan Martin and Vanat with a remarkable double save, and then thwarted Joel Roca with his leg.
Barca could not stem the tide and Girona forced their way in front after 87 minutes, with Fran Beltran stroking home from the edge of the area.
The visitors, who last week made an official complaint to the Spanish football federation over perceived refereeing inconsistencies, were left fuming after Kounde was fouled by Claudio Echeverri in the build-up and it went unpunished.
Girona ended the game with 10 men when Roca scythed down Yamal to cut short a desperate Barca attack deep in stoppage time.
It did the job and the hosts celebrated wildly at the end with their jubilant fans at Montilivi, as Flick demanded explanations from the referee.
“It seemed like a foul (on Kounde) to me, but we shouldn’t focus on decisions we can’t control,” said Barca defender Gerard Martin.