Pakistan’s proposed power prices to lift inflation, help industry, analysts say

A shopkeeper cleans the floor in front of a shop, a day after a country-wide power breakdown, in Karachi, Pakistan, on January 24, 2023. (REUTERS/File)
Short Url
Updated 12 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan’s proposed power prices to lift inflation, help industry, analysts say

  • Plan ends system where businesses subsidised household energy bills
  • Analysts estimate middle-class household may pay 50 percent more for power 

KARACHI/SINGAPORE: Pakistan’s new power price proposals will increase inflation and shift the International Monetary Fund-mandated (IMF) subsidy cuts onto middle-class households while easing pain for industries, analysts say.

The plan, ending a system where businesses subsidised household energy bills, could trigger a 1.1 percentage point jump in inflation over 12 months, Optimus Capital Management said.

Analysts say the plan, which only needs formal approval to come into effect, will cause industrial prices to fall between 13 percent and 15 percent and remove 102 billion ($365 million) rupees in subsidies.

That means middle-class households will have to pay roughly 50 percent more for power, the analysts estimated.

INFLATION BACKDROP

Pakistan endured one of Asia’s highest inflation spikes in 2023, nearing 40 percent, driven by a weakening rupee, rising fuel costs and price hikes linked to IMF-backed reforms.

Although inflation has since slowed to 5.8 percent, analysts warn the changes to power prices could add inflationary pressure.

Pakistan’s power ministry and the IMF did not respond to a request for comment.

Ahtasam Ahmad, Energy Finance Program Lead at consultancy Renewables First, said that because purchasing power for the average household had significantly declined, the change “adds to the compounding effect of inflation which we have experienced post-2022.”

The pricing overhaul underscores tensions within Pakistan’s IMF program, which has mandated steep utility price hikes since 2023 to support struggling state power firms.
Industrial groups say high prices erode export competitiveness in textiles and manufacturing.

Consumers using between 100 and 300 units of power monthly — representing a majority of paying residential users — will face rate increases of up to 76 percent due to new fixed charges under the pricing overhaul, according to Arzachel, a Karachi-based energy consultancy.

The lowest-income households using 1-100 units monthly will see fixed charges jump to PKR 400 from zero, the National Electric Power Regulatory Authority (NEPRA) said on Monday.

SOLAR PRICING IN QUESTION

The regulator has also cut the rate paid to rooftop solar users exporting power to the grid, replacing a system that previously valued supplied and purchased electricity equally.

A record surge in solar installations has cut emissions and lowered bills for some households but squeezed revenues at debt-laden utilities as demand for grid power declines.

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday ordered a review of NEPRA’s solar changes, directing officials to prevent a transfer of costs from 466,000 solar users to 37.6 million grid consumers.


Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan increases Reko Diq investment to $244 million as Barrick reviews project

  • State-owned PPL injects $50.2 million more in special purpose vehicle formed to manage Islamabad’s 25 percent stake in copper-gold mine
  • Canadian operator Barrick Mining Corporation this month ordered project’s review following deadly separatist attacks in Balochistan province

KARACHI: The state-run Pakistan Petroleum Limited (PPL) has invested an additional Rs14 billion ($50.2 million) equity in the multi-billion-dollar Reko Diq copper-gold mine, the company said in its latest financial report on Thursday, as the project’s Canadian operator reviews the project following recently deadly attacks. 

Canada’s Barrick Mining Corporation owns a 50 percent share in Reko Diq in the southwestern Balochistan province, along with three Pakistani federal state-owned enterprises including PPL that own 25 percent, while the Balochistan government has the remaining 25 percent share in the project.

The Canadian company announced earlier this month it planned to “immediately” begin a comprehensive review of all aspects of the Reko Diq project following coordinated attacks in Balochistan on Jan. 30-31 that killed 36 civilians and 22 security forces personnel. 

“With respect to the Reko Diq project, the company has made further equity investment in Pakistan Minerals Private Limited (PMPL) during the period amounting to Rs14,025 million ($50.2m),” PPL told its shareholders in its financial statement for the half year ending at Dec. 31.

The additional equity has increased PPL’s total cost of investment in the PMPL to Rs68.1 billion ($243.6 million), it added. 

The PMPL is a special purpose vehicle formed to manage the federal government’s 25 percent stake in the Reko Diq project. It is a consortium of three state-owned enterprises (SOEs) namely the PPL, the Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) and Government Holdings (Private) Limited (GHPL) which is responsible for handling financing, equity contributions and strategic, legal or technical dealings with partners like Barrick.

“The project continued to advance site works during the period (July-December FY26),” the PPL said. “The operator (Barrick) is undertaking a review of all aspects of the project, including with respect to the project’s security arrangements, development timetable and capital budget.” 

This week, Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti assured investors that Pakistan has the “capacity and capability” to secure the Reko Diq project amid surging militancy. 

The PPL explores, drills, and produces oil and natural gas. Its current portfolio, together with its subsidiaries and associates, consists of 47 exploratory blocks that include one offshore Block-5 in Abu Dhabi and one onshore block in Yemen.

In December, PPL signed a strategic Deed of Assignment under which it assigned 25 percent of its participating interest (PI) and operatorship of Eastern Offshore Indus C block to Turkish Petroleum Overseas Company, a unit of state-owned Türkiye Petrolleri Anonim Ortaklığı.

Assigning 20 percent PI each to OGDCL and Mari Energies Limited, the company has retained the remaining 35 percent PI to play a key role in the block’s development.