India look forward to Pakistan ‘challenge’ at T20 World Cup

India's assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate speaks at the press conference on the eve of the third Twenty20 international cricket match between India and Bangladesh at Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium in Hyderabad on October 11, 2024. (AFP/ file)
Short Url
Updated 10 February 2026
Follow

India look forward to Pakistan ‘challenge’ at T20 World Cup

  • Pakistan government late Monday ended a week-long stand-off by rescinding order for its team to boycott Feb. 15 match
  • Pakistan’s decision to go ahead with the match was hailed Tuesday as an outbreak of ‘good sense’ and ‘good for cricket’

NEW DELHI: India said Tuesday it would be “a challenge” to face a “quality” Pakistan team in Colombo after Islamabad U-turned and decided to play the blockbuster T20 World Cup clash.

The Pakistan government late Monday ended a week-long stand-off by rescinding its order for the cricket team to boycott the February 15 match.

“It’s great that the game is back on, we kind of never changed the preparation,” said India assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate.

India will face a second Group A match against Namibia on Thursday in New Delhi before flying to Sri Lanka.

It means a quick turnaround for Sunday’s match, the biggest and most lucrative clash in world cricket.

“It’s going to be a challenge going to Colombo where Pakistan have been for the last two weeks,” added Ten Doeschate.

“We are delighted to have another chance to play against a quality side in the first phase of the tournament.

“We are fully focused on just bringing our best game to that fixture.”

Pakistan’s decision to go ahead with the match was hailed Tuesday as an outbreak of “good sense” and “good for cricket.”

A frantic weekend of negotiations saw International Cricket Council (ICC) and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chiefs fly to Lahore on Sunday for talks with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

The governments of Bangladesh and Sri Lanka both wrote to the Islamabad government on Monday urging it to change its stance and allow the game to go ahead.

After “multilateral discussions, as well as the request of friendly countries, the Government of Pakistan hereby directs the Pakistan National Cricket Team to take the field on February 15,” the Islamabad government said on its official X account late Monday night.

The decision had been taken with the aim of “protecting the spirit of cricket,” it added.

’GOOD FOR CRICKET’

Former India cricketer Madan Lal told AFP on Tuesday that it was “good for cricket.”

“We want strong teams to play so that the charm of the World Cup is not lost,” he added.

Sri Lanka, who will host the match which generates multi-millions of dollars in advertising, broadcast rights, sponsorship and tourism, also praised the decision.

Sri Lankan President Anura Kumara Dissanayake, in a social media post, thanked Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif for “ensuring the game we all love goes on.”

Veteran Indian journalist Pradeep Magazine told AFP “good sense has prevailed on all sides.”

Financial considerations would have been taken into account, he added.

“Everyone realized that losing the revenue from an India-Pakistan match would have been a loss-loss situation for all ICC member nations.”

The 20-team tournament has been overshadowed by an acrimonious political build-up.

Bangladesh, who refused to play in India citing security concerns, were replaced by Scotland.

As a protest, the Pakistan government ordered the team not to face co-hosts India in the Group A fixture.

Pakistan, who edged out Netherlands in the tournament opener on Saturday, would have conceded two points if they had forfeited the match.

Pakistan will play all their T20 World Cup matches in Sri Lanka as part of an International Cricket Council deal that ensures the two nations only meet on neutral territory.

India captain Suryakumar Yadav said on Friday before their opening win against the USA that his team would travel to Colombo for the clash, whether the game was on or not.

“We haven’t said no to playing them,” Suryakumar said. “Our flights are booked and we are going to Colombo.”

 


Pakistan opposition to continue protest over ex-PM Khan’s health amid conflicting reports

Updated 16 February 2026
Follow

Pakistan opposition to continue protest over ex-PM Khan’s health amid conflicting reports

  • Pakistan’s government insists that the ex-premier’s eye condition has improved
  • Khan’s personal doctor says briefed on his condition but cannot confirm veracity

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s opposition alliance on Monday vowed to continue their protest sit-in at parliament and demanded “clarity” over the health of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan, following conflicting medical reports about his eye condition.

The 73-year-old former cricket star-turned-politician has been held at the high-security Adiala prison in Rawalpindi since 2023. Concerns arose about his health last week when a court-appointed lawyer, Barrister Salman Safdar, was asked to visit Khan at the jail to assess his living conditions. Safdar reported that Khan had suffered “severe vision loss” in his right eye due to central retinal vein occlusion (CRVO), leaving him with just 15 percent sight in the affected eye.

On Sunday, a team of doctors from various hospitals visited the prison to examine Khan’s eye condition, according to the Adiala jail superintendent, who later submitted his report in the court. On Monday, a Supreme Court bench led by Chief Justice Yahya Afridi observed that based on reports from the prison authorities and the amicus curiae, Khan’s “living conditions in jail do not presently exhibit any perverse aspects.” It noted that Khan had “generally expressed satisfaction with the prevailing conditions of his confinement” and had not sought facilities beyond the existing level of care.

Having carefully perused both reports in detail, the bench observed that their general contents and the overall picture emerging therefrom are largely consistent. The opposition alliance, which continued to stage its sit-in for a fourth consecutive day on Monday, held a meeting at the parliament building on Monday evening to deliberate on the emerging situation and discuss their future course of action.

“The sit-in will continue till there is clarity on the matter of [Khan's] health,”  Sher Ali Arbab, a lawmaker from Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) party who has been participating in the sit-in, told Arab News, adding that PTI Chairman Gohar Ali Khan and Opposition Leader in Senate Raja Nasir Abbas had briefed them about their meeting with doctors who had visited Khan on Sunday.

Speaking to reporters outside parliament, Gohar said the doctors had informed them that Khan’s condition had improved.

“They said, 'There has been a significant and satisfactory improvement.' With that satisfactory improvement, we also felt satisfied,” he said, noting that the macular thickness in Khan’s eye had reportedly dropped from 550 to 300 microns, a sign of subsiding swelling.

Gohar said the party did not want to politicize Khan’s health.

“We are not doctors, nor is this our field,” he said, noting that Khan’s personal physician in Lahore, Dr. Aasim Yusuf, and his eye specialist Dr. Khurram Mirza had also sought input from the Islamabad-based medical team.

“Our doctors also expressed satisfaction over the report.”

CONFLICTING ACCOUNTS

Despite Gohar’s cautious optimism, Khan’s personal physician, Dr. Yusuf, issued a video message on Monday, saying he could neither “confirm nor deny the veracity” of the government’s claims.

“Because I have not seen him myself and have not been able to participate in his care... I’m unable to confirm what we have been told,” Yusuf said.

He appealed to authorities to grant him or fellow physician, Dr. Faisal Sultan, immediate access to Khan, arguing that the ex-premier should be moved to Shifa International Hospital in Islamabad for specialist care.

Speaking to Arab News, PTI’s central information secretary Sheikh Waqas Akram said Khan’s sister and their cousin, Dr. Nausherwan Burki, will speak to media on Tuesday to express their views about the situation.

The government insists that Khan’s condition has improved.

“His eye [condition] has improved and is better than before,” State Minister Talal Chaudhry told the media in a brief interaction on Monday.

“The Supreme Court of Pakistan is involved, and doctors are involved. What medicine he receives, whether he needs to be hospitalized or sent home, these decisions are made by doctors. Neither lawyers nor any political party will decide this.”