Thousands protest Israeli President Herzog’s visit to Australia

Israeli President Isaac Herzog speaks after laying a wreath for victims of the December 14, 2025 gun attack at the Bondi Pavilion, in Sydney on February 9, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 09 February 2026
Follow

Thousands protest Israeli President Herzog’s visit to Australia

  • The Jewish Council of Australia, a vocal critic of the Israeli government, released an open letter ⁠on Monday signed by over 1,000 Jewish Australian academics and community leaders, urging Albanese to rescind Herzog’s invitation

MELBOURNE: Thousands gathered across Australia on Monday ​to protest the arrival of Israeli President Isaac Herzog, who is on a multi-city trip aimed at expressing solidarity with Australia’s Jewish community following a deadly mass shooting last year.
Herzog is visiting Australia this week following an invitation from Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in the aftermath of the December 14 shooting at a Hanukkah event at Sydney’s Bondi Beach that killed 15.
The visit has attracted the ire of some people in Australia, who accuse Herzog of being complicit in civilian deaths in Gaza. Pro-Palestine groups have organized protests ‌in cities and ‌towns across the country on Monday evening.
In Sydney, thousands gathered ‌in ⁠a ​square ‌in the city’s central business district, listening to speeches and shouting pro-Palestine slogans.
“The Bondi massacre was terrible but from our Australian leadership there’s been no acknowledgment of the Palestinian people and the Gazans,” said Jackson Elliott, a 30-year-old protester from Sydney.
“Herzog has dodged all the questions about the occupation and says this visit is about Australia and Israeli relations but he is complicit.”
There was a heavy police presence with a helicopter circling overhead and officers patrolling on horseback.
About 3,000 police personnel ⁠will be deployed across Sydney during Herzog’s visit to the city.

PRESIDENT COMMEMORATES LIVES LOST
Herzog began his visit at Bondi ‌Beach, where he laid a wreath at a memorial for ‍the victims of the attack. He ‍also met survivors and the families of 15 people killed in the shooting.
“This was ‍also an attack on all Australians. They attacked the values that our democracies treasure, the sanctity of human life, the freedom of religion, tolerance, dignity and respect,” Herzog said in remarks at the site.
In a statement, the Executive Council of Australian Jewry Co-Chief Executive Alex Ryvchin said Herzog’s visit “will lift the ​spirits of a pained community.”
Some Jews oppose the visit.
The Jewish Council of Australia, a vocal critic of the Israeli government, released an open letter ⁠on Monday signed by over 1,000 Jewish Australian academics and community leaders, urging Albanese to rescind Herzog’s invitation.

POLICE DEPLOY SPECIAL POWERS
Authorities in Sydney have declared Herzog’s visit a major event and have been authorized to use rarely invoked powers during the visit, including the ability to separate and move crowds, restrict their entry to certain areas, direct people to leave and search vehicles.
The Palestine Action Group organizing the protest failed in a legal challenge in a Sydney court on Monday against restrictions placed on the expected demonstration.
“We’re hoping we won’t have to use any powers, because we’ve been liaising very closely with the protest organizers,” New South Wales Police Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna told Nine News on Monday.
“Overall, it is all of the community that we ‌want to keep safe ... we’ll be there in significant numbers just to make sure that the community is safe.” 


Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

Updated 23 February 2026
Follow

Putin says developing Russia’s nuclear forces ‘absolute priority’

  • Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine

MOSCOW: President Vladimir Putin said Sunday that developing Russia’s nuclear forces was now an “absolute priority” following the expiry of its last remaining nuclear treaty with the US.
“The development of the nuclear triad, which guarantees Russia’s security and ensures effective strategic deterrence and a balance of forces in the world, remains an absolute priority,” Putin said in a video message.
His speech came on Russia’s “Defender of the Fatherland Day,” a holiday that is an occasion for military pomp and Kremlin-sponsored patriotism.
Putin vowed to keep “strengthening the army and navy” and draw on military experience from the nearly four-year conflict in Ukraine.
All branches of the armed forces would be improved, he said, including their “combat readiness, their mobility, and their ability to operate in all conditions, even the most difficult.”
Putin’s remarks came just two days before the fourth anniversary of Russia’s assault on Ukraine that sparked a war that has shattered towns, uprooted millions and killed large numbers on both sides.
Moscow and Washington — the world’s two main nuclear powers — are no longer bound by any arms control pact since the New START agreement expired earlier this month.
But Russia said it would continue taking a “responsible” approach to strategic nuclear capability and respecting the limits set on its arsenal.