Czech prime minister in favor of social media ban for under-15s

An internet user scrolls through TikTok. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 February 2026
Follow

Czech prime minister in favor of social media ban for under-15s

  • Countries including Spain, Greece, Britain and France are weighing tougher stances on social media use due to concern over the perceived negative effects on children

PRAGUE: Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babis said on Sunday he was in favor of banning the use of social media by ​children under 15, as a growing number of European countries consider similar restrictions.
Countries including Spain, Greece, Britain and France are weighing tougher stances on social media use due to concern over the perceived negative effects on children, after Australia in December became the ‌first nation ‌to prohibit access to ‌such platforms ⁠for ​the ‌under-16s.
“I am in favor because the experts I know say that it is terribly harmful to children. We must protect our children,” Babis said in a regular video message posted on several of his social media accounts on ⁠Sunday, without giving further details.
Later in the day, the ‌government’s first deputy prime minister, Karel ‍Havlicek, told a ‍television chat show on private broadcaster CNN Prima ‍News that the cabinet was seriously considering proposing a ban. If it decides to go ahead, Havlicek said legislation would be proposed this year.
Spain ​and Greece proposed bans on social media use by teenagers last week, as attitudes ⁠hardened in Europe against technology some say is designed to be addictive. The measures announced by Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez drew fury from Elon Musk, the billionaire owner of the X platform, formerly Twitter.
Britain is considering an Australia-style ban, while France is working through legislation to ban children aged under 15 from social media use.
Governments and regulators worldwide are looking ‌at the impact of children’s screen time on their development and mental wellbeing.


WFP warns Somalia food aid to halt, millions at risk

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

WFP warns Somalia food aid to halt, millions at risk

BERLIN: The United ​Nations World Food Programme (WFP) on Friday warned its emergency ‌food assistance in ‌Somalia ​will ‌be ⁠forced ​to halt ⁠by April without immediate funding, putting millions ⁠at risk ‌as ‌the ​country ‌faces ‌a severe drought and deepening hunger crisis. ‌A quarter of the population, 4.4 ⁠million ⁠people, are facing crisis-levels of food insecurity, the WFP said.