Usman Nurmagomedov reigns supreme at PFL Road to Dubai

Usman Nurmagomedov defetaed Afie Davis at PFL Road to Dubai on Saturday night. (PFL)
Short Url
Updated 08 February 2026
Follow

Usman Nurmagomedov reigns supreme at PFL Road to Dubai

  • Ramazan Kuramagomedov leaves Dubai with gold after capturing the inaugural PFL Welterweight World Championship

DUBAI: One champion retained his Professional Fighters League title and another claimed championship gold as PFL Road to Dubai concluded Saturday at the Coca-Cola Arena, ushering in a new era for the PFL.

Usman Nurmagomedov (21-0, 1 NC) once again demonstrated his dominance, remaining the undefeated PFL Lightweight World Champion with a fourth-round submission victory over challenger No. 2-ranked Alfie “The Axe Man” Davis (20-6-1) in the main event. The No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the PFL, Nurmagomedov secured the fifth defense of his 155-pound title, which he originally won in 2022.

In the co-main event, No. 2-ranked Ramazan Kuramagomedov (14-0) became the inaugural PFL Welterweight World Champion with a unanimous decision victory over fellow Russian Shamil Musaev (20-1-1). Kuramagomedov applied relentless forward pressure throughout the fight, using his championship-round experience to dictate the pace and deny No. 1-ranked Musaev any opportunity to settle into a rhythm, a dynamic that ultimately defined the contest.

Following the win, Kuramagomedov told Dan Hardy in the PFL cage that he may have sustained a broken arm during the fight and even suggested the possibility of retirement.

The Welterweight division was treated to the Lazy King show, as No. 5-ranked Abdoul “Lazy King” Abdouraguimov (20-1) returned with a victory over Kendly “The Highlander” St. Louis (11-6), which brings his winning streak to 10 straight victories. Cartwheeling his way to the cage, his creative submission attempts and big strikes kept the American at bay, with the Frenchman picking up the split decision victory.

In a Featherweight bout, PFL newcomer Salamat Isbulaev (10-0) extended his undefeated record in emphatic fashion, maintaining his 100 percent finish rate. The Kazakhstani started cautiously, respecting the power of former champion Jesus Pinedo (25-8-1), but a takedown and transition into the crucifix position proved decisive. From there, he unleashed a barrage of elbows that forced a TKO stoppage over the Peruvian powerhouse.

In the main card opener for PFL Road to Dubai, No. 8-ranked Pouya Rahmani (6-0) once again showed why he is one of the most dangerous heavyweights in the sport, submitting Karl Williams (10-5) with a dominant arm-triangle choke in the second round.


Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’

  • Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
  • “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou

LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”