KUALA LUMPUR: India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Malaysian counterpart Anwar Ibrahim renewed pledges on Sunday to bolster trade and explore potential collaborations in semiconductors, defense and other fields.
Modi is on a two-day visit to the Southeast Asian nation, his first since the two countries elevated ties to a comprehensive strategic partnership in August 2024.
Anwar said the partnership included deep collaborations in multiple fields, including trade and investments, food security, defense, health care and tourism.
“It’s really comprehensive, and we believe that we can advance this and execute in a speedy manner with the commitment of our both governments,” he told a press conference after hosting Modi at his official residence in the administrative capital Putrajaya.
Following their meeting, Anwar and Modi also witnessed the exchange of 11 cooperation agreements, including on semiconductors, disaster management and peacekeeping.
Anwar said India and Malaysia would continue efforts to promote the use of local-currency settlement for cross-border activities and expressed hope that bilateral trade would surpass last year’s $18.6 billion.
Malaysia will also support India’s efforts to open a consulate in Malaysia’s Sabah state on Borneo island, Anwar said.
India, Malaysia renew pledges to boost trade, collaboration
Short Url
https://arab.news/vxr7y
India, Malaysia renew pledges to boost trade, collaboration
- PM Anwar and Modi also witnessed the exchange of 11 cooperation agreements, including on semiconductors, disaster management and peacekeeping
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte will not attend pre-trial ICC hearing: court
- Former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte will not be present at his pre-trial hearing at the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity next week, the court said Friday
THE HAGUE: Former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte will not be present at his pre-trial hearing at the International Criminal Court over alleged crimes against humanity next week, the court said Friday.
“The hearing on the confirmation of charges shall be held in the absence of Mr.Duterte,” the ICC said in a statement, granting a request from Duterte’s defense to waive his right to appear.
“The hearing on the confirmation of charges shall be held in the absence of Mr.Duterte,” the ICC said in a statement, granting a request from Duterte’s defense to waive his right to appear.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










