Saudi Arabia condemns deadly mosque bombing in Pakistan’s capital

People mourn the death of their relative in a suicide bombing at a Shiite mosque, outside a hospital in Islamabad, Pakistan, on February 6, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 06 February 2026
Follow

Saudi Arabia condemns deadly mosque bombing in Pakistan’s capital

  • The Kingdom rejects targeting of places of worship, expresses solidarity with Pakistan
  • Saudi foreign ministry offers condolences to victims’ families, wishes injured recovery

ISLAMABAD: Saudi Arabia on Friday condemned the suicide bombing that targeted a mosque in Islamabad, expressing solidarity with Pakistan after the attack killed and injured dozens on the outskirts of the capital.

The blast, which struck during Friday prayers, killed at least 31 people and wounded more than 160 others, according to Pakistani authorities.

In a statement issued by its foreign ministry, Saudi Arabia denounced the targeting of a place of worship and rejected all forms of violence and extremism.

“The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia expresses its strong condemnation and denunciation of the terrorist bombing that targeted a mosque in the capital of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Islamabad,” the statement said.

It added that the Kingdom stood firmly against attacks on civilians and places of worship and reaffirmed its support for Pakistan in confronting militant violence.

The ministry also extended condolences to the families of those killed and expressed sympathy with the Pakistani government and people, wishing the wounded a speedy recovery.

No militant group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, which Pakistani officials say is being investigated.


Turkmenistan aiming to diversify gas exports to Pakistan, India, other nations — ex-president

Updated 22 February 2026
Follow

Turkmenistan aiming to diversify gas exports to Pakistan, India, other nations — ex-president

  • Turkmenistan’s gas exports have been limited by a lack of pipeline infrastructure and most of the gas it sells overseas goes to China
  • Gurbanguly ‌Berdymukhamedov says global firms welcome to participate in project to carry Turkmenistan’s gas to energy-hungry South Asia

ASHGABAT: Former Turkmen President Gurbanguly ‌Berdymukhamedov said that his country’s “primary goal” was to diversify exports of its enormous gas reserves, the world’s fourth ​largest, according to the transcript of an interview published on Sunday.

A mostly desert country of around 7 million, Turkmenistan’s gas exports have been limited by a lack of pipeline infrastructure. Most of the gas it sells overseas goes to China.

Berdymukhamedov served as president from 2007 ‌to 2022, when he ‌stepped down in favor ​of ‌his ⁠son, ​Serdar. He ⁠remains influential as Turkmenistan’s “National Leader.”

In an interview with Saudi broadcaster Al Arabiya published by Turkmen state media, Berdymukhamedov said that international companies were welcome to participate in the TAPI pipeline project, which would carry the country’s gas to energy-hungry markets in ⁠Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India.

Turkmenistan says it ‌will finish the first ‌leg of the pipeline, to the ​Afghan city of ‌Herat, around the end of 2026. No plans ‌have been announced to extend the pipeline further south.

The project, which Berdymukhamedov said is backed by the United States, would have to overcome longstanding tensions between Afghanistan, Pakistan, ‌and India, with bouts of lethal fighting breaking out on the countries’ ⁠shared borders ⁠in the past year.

Berdymukhamedov also said that Turkmenistan supports the proposed Trans-Caspian Pipeline, which would carry the country’s gas to Europe via the Caspian Sea, Azerbaijan and Turkiye, but that issues with Azerbaijan around the delimitation of the Caspian seabed must be solved before work can begin.

The former president was speaking during a visit to the US, which has in recent months courted ​the countries of Central ​Asia, where Russia and China have traditionally enjoyed primacy.