UN to resume aid flights to Sanaa

A man walks outside the United Nations compound following reports of UN staffers being detained by the Houthis, in Sanaa, Yemen October 29, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 04 February 2026
Follow

UN to resume aid flights to Sanaa

  • The UN has warned of a worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen with some 21 million people needing aid, including millions living in Houthi-controlled areas

GENEVA: Vital aid flights to the Houthi-controlled capital of Yemen, blocked for a month by the Iran-aligned group, will resume this month, allowing critical supplies to reach millions in need amid a worsening humanitarian crisis, the UN said on Wednesday.

The Houthis’ decision on Tuesday to approve flights for the month of February will allow aid groups to enter and exit the capital, Sanaa, which is under the group’s control, UN Resident Coordinator and Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen Julien Harneis said in a statement.

The UN has warned of a worsening humanitarian crisis in Yemen with some 21 million people needing aid, including millions living in Houthi-controlled areas.

Yemen has suffered 11 years of conflict between the Houthis, who seized the capital Sanaa in 2014, and the internationally recognized government based in Aden. Some 4.8 million people are internally displaced and nearly half a million children require treatment for severe malnutrition.

On Friday, the UN had said the Houthis had not let the UN Humanitarian Air Service fly to Sanaa for over a month or to the city of Marib for over four months. These flights are the only way for NGO workers to enter and exit Houthi-controlled areas, Harneis said, and UN operations are limited to government-held areas.

The Houthis have previously described the work of some UN agencies as a political, military and intelligence operation aimed at subjugating Yemenis — allegations the United Nations denies.


Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Turkiye foreign minister to attend Trump’s Board of Peace meeting in Washington

  • Hakan Fidan to call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue
  • To also emphasize Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza, stop its ceasefire violations
ANKARA: ‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s “Board of Peace” on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
A Turkish diplomatic source said ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.
Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Turkiye’s ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza’s reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said. He will also call for urgent action against Israel’s “illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank,” ⁠the ⁠source added.
According to a readout from Erdogan’s office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve “the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for,” and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.