JERUSALEM: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Tuesday that holding elections now would be a “mistake,” as he faces the possibility of a snap vote should he fail to pass a national budget.
The budget will have its first reading on Wednesday in Israel’s parliament, where Netanyahu’s coalition is only able to exercise a majority thanks to the uncertain cooperation of a former ally.
“Of course I’m concerned... I think we’re in a very sensitive situation,” Netanyahu said at a televised press conference.
Failure to pass the budget by March 31 would trigger early elections.
“I think the last thing we need right now is elections. We’ll have elections later on this year, but I think it’s a mistake to have them now” he said.
Elections are due to be held by November.
The leader of Likud, Israel’s main right-wing party, Netanyahu holds the record for the longest time served as Israel’s premier — more than 18 years in total over several stints since 1996 — and has already said he intends to run again.
In the last elections, Likud won 32 seats in the Knesset, its ultra-Orthodox allies 18, and a far-right alliance 14.
Some of Netanyahu’s ultra-Orthodox allies formally left his government last year, but for now refuse to bring it down.
However, they are reluctant to vote for the budget until the premier makes good on a promise to pass a law allowing their community to avoid military conscription.
Netanyahu’s current term began with a controversial judicial overhaul plan that sparked months of mass protests, with tens of thousands of Israelis taking to the streets almost daily.
Israel’s Netanyahu says it would be a ‘mistake’ to hold elections now
Short Url
https://arab.news/g4ja3
Israel’s Netanyahu says it would be a ‘mistake’ to hold elections now
- Failure to pass the budget by March 31 would trigger early elections
Turkiye says Greece-Chevron activity off Crete unlawful
ANKARA: Turkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece’s “unilateral activities” in hydrocarbon fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US oil major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighborly relations.
The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding the United States’ presence in the eastern Mediterranean.
“We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country,” the Turkish Defense Ministry said at its weekly press briefing.
It said the activity, while not directly impacting Turkiye’s continental shelf in the region, also violated Libya’s maritime jurisdiction declared to the United Nations on May 27, 2025.
“We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece.
The 2019 agreement signed by Turkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea and was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Turkiye and Libya.
The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.
Neighbours and NATO members Turkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.
A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw in rhetoric between the two countries, though issues have remained unresolved despite leaders voicing a desire to address them.
The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding the United States’ presence in the eastern Mediterranean.
“We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country,” the Turkish Defense Ministry said at its weekly press briefing.
It said the activity, while not directly impacting Turkiye’s continental shelf in the region, also violated Libya’s maritime jurisdiction declared to the United Nations on May 27, 2025.
“We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece.
The 2019 agreement signed by Turkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea and was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Turkiye and Libya.
The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.
Neighbours and NATO members Turkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.
A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw in rhetoric between the two countries, though issues have remained unresolved despite leaders voicing a desire to address them.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










