Turkiye says Greece-Chevron activity off Crete unlawful

Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis speaks prior to signing a Chevron-led consortium lease contracts for gas exploration off Greece, at the Prime Minister's office in Athens, Greece, February16, 2026. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Turkiye says Greece-Chevron activity off Crete unlawful

  • The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available ‌for exploration

ANKARA: Turkiye said on ‌Thursday it opposed Greece’s “unilateral activities” in hydrocarbon fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US oil major Chevron as ​a violation of international law and good neighborly relations.
The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding the United States’ presence in the eastern Mediterranean.
“We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding ‌on Maritime Jurisdiction ‌between Libya and our ​country,” ‌the ⁠Turkish Defense Ministry ​said at ⁠its weekly press briefing.
It said the activity, while not directly impacting Turkiye’s continental shelf in the region, also violated Libya’s maritime jurisdiction declared to the United Nations on May 27, 2025.
“We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to ⁠take action against these unilateral and ‌unlawful activities by Greece.
The 2019 ‌agreement signed by Turkiye and ​Libya set out maritime boundaries ‌in the Mediterranean Sea and was rejected by Greece ‌as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Turkiye and Libya.
The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available ‌for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major ⁠as the ⁠European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.
Neighbours and NATO members Turkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.
A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw in rhetoric ​between the two ​countries, though issues have remained unresolved despite leaders voicing a desire to address them.


Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Updated 6 min 55 sec ago
Follow

Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.

Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.

Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers. 

Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said. 

Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.