BERLIN: German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius has called on US President Donald Trump to apologize for remarks suggesting that America’s NATO allies in Afghanistan avoided frontline service, joining a chorus of criticism from European politicians and army veterans.
Trump caused deep offense among US allies when he told Fox Business Network last week that the US had “never needed” the transatlantic alliance and accused allies of staying “a little off the front lines” in Afghanistan.
“It’s just not right and it’s disrespectful to talk about the dead of your allies in that way. They all stood there, at the side of the United States. To claim something else today is simply not true,” he told a talk show on Germany’s ARD public broadcaster late on Sunday.
Thousands of German troops took part in NATO’s Operation Enduring Freedom and Resolute Support missions in Afghanistan and 59 were killed. The operations were launched following the Al-Qaeda attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.
Pistorius said he would bring up the issue the next time he spoke with US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and he urged Trump to apologize.
“That would be a sign of decency, respect and also insight,” he said.
His comments follow similar statements from other European politicians including British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who called Trump’s remarks “frankly appalling,” in a departure from his usual avoidance of direct criticism of the US president.
Trump on Saturday praised “brave” British soldiers, though he made no apology for his earlier comments and he did not mention the sacrifices of other NATO allies. Britain lost 457 service personnel in Afghanistan.
Trump administration officials have been critical of European countries for failing to meet NATO spending targets and for being too dependent on the US for their own defense.
Pistorius, who has been leading a drive to rebuild Germany’s armed forces, said Europe had to accept it could not depend on the US as it had over the past 70 years but that the German military was on an “excellent path” to achieving its goals of being back up to strength by 2029.
German defense minister urges Trump to apologize for Afghanistan remarks
Short Url
https://arab.news/wmqnc
German defense minister urges Trump to apologize for Afghanistan remarks
- Pistorius said he would bring up the issue the next time he spoke with US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and he urged Trump to apologize
Venezuelan lawmaker says 379 political prisoners granted amnesty
- Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released
CARACAS: Venezuelan authorities granted amnesty to 379 political prisoners, a lawmaker overseeing the process said on Friday, after a new mass amnesty law was enacted following the ouster of former leader Nicolas Maduro.
Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released.
National Assembly deputy Jorge Arreaza said in a televised interview on Friday that a total of 379 people “must be released, granted amnesty, between tonight and tomorrow morning.”
“Requests have been submitted by the Public Prosecutor’s Office to the competent courts to grant amnesty measures,” he said.
Many relatives of prisoners across Venezuela have waited outside jails for weeks for the potential release of their loved ones.
Hundreds have already been granted conditional release by Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government since the deadly US raid that seized Maduro.
The NGO Foro Penal had said before the announcement that some 650 were detained, a toll that has not been updated since.
Foro Penal director Alfredo Romero said Friday that receiving “amnesty is not automatic,” but would require a process in the courts, viewed by many as an arm of Maduro’s repression.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Venezuelans have been jailed in recent years over plots, real or imagined, to overthrow Maduro’s government.
Rodriguez was formerly Maduro’s vice president and took his place as the South American country’s leader with the consent of US President Donald Trump, provided that she toe Washington’s line.
The United States has taken over control of Venezuela’s oil sales, with Trump vowing a share for Washington in the profits.
Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released.
National Assembly deputy Jorge Arreaza said in a televised interview on Friday that a total of 379 people “must be released, granted amnesty, between tonight and tomorrow morning.”
“Requests have been submitted by the Public Prosecutor’s Office to the competent courts to grant amnesty measures,” he said.
Many relatives of prisoners across Venezuela have waited outside jails for weeks for the potential release of their loved ones.
Hundreds have already been granted conditional release by Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government since the deadly US raid that seized Maduro.
The NGO Foro Penal had said before the announcement that some 650 were detained, a toll that has not been updated since.
Foro Penal director Alfredo Romero said Friday that receiving “amnesty is not automatic,” but would require a process in the courts, viewed by many as an arm of Maduro’s repression.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Venezuelans have been jailed in recent years over plots, real or imagined, to overthrow Maduro’s government.
Rodriguez was formerly Maduro’s vice president and took his place as the South American country’s leader with the consent of US President Donald Trump, provided that she toe Washington’s line.
The United States has taken over control of Venezuela’s oil sales, with Trump vowing a share for Washington in the profits.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










