LONDON: Florian Wirtz said Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with lowly Burnley on Saturday “feels like a defeat” after the Premier League champions dropped points for the fourth straight game.
Arne Slot’s men are unbeaten in their past 12 games in all competitions but are struggling to kill teams off.
Germany international Wirtz put the home side ahead at Anfield on Saturday after Dominik Szoboszlai missed a penalty but Marcus Edwards levelled with the visitors’ only shot on target in the 65th minute.
Liverpool had a total of 32 shots, including 11 on target, but could not make their dominance count.
Wirtz, who has hit form after a slow start to his Anfield career, said the result was frustrating.
“It feels like a defeat,” he said. “When we had so many shots and so many on target, I think we had to score more goals.
“But some days are like this — you try everything but in the end, it doesn’t go in the goal. We only take one point but I can only say (in) the next game we go again and try to do better.”
Liverpool boss Slot bemoaned his side’s bluntness in attack and tendency to concede goals despite giving away few chances.
“We should have won this game,” he told the BBC. “There was not a lot I could ask more in terms of chance creation.”
The draw leaves Liverpool fourth in the Premier League table, seven points behind third-placed Aston Villa and one ahead of Manchester United, in fifth spot.
Liverpool draw ‘feels like defeat’, says Wirtz
https://arab.news/9hbc9
Liverpool draw ‘feels like defeat’, says Wirtz
- Arne Slot’s men are unbeaten in their past 12 games in all competitions
- Germany international Wirtz put the home side ahead at Anfield on Saturday
Postecoglou admits taking Nottingham Forest post a ‘bad decision’
- Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September
- “There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou
LONDON: Ange Postecoglou has said he has only himself to blame for an extraordinarily brief reign as Nottingham Forest manager, with the Australian accepting he made “a bad decision” taking on the job with the Premier League strugglers.
Postecoglou, 60, was appointed as Nuno Espirito Santo’s successor in September.
But infamously impatient Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis sacked Postecoglou just 39 days later, after the experienced manager lost six of his eight games in charge.
Postecoglou, reflecting on his time at Forest for the Overlap podcast, said an over-eagerness to get back into management after his departure from Tottenham Hotspur three months earlier, had been the root cause of his troubles at the City Ground.
“There’s no point me blaming it on ‘I didn’t get time’ or anything,” said Postecoglou. “I should never have gone in there. That was on me. That was a bad decision by me to go in there. I’ve got to take ownership of that.
“It was too soon after Tottenham. I was taking over at a time where they were kind of used to doing things a certain way and I’m obviously going to do things differently. I’ve got to cop that, that was my mistake. It’s no-one else’s fault.”
Postecoglou remains without a club but he has ruled out returning to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful two-year stint from 2021-23, with the 73-year-old Martin O’Neill currently in caretaker charge of the Scottish champions until the end of the season.
“I loved Celtic, it’s a wonderful football club,” said Postecoglou, who left the Glasgow giants to join Spurs. “If I was younger, I probably would have stayed there longer. I probably would have stayed there three, four years.
“I think I could have made progress with them in Europe but at the time, it had taken me a long time to get to this sort of space, and the opportunity to join Tottenham was too good.
“In terms of going back, I don’t go back. I just don’t think that’s kind of been my career.
“Whatever the next step is, it’ll be something new, somewhere I can make an impact in, somewhere I can win things, but it doesn’t diminish the affection I have for Celtic.”










