Jordanian field hospital in southern Gaza carries out complex procedure on Palestinian patient

The hospital commander said that the operation was carried out by specialized medical, anesthesia, and operating-room teams. (Petra)
Short Url
Updated 22 December 2025
Follow

Jordanian field hospital in southern Gaza carries out complex procedure on Palestinian patient

  • Jordan runs field hospitals in north, south Gaza

LONDON: The Jordanian field hospital in southern Gaza performed a complex surgical procedure this week on a 21-year-old Palestinian patient suffering from an enlarged spleen caused by thalassemia.

The hospital commander said that the operation was carried out by specialized medical, anesthesia, and operating-room teams, which provide advanced care to the people of Gaza amid challenging conditions.

A general surgeon said that the patient needed urgent surgery due to dependence on weekly blood transfusions which had led to iron overload and heart complications. A successful splenectomy was performed after necessary preparations, according to the Jordan News Agency.

Jordan runs two field hospitals in Gaza: one in the north, established in 2009, and another in Khan Younis in the south, which was created in November 2023.

The hospital in southern Gaza includes specialized clinics that cover various medical fields. These include general surgery, internal medicine, orthopedic surgery, anesthesia and intensive care, dermatology, vascular surgery, neurosurgery, pediatric and neonatal surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, plastic and burn surgery, and maxillofacial surgery. Additionally, a mobile prosthetics support unit is available.

Jordan’s humanitarian initiatives in Gaza also include programs such as the land bridge for aid deliveries, the mobile bakery, and the evacuation of critical cases to Jordanian hospitals.


Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Landmine explosion in Sudan kills 9, including 3 children

KHARTOUM: A land mine explosion killed nine people in Sudan on Sunday, including three children, as they were riding in an auto-rickshaw along a road in the frontline region of Kordofan, a medical source told AFP.
The war between the regular army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), which began in April 2023, has left Sudan strewn with mines and unexploded ordnance, though the explosive that caused Sunday’s deaths could also have dated back to previous rebellions that have shaken South Kordofan state since 2011.
“Nine people, three of them children, were killed by a mine explosion while they were in a tuk-tuk,” a medical source at Al-Abbasiya hospital said.
The vehicle was reduced to “a metal carcass,” witness Abdelbagi Issa told AFP by phone.
“We were walking behind the tuk-tuk along the road to the market when we heard the sound of an explosion,” he said. “People fell to the ground and the tuk-tuk was destroyed.”
Kordofan has become the center of fighting in the nearly three-year war ever since the RSF forced the army out of its last foothold in the neighboring Darfur region late last year.
Since it broke out, Sudan’s civil war has killed tens of thousands of people and forced 11 million to flee their homes, triggering a dire humanitarian crisis.
It has also effectively split the country in two, with the army holding the north, center and east while the RSF and its allies control the west and parts of the south.