MANCHESTER: Two-thirds of women’s national team players earn less than $20,000 annually, according to a new FIFPRO survey that highlights persistent financial insecurity and structural gaps in the women’s game.
The global players union and affiliated national players unions surveyed 407 footballers from 41 nations who participated in the UEFA Women’s Euros, Copa America Femenina, the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations and the OFC Women’s Nations Cup.
Some 66 percent of players earn below $20,000 annually from football and nearly one-third of respondents reported earning between $0 and $4,999 from football, while only a small minority reached higher income brackets.
Professional clubs remain the main source of income, followed by national team payments, yet one in four players still rely on jobs outside football to make ends meet.
“Financial stability is a cornerstone of any career,” said FIFPRO’s Director of Women’s Football Alex Culvin. “The data is very clear: most players are earning insufficient income to ensure secure careers within the game.
“It is a risk to the sustainability of the sport because players will be inclined to leave football early to make ends meet.”
The survey, conducted between August and October, also revealed short-term contracts remain common: 33 percent of players were signed for one year or less, and 22 percent had no contract at all.
International competition schedules continue to strain players, with 58 percent saying pre-match rest was inadequate and 57 percent reporting insufficient recovery after games.
Travel conditions are also an issue, with three-quarters of players flying economy class during tournaments, with only 11 percent in premium economy or business.
While FIFPRO noted improvements since their 2022 survey – including increased prize money and a player-dedicated share at the Women’s Euros – similar reforms have not been replicated across other confederations.
Culvin said stakeholders must “continue to raise standards to support the increased professionalization of the women’s game.”
Most women’s national team players earn less than $20,000, FIFPRO study shows
Short Url
https://arab.news/yvgvr
Most women’s national team players earn less than $20,000, FIFPRO study shows
- Some 66 percent of players earn below $20,000 annually from football
- Nearly one-third of respondents reported earning between $0 and $4,999 from football
Del Toro wins shortened UAE Tour first stage
- Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday
LIWA OASIS: Mexican youngster Isaac Del Toro powered to victory in a sprint finish in a shortened opening stage of the UAE Tour on Monday.
The 22-year-old, who finished second in last year’s Giro d’Italia, made a perfect start to his race by beating Dutchman Cees Bol and Italy’s Antonio Tiberi to the finish line of a stage reduced from 144km to 118km due to high winds.
It was an impressive display of strength from Del Toro, getting the better of the pure sprinters.
“It’s unbelievable, it’s crazy,” Del Toro said. “I don’t know exactly (how it happened) but I just see the chance and I don’t want to regret it.”
Italian Jonathan Milan was expected to be in the frame for the stage win but crashed heavily at a roundabout 1,500m from the end.
Del Toro, who rides for UAE Team Emirates, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his teammate Tadej Pogacar who won the race last year.
Belgian star Remco Evenepoel is likely to be one of his main challengers, after two-time Tour de France champion Jonas Vingegaard pulled out ahead of the first stage due to a recent crash and illness.
Tuesday’s second stage is a 12km time-trial.
The 22-year-old, who finished second in last year’s Giro d’Italia, made a perfect start to his race by beating Dutchman Cees Bol and Italy’s Antonio Tiberi to the finish line of a stage reduced from 144km to 118km due to high winds.
It was an impressive display of strength from Del Toro, getting the better of the pure sprinters.
“It’s unbelievable, it’s crazy,” Del Toro said. “I don’t know exactly (how it happened) but I just see the chance and I don’t want to regret it.”
Italian Jonathan Milan was expected to be in the frame for the stage win but crashed heavily at a roundabout 1,500m from the end.
Del Toro, who rides for UAE Team Emirates, is hoping to follow in the footsteps of his teammate Tadej Pogacar who won the race last year.
Belgian star Remco Evenepoel is likely to be one of his main challengers, after two-time Tour de France champion Jonas Vingegaard pulled out ahead of the first stage due to a recent crash and illness.
Tuesday’s second stage is a 12km time-trial.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










