Russian attack wounds at least 32 in southern Ukraine

Residents gather in front of an apartment building hit by a Russian air strike, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine December 17, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 18 December 2025
Follow

Russian attack wounds at least 32 in southern Ukraine

  • The attacks came with the United States pushing Ukraine to accept peace terms to halt the fighting that critics have said are favorable to the Kremlin

ZAPORIZHZHIA, Ukraine: Russian air strikes on and around the southern Ukrainian city of Zaporizhzhia on Wednesday wounded at least 32 people, according to the local authorities.
The head of the regional military administration, Ivan Fedorov, wrote on Telegram that all of those wounded came from the city and its surroundings.
Rescue services earlier in the day said that five children were among the casualties in a provisional toll of 30, after strikes on a block of flats, a house and an educational establishment.
AFP journalists at the scene saw firefighters battling a blaze in a multiple-story housing block, where black smoke was billowing into the sky.
Fedorov said two people were also wounded in a Russian drone strike on a civilian car in Kushuhum, south of Zaporizhzhia.
The industrial city of Zaporizhzhia had a pre-war population of around 710,000 people and lies 27 kilometers (17 miles) from the front line. It has been targeted frequently by Russian forces since they invaded in February 2022.
The Kremlin claimed in late 2022 that it had annexed the wider region, along with three other eastern and southern regions of Ukraine.
The attacks came with the United States pushing Ukraine to accept peace terms to halt the fighting that critics have said are favorable to the Kremlin.


Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Trump says Cuba, a ‘failed nation,’ should make a deal with US

  • The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil

ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE: President Donald Trump on Monday said Cuba was a “failed nation” and called on Havana to make a deal with the United States, though he dismissed mounting a regime change operation.
“Cuba is right now, a failed nation,” the US leader told reporters aboard Air Force One.
However, when asked if the United States would oust Cuba’s government, as Washington did when it raided Venezuela and captured president Nicolas Maduro, Trump said: “I don’t think that will be necessary.”
The island is facing major fuel shortages and blackouts as Trump intensifies the decades-long US embargo on the country and presses other countries to stop sending Havana oil.
“It’s a humanitarian threat,” Trump admitted of the fuel shortages biting the country.