Israel says Hamas ‘will be disarmed’ after group proposes weapons freeze

Palestinian Hamas militants secure the area as Egyptian workers accompanied by members of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) search for the remains of the last Israeli hostage in the Zeitoun neighbourhood of Gaza City on December 8, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 11 December 2025
Follow

Israel says Hamas ‘will be disarmed’ after group proposes weapons freeze

  • A top Hamas leader said on Wednesday that the militant group is open to a weapons “freeze,” but rejects the demand for disarmament

DOHA: Israel said on Thursday that Hamas “will be disarmed” as part of the US-sponsored peace plan for Gaza, after a top leader from the Islamist movement suggested a weapons freeze.
“There will be no future for Hamas under the 20-point plan. The terror group will be disarmed and Gaza will be demilitarised,” the Israeli official told AFP.
Hamas’s Khaled Meshaal told Qatari news channel Al Jazeera on Wednesday that the militant group is open to a weapons “freeze,” but rejects the demand for disarmament put forward in US President Donald Trump’s plan for Gaza.

A top Hamas leader told Qatari news channel Al Jazeera on Wednesday that the militant group is open to a weapons “freeze,” but rejects the demand for disarmament put forward in the US-sponsored peace plan for Gaza.
“The idea of total disarmament is unacceptable to the resistance (Hamas). What is being proposed is a freeze, or storage (of weapons)... to provide guarantees against any military escalation from Gaza with the Israeli occupation,” said Khaled Meshaal in an interview aired Wednesday.
“This is the idea we’re discussing with the mediators, and I believe that with pragmatic American thinking... such a vision could be agreed upon with the US administration,” he said.
The US-sponsored ceasefire deal, in effect since October 10, halted the war that began after Hamas’s deadly attack on Israel on October 7, 2023. But it remains fragile as Israel and Hamas accuse each other almost daily of breaches.
The agreement is composed of three phases. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recently indicated that it was about to enter the second phase.
Under that phase Israeli troops would further withdraw from their positions in Gaza and be replaced by an international stabilization force (ISF), while Hamas would lay down its weapons.
Netanyahu is expected to meet with US President Donald Trump in the US later this month to discuss the steps forward in the truce.
But the Palestinian militant group has indicated it would not agree to giving up its arsenal.
“Disarmament for a Palestinian means stripping away his very soul. Let’s achieve that goal another way,” Meshaal added.
In the first phase of the deal Palestinian militants committed to releasing the remaining 48 living and dead captives held in the territory. All of the hostages have so far been released except for one body.
In exchange, Israel has released nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners in its custody and returned the bodies of hundreds of dead Palestinians.
As for the international peacekeeping force, Meshaal said the group was open to its deployment along Gaza’s border with Israel, but would not agree to it operating inside the Palestinian territory, calling such a plan an “occupation.”
“We have no objection to international forces or international stabilization forces being deployed along the border, like UNIFIL,” he said, referring to the UN peacekeeping force deployed in southern Lebanon near the Israeli border.
“They would separate Gaza from the occupation,” he added, referring to Israel.
“As for the presence of international forces inside Gaza, in Palestinian culture and consciousness that means an occupying force.”
Mediators as well as Arab and Islamic nations, he said, could act as “guarantors” that there would be no escalation originating from inside Gaza.
“The danger comes from the Zionist entity, not from Gaza,” he added, referring to Israel.


Israel committed atrocity crimes in Gaza, UN report says

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Israel committed atrocity crimes in Gaza, UN report says

  • It found that Israel’s actions had imposed “conditions of life increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ ‌continued existence as a group in Gaza“
GENEVA: Israeli forces committed serious violations of ​international humanitarian law in Gaza and carried out atrocity crimes, a UN report published on Thursday said.
Intensified Israeli attacks and the forcible transfer of Palestinians appeared aimed at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza “raising concerns over ethnic cleansing,” the report by the UN human rights office said.
The holding and mistreatment of hostages by the Hamas Islamist militant group may amount to war crimes, it said.
Israel’s permanent mission in Geneva dismissed the report’s findings about Israel’s actions, and said in a statement that the UN human rights office had lost its credibility.
“Office of the High Commissioner is ‌engaged in a ‌vicious campaign of demonization and disinformation against the State of Israel,” it ​said.
Hamas ‌did ⁠not immediately ​respond ⁠to requests for comment.
ETHNIC CLEANSING CONCERNS
The 17-page report investigated events in Gaza from November 2024 to October 31, 2025.
It found that Israel’s actions had imposed “conditions of life increasingly incompatible with Palestinians’ ‌continued existence as a group in Gaza,” the report said.
Famine ‌found in some parts of Gaza last August by a ​global hunger monitor and malnutrition resulted directly from ‌Israel’s actions, the report said.
Militarised distribution centers run by the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) backed by Israel ‌and the United States “failed utterly” to deliver humanitarian aid at the scale required, violating Israel’s obligations under international humanitarian law, it said.
Israeli practices in Gaza and the occupied West Bank indicated an accelerating effort to consolidate the annexation of large parts of occupied Palestinian territory, with unlawful use of force by Israeli security forces, the report said.
“During ‌the reporting period, intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighborhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic ⁠shift in Gaza,” it ⁠said.
“This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank.”