UK police probe pepper spray assault at Heathrow Airport car park

Police officers respond following an incident at Heathrow Airport, as seen through a car windscreen, in London, Britain, Dec. 7, 2025. (Screengrab via Reuters / cropped / 3rd party)
Short Url
Updated 08 December 2025
Follow

UK police probe pepper spray assault at Heathrow Airport car park

  • Armed officers arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of assault after responding to the scene
  • Passengers complained about having missed flights due to public transport disruption in the area

LONDON: UK police were probing on Sunday an assault involving pepper spray at a Heathrow Airport car park that disrupted travel and left 21 people, including a three-year-old girl, needing medical treatment.
In a depature from an earlier account of the incident at Terminal 3’s multi-story car park, London’s Metropolitan Police said it now appeared to have stemmed from a suitcase robbery by people known to each other.
Commander Peter Stevens, who had previously characterised it as an argument that escalated into a fight, said investigators had pieced together the chaotic chain of events after reviewing CCTV and interviewing witnesses.
“At this stage, it’s understood that a woman was robbed of her suitcase by a group of four men, who sprayed a substance believed to be pepper spray in her direction,” he added.
“This occurred within a car park lift, with those in the lift and surrounding area affected by the spray.
“Our officers are working to determine the full circumstances around what happened but we do believe this to be an isolated incident with those directly involved known to each other.”
Armed officers arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of assault after responding to the scene shortly after 8am (0800 GMT).
“He remains in custody and enquiries remain ongoing to locate further suspects,” police said in an update.
Emergency responders treated 21 patients, with five taken to hospital, the London Ambulance Service said.
The three-year-old received treatment at the scene, with all the injuries “not believed to be life-changing or life-threatening,” according to police.
Firefighters provided “specialist assistance” at the scene, London’s Fire Brigade said.
Terminal 3 at Europe’s busiest airport remained open throughout, but the incident prompted severe traffic and public transport disruption in the area, according to officials and reports.
Passengers complained about having missed flights due to its impact.
“We were literally stuck for an hour-and-a-half,” Jayesh Patel, whose family were headed to the airport for a flight to India, told AFP.
“We ran to the gate, and we missed the check-in by three minutes, and we were turned away.
“So we’re gonna have to drive 100 miles back home.”


North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

North Macedonia police arrest man accused of planning mass murder

  • Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012
  • Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje

SKOPJE: A 20-year-old man was arrested in North Macedonia suspected of planning a mass murder, authorities said on Friday, after being tipped off by US intelligence.
Police said the suspect was inspired by the notorious Sandy Hook school massacre in December 2012, when a 20-year-old man killed 26 people including 20 children at a school in Connecticut.
FBI investigators spotted threats on the social app Discord in late January and informed the US embassy in Skopje which contacted the local authorities, police said in a statement.
“The suspect sent a serious threat that he was ready to carry out an attack with a firearm — an AK-47 automatic rifle... while saying that he had impaired mental health,” it said.
Police tracked the message to the village of Mala Recica, west of the capital Skopje, and arrested two people.
The police said the suspect was charged with terrorism, while another, aged 89, was charged with weapons and explosives offenses. Media reported that the second suspect was the young man’s grandfather.
During searches officers seized various firearms, state prosecutors said in a statement.
The police said the weapons included an AK-47, two handguns and hundreds of pieces of ammunition plus body armor, knives and electronics.
The prosecutors’ office said the suspect was remanded in custody for a month.