Pakistan rights minister calls for strict action against men for burning woman alive

Screengrab taken from live transmission of the National Assembly of Pakistan showing Pakistan's Law Minister, Azam Nazeer Tarar (standing) presenting the 27th constitutional amendment in the National Assembly of Pakistan in Islamabad, Pakistan, on November 11, 2025. (National Assembly Of Pakistan/YouTube)
Short Url
Updated 05 December 2025
Follow

Pakistan rights minister calls for strict action against men for burning woman alive

  • Kaneez Fatima was burned alive allegedly by her husband last month in eastern Bahawalnagar city, reports say
  • Women in Pakistan face widespread discrimination, domestic violence and workplace harassment, as per rights groups

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Human Rights Minister Azam Nazeer Tarar on Friday urged the Punjab government to take strict legal action against men who are accused of burning a woman alive recently. 

As per local media reports, Kaneez Fatima, a mother of five, was burnt alive allegedly by her husband Muhammad Ashraf and six accomplices in the eastern city of Bahawalnagar on Nov. 30. 

The report said Fatima had married Ashraf, who was already married to another woman, five years ago. It added that Ashraf often fought with Fatima. Police arrested Ashraf and four of his accomplices on Monday and registered a case against all seven suspects under Sections 302 (punishment for murder), 149 (unlawful assembly), and 148 (rioting with a deadly weapon) of the Pakistan Penal Code.

“The federal minister [Tarar] has called on the Punjab government and relevant law enforcement agencies to conduct an immediate and transparent investigation,” Pakistan’s Ministry of Human Rights said in a statement.

“The federal minister [Tarar] expressed hope that the Punjab government and law enforcement agencies will take strict legal action against those involved in the incident.”

Women in Pakistan face widespread discrimination, domestic violence and workplace harassment, according to rights groups. Several women are also killed each year in Pakistan for so-called honor by men of their family for choosing to marry of their own accord. 

Pakistan has introduced several policies to strengthen protections for women, but implementation remains uneven. 

In November, on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said his government was taking legislative, administrative and institutional measures to improve safety and expand access to justice including support centers, dedicated police desks for women, hotlines along with financial and legal assistance for survivors.


Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

Updated 6 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan economic body approves immediate release of $67.9 million for Ramadan package

  • Overall size of Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package is $139 million, says Finance Division
  • Says remaining funds will be released as per evolving requirements, available fiscal space

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) on Thursday approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion [$67.9 million] for the Prime Minister’s Ramadan Relief Package, the Finance Division said, with the rest of the funds to be released keeping in mind available fiscal space. 

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif last week launched a Rs39 billion ($139 million) Ramadan relief package, pledging direct digital cash transfers of Rs13,000 ($47) each to 12.1 million low-income families across Pakistan. 

Pakistan’s government launches Ramadan relief packages every year before the holy month begins to lessen the burden of inflation on low-income families. 

Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb chaired the CEC meeting on Thursday, in which participants considered a summary from the Ministry of Poverty Alleviation seeking the approval of Rs25 billion [$89.3 million] 

“The Finance Division informed the Committee that Rs19 billion had already been budgeted for the Ramzan package for the current financial year and that the remaining requirement would be released as and when necessary,” the statement said. 

“The ECC accordingly approved the immediate release of Rs19 billion to enable prompt commencement of disbursement, while agreeing that any additional funds would be considered in line with evolving requirements and available fiscal space,” it added. 

The Finance Division noted that the overall size of the package is Rs39 billion [$139 million] out of which Rs10 billion [$35.7 million] are already available with the Benazir Income Support Program (BISP), Pakistan’s largest social safety net that provides unconditional cash transfers to the poor. 

The Finance Division said Rs29 billion have been arranged through three components considered by the ECC today, including the Technical Supplementary Grant, operational expenditures and the regularization of re-appropriated funds.

“This financing structure ensures that the package is fully resourced while maintaining fiscal discipline and transparency in implementation,” it added. 

The ECC reaffirmed the government’s commitment to extending “timely and dignified” support to deserving segments of society during Ramadan, while upholding fiscal responsibility and robust oversight in the implementation of relief measures.

“It emphasized the need to balance expeditious disbursement of relief with fiscal prudence and transparency in operational expenditures,” it added. 

The government will distribute the relief package through bank accounts and regulated mobile wallet platforms, fully replacing the previous utility store-based subsidy model with a digital payment mechanism overseen by the State Bank of Pakistan.

The allocation marks a sharp increase from last year’s Rs 20 billion ($72 million) Ramadan program, as the government expands coverage and deepens its shift toward cash-based targeted subsidies.