Identities of 3 Palestinian prisoners from Gaza who died in Israeli jails revealed

Employees of the Nasser Medical Complex carry one of the thirty bodies of Palestinian prisoners detained by Israel and released as part of the hostage exchange deal, as the body bags arrive in Khan Yunis, Oct. 31, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 December 2025
Follow

Identities of 3 Palestinian prisoners from Gaza who died in Israeli jails revealed

  • Authorities accused of “torture, starvation, medical neglect, sexual assault, and systematic violations of human rights”
  • The number of detainees who have died in Israeli custody since late 2023 has passed 100

LONDON: Three Palestinian prisoners from the Gaza Strip who died in Israeli custody were identified on Thursday, as dozens of others remain “forcibly disappeared,” according to rights groups.

The Commission of Detainees and Ex-Detainees Affairs and the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society revealed that Taysir Sababa, 60; Khamis Ashour, 44; and Khalil Haniyeh, 35, all died at different times in Israeli imprisonment.

Sababa died on Dec. 31, 2024, two months after his arrest in Gaza. Ashour died on Feb. 8, 2024, one day after his arrest. Haniyeh died on Dec. 25, 2024, about one year after his arrest, according to the Wafa news agency.

Sababa had nine children, Ashour had six, and Haniyeh had four.

The Commission and the Prisoners’ Society accused Israeli authorities of carrying out a policy of “torture, starvation, medical neglect, sexual assault, and systematic violations of human rights” against Palestinian prisoners.

Many Gazan detainees remain “forcibly disappeared,” they added.

Since the Israeli attacks on Gaza began in late 2023, the number of detainees who have died in Israeli custody has passed 100. Of these, only 84 have been identified and announced, including 50 detainees from Gaza.

The groups added that the past two years “represent the bloodiest phase in the history of the Palestinian prisoners’ movement, as Israel attempts to legalize the execution of Palestinian prisoners and enshrine it in law.”

Last week, a UN committee on torture expressed concern about human rights reports, implying that Israel has a “de facto state policy of organized and widespread torture” in its detention facilities.

In November, Israeli lawmakers voted to approve the first reading of a bill to legalize the death penalty for Palestinian convicts involved in deadly attacks against Israelis.

At least 3,368 individuals are held in administrative detention in Israeli prisons, while another 1,205 are labeled as unlawful combatants. Both classifications permit Israeli authorities to extend the duration of detention without trial or family visits.


Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

Updated 58 min 29 sec ago
Follow

Hamas says path for Gaza must begin with end to ‘aggression’

  • Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory

GAZA CITY: Discussions on Gaza’s future must begin with a total halt to Israeli “aggression,” Palestinian Islamist movement Hamas said after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace met for the first time.
“Any political process or any arrangement under discussion concerning the Gaza Strip and the future of our Palestinian people must start with the total halt of aggression, the lifting of the blockade, and the guarantee of our people’s legitimate national rights, first and foremost their right to freedom and self-determination,” Hamas said in a statement Thursday.
Trump’s board met for its inaugural session in Washington on Thursday, with a number of countries pledging money and personnel to rebuild the Palestinian territory, more than four months into a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has insisted however that Hamas must disarm before any reconstruction begins.
“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarization of Gaza,” Netanyahu said.
The Israeli leader did not attend the Washington meeting but was represented by his foreign minister Gideon Saar.
Trump said several countries, mostly in the Gulf, had pledged more than seven billion dollars to rebuild the territory.
Muslim-majority Indonesia will take a deputy commander role in a nascent International Stabilization Force, the unit’s American chief Major General Jasper Jeffers said.
Trump, whose plan for Gaza was endorsed by the UN Security Council in November, also said five countries had committed to providing troops, including Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo and Albania.