Putin receives top US negotiators in high-stakes Ukraine talks

1 / 2
In this pool photograph distributed by the Russian state agency Sputnik, Russia's President Vladimir Putin, accompanied by Kremlin economic envoy Kirill Dmitriev and Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov, meets with US special envoy Steve Witkoff and US President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner at the Kremlin in Moscow on December 2, 2025. (AFP)
2 / 2
US President Donald Trump’s special envoy, Steve Witkoff, and son-in-law Jared Kushner will meet Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday for talks. (Getty Images via AFP)
Short Url
Updated 02 December 2025
Follow

Putin receives top US negotiators in high-stakes Ukraine talks

  • The meeting is a crucial moment for Ukraine in what could be a fraught week following days of frantic diplomacy
  • Europe is pushing back at US proposals

MOSCOW: Top US negotiators vying to end the war in Ukraine met with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday in a high-stakes meeting happening as Moscow pressed battlefield advances.
Putin, who received Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and US special envoy Steve Witkoff in the Kremlin, signalled earlier that his forces were ready to fight on to achieve Russia’s initial war goals.
The meeting is a crucial moment for Ukraine in what could be a fraught week following days of frantic diplomacy kicked off by a unilateral US plan to bring peace, which has since been revised under pressure from Kyiv and its European backers.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Monday that any plan must actually end the war for good, and not just lead to a pause in the fighting that began with Moscow’s offensive in February 2022.
Washington has said it is “optimistic” it can help end Europe’s bloodiest conflict since World War II.
Kushner and Witkoff were to present Putin with the new version of US plan, which has been hammered out after the initial version raised fears in Kyiv and elsewhere in Europe that it made too many concessions to Moscow.
Russian presidential aide Yuri Ushakov and the Kremlin’s business envoy, Kirill Dmitriev, also took part in the meeting, according to a state TV broadcast.
After their Moscow visit, Kushner and Witkoff could go on to meet a Ukrainian delegation as soon as Wednesday, potentially in Brussels, a senior Kyiv official told AFP.
The US wanted to give an update “directly to us after their meeting,” Zelensky said during a visit to Ireland, where he was shoring up European support.
“Our common task is to end the war, not just to achieve a pause in hostilities,” Zelensky said, adding: “A dignified peace is needed.”
Putin, however, appeared to send a hawkish message shortly before the US talks began.
He said that Pokrovsk, an east Ukrainian stronghold recently claimed by Russian forces, was a “good foothold for solving all the tasks set at the beginning of the special military operation,” using the Kremlin’s term for the nearly four-year-long war.
The Russian leader also accused Europe of sabotaging a deal on the Ukraine conflict.
Putin added that European changes to Trump’s latest plan to end the war “aimed solely at one thing — to completely block the entire peace process and put forward demands that are absolutely unacceptable for Russia.”

- Russian pressure -

Kyiv is under pressure on several fronts.
Russian forces advanced fast in November in eastern Ukraine, and Kyiv has been rocked by graft scandals that ended with the resignation of its top negotiator — Zelensky’s right-hand man.
Moscow has also stepped up drone and missile attacks on Ukraine in recent weeks, leaving hundreds of thousands without electricity and heating, with Zelensky accusing the Kremlin of trying to “break” his country.
Zelensky has said he expects to discuss key issues with the US president, including on territory, and suggested Moscow’s real motivation for the US talks was to ease Western sanctions.
Putin has demanded that Kyiv surrender territory Moscow claims as its own for any deal to be possible.

- Kushner included -

Europe is worried that Washington and Moscow could strike a deal over its head or force Ukraine into making unfair concessions.
The original 28-point US plan revealed last month hewed so closely to Moscow’s demands it prompted accusations that Russia was involved in drafting it, which Washington denied.
Bloomberg last month reported on an audio recording showing that Witkoff helped coach Russian officials on how Putin should speak to Trump.
Witkoff has met with Putin multiple times, but US media reported that it was the first time that Kushner — who also helped broker a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza earlier this year — has joined talks with Putin.


Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

Islamist militants show ‘unprecedented coordination’ in Burkina Faso attacks

  • The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare
  • The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas

DAKAR: Islamist militants have killed dozens of soldiers and civilians and overrun an army detachment over the past week in coordinated attacks across multiple regions of Burkina Faso, according to internal reports by two diplomatic missions reviewed by Reuters.
The operations by Al Qaeda–linked Jama’at Nusrat Al-Islam wal-Muslimin show the JNIM is increasingly able to mobilize across large swathes of territory at one time, said the reports, which described a list of locations and places that came under assault.
Burkina Faso’s military rulers seized power in a coup in 2022, promising to improve security. But militants’ attacks have increased in the ⁠West African country ⁠as state forces battle an insurgency that has spread across the Sahel from Mali.
The assaults were on several towns in the north and east including Bilanga, Titao, Tandjari and Nare, the diplomatic reports said. One also described an assault in the eastern city of Fada N’Gourma and flagged another in the northern Ouahigouya area.
“These attacks, which were almost simultaneous and spread across several provinces, demonstrate unprecedented ⁠coordination between militants and the junta’s inability to contain the assaults,” said one of the internal reports, which put the death toll at more than 180.
The other gave no toll but said the incidents appeared coordinated and involved several hundred militants serving JNIM and possibly Daesh affiliates.
The operations targeted military detachments, civilian convoys and market areas, it said.
JNIM has said it killed scores of troops from the Burkinabe army in attacks in the past week, US-based SITE Intelligence Group said on Monday.
Burkina authorities did not respond to a request for comment on the assaults or casualty reports.

INJURED GHANAIANS RETURN HOME
In the northern town of ⁠Titao, militants attacked ⁠an army base and set a market on fire, the internal reports said.
Nearly 80 soldiers and pro-government militia members were killed, one said. The other said about 10 civilians were killed there.
The dead civilians included eight tomato traders, Ghana’s foreign ministry said on Tuesday.
SITE quoted a media unit for JNIM as saying the insurgents had seized military vehicles, guns and other possessions in the assaults. More than a decade of insurgencies in the Sahel has displaced millions and engendered economic collapse, with violence pushing further south toward West Africa’s coast.
JNIM claimed nearly 500 attacks in Burkina Faso in 2025 and nearly 300 in Mali, SITE’s director, Rita Katz, said in a social media post on LinkedIn.