BAKU: Police in Azerbaijan conducted a search on Saturday at the home of Ali Karimli, the leader of one of the country’s main opposition parties, amid a widening probe into a suspected coup attempt to oust President Ilham Aliyev.
An Azerbaijani government source told Reuters the move on Karimli, who has led the Azerbaijani Popular Front Party (APFP) since 2000, was linked to an ongoing criminal case against Ramiz Mehdiyev, a longtime ally of former President Heydar Aliyev, who led Azerbaijan until shortly before his death in 2003.
Two APFP members, Faiq Amirli and Mammad Ibrahim, were detained on Saturday, Karimli’s deputy, Seymour Hazi, told Reuters. Reuters was unable to immediately contact lawyers for the three men.
Azerbaijan’s State Security Service has not commented on the search.
The government source said the authorities believed Karimli was being financed by Mehdiyev, who joined the government of Heydar Aliyev as head of the presidential administration during the first years of its tenure in 1994. Ilham Aliyev, Heydar’s son, dismissed Mehdiyev in 2019 in what was viewed at the time as a move intended to force out officials appointed during his father’s tenure.
Last month a Baku court placed Mehdiyev, 87, under four months of house arrest after charging him with crimes including attempts to seize power.
Karimli, the APFP leader, has been arrested numerous1 times in connection with organizing protests in Azerbaijan, an oil- and gas-rich nation that has come under criticism by Western governments over its human rights record.
Azerbaijani police raid home of leading opposition figure amid coup attempt probe
Short Url
https://arab.news/2eg37
Azerbaijani police raid home of leading opposition figure amid coup attempt probe
- Two APFP members, Faiq Amirli and Mammad Ibrahim, were detained on Saturday
- The government source said the authorities believed Karimli was being financed by Mehdiyev
Venezuelan lawmaker says 379 political prisoners granted amnesty
- Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released
CARACAS: Venezuelan authorities granted amnesty to 379 political prisoners, a lawmaker overseeing the process said on Friday, after a new mass amnesty law was enacted following the ouster of former leader Nicolas Maduro.
Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released.
National Assembly deputy Jorge Arreaza said in a televised interview on Friday that a total of 379 people “must be released, granted amnesty, between tonight and tomorrow morning.”
“Requests have been submitted by the Public Prosecutor’s Office to the competent courts to grant amnesty measures,” he said.
Many relatives of prisoners across Venezuela have waited outside jails for weeks for the potential release of their loved ones.
Hundreds have already been granted conditional release by Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government since the deadly US raid that seized Maduro.
The NGO Foro Penal had said before the announcement that some 650 were detained, a toll that has not been updated since.
Foro Penal director Alfredo Romero said Friday that receiving “amnesty is not automatic,” but would require a process in the courts, viewed by many as an arm of Maduro’s repression.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Venezuelans have been jailed in recent years over plots, real or imagined, to overthrow Maduro’s government.
Rodriguez was formerly Maduro’s vice president and took his place as the South American country’s leader with the consent of US President Donald Trump, provided that she toe Washington’s line.
The United States has taken over control of Venezuela’s oil sales, with Trump vowing a share for Washington in the profits.
Venezuela’s National Assembly unanimously adopted the law on Thursday, providing hope that hundreds of political prisoners behind bars may soon be released.
National Assembly deputy Jorge Arreaza said in a televised interview on Friday that a total of 379 people “must be released, granted amnesty, between tonight and tomorrow morning.”
“Requests have been submitted by the Public Prosecutor’s Office to the competent courts to grant amnesty measures,” he said.
Many relatives of prisoners across Venezuela have waited outside jails for weeks for the potential release of their loved ones.
Hundreds have already been granted conditional release by Interim President Delcy Rodriguez’s government since the deadly US raid that seized Maduro.
The NGO Foro Penal had said before the announcement that some 650 were detained, a toll that has not been updated since.
Foro Penal director Alfredo Romero said Friday that receiving “amnesty is not automatic,” but would require a process in the courts, viewed by many as an arm of Maduro’s repression.
Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Venezuelans have been jailed in recent years over plots, real or imagined, to overthrow Maduro’s government.
Rodriguez was formerly Maduro’s vice president and took his place as the South American country’s leader with the consent of US President Donald Trump, provided that she toe Washington’s line.
The United States has taken over control of Venezuela’s oil sales, with Trump vowing a share for Washington in the profits.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.










