Security forces kill 22 Pakistani Taliban militants in restive northwest, military says

Security officials examine damaged vehicles at the site of a powerful car bombing, in Quetta, Pakistan, on September 30, 2025. (AP/File)
Short Url
Updated 27 November 2025
Follow

Security forces kill 22 Pakistani Taliban militants in restive northwest, military says

  • The militants were killed in an intelligence-based operation in the Dera Ismail Khan district
  • The operation came hours after three cops were killed in a militant attack in the same province

KARACHI: Security forces have killed 22 Pakistani Taliban militants in an operation in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, the Pakistani military said on Thursday, amid an uptick in attacks in the South Asian country.

The intelligence-based operation was conducted in KP’s Dera Ismail Khan district on reports about the presence of members of the Pakistani Taliban, or the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), which has stepped up its attacks against security forces in recent years.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the military’s media wing, described the deceased suspects as “Indian-sponsored” militants. There was no immediate response from New Delhi to the Pakistani military’s statement.

“Sanitization operation is being conducted to eliminate any other Indian-sponsored kharji (militant) found in the area,” the ISPR said in a statement.

“Security Forces and Law Enforcement Agencies of Pakistan will continue at full pace to wipe out the menace of foreign-sponsored and supported terrorism from the country.”

KP, which borders Afghanistan, has seen a surge in militancy in recent years, with the TTP and other militant groups frequently targeting security forces convoys and check-posts, besides targeted killings and kidnappings of law enforcers and government officials.

Earlier in the day, three Pakistani policemen were killed when militants attacked a security checkpoint in KP’s Hangu district, officials said.

Islamabad has long accused Kabul of allowing its soil and India of backing militant groups, including the TTP, for attacks against Pakistan. Kabul and New Delhi have consistently denied this.

The uptick in militant violence last month triggered fierce clashes between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The two countries agreed to a ceasefire in Doha on Oct. 19, but tensions between the neighbors remain high.


Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Pakistan hockey chief resigns after ‘shabby’ winless Australia tour

  • Captain Ammad Butt says players washed clothes and dishes at substandard accommodation due to unpaid hotel bills
  • Three-time Olympic champions and four-time World Cup winners Pakistan have fallen to 14th in the world rankings

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s hockey chief resigned on Thursday, a day after the prime minister ordered an inquiry into a shambolic tour of Australia that saw the national team scrubbing dishes in a guest house.

Tariq Bugti, who headed the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), stepped down following complaints by national team players in last week’s whitewash tour, and after premier Shehbaz Sharif launched a probe.

While cricket is hugely popular in Pakistan, field hockey is the country’s national sport.
But Pakistan — three-time Olympic champions and four-time World Cup winners — have plummeted to as low as 14th in the international rankings.

Team captain Ammad Butt slammed the PHF, blaming the body for not paying for a hotel, with players forced to wash their clothes and dishes at what they deemed substandard accommodation in Hobart, Tasmania.

Ahead of the Australia tour, players boycotted a training camp over non-payment of a daily allowance of $110 — their only income with no match fees or central contracts.

“I am tired of the tension which we have suffered in the last year,” Butt told AFP.

“First I had to fight for the daily allowances and now this shabby treatment on the tour.”

Butt said when the players landed in Sydney en-route to Hobart for the second round of their Pro League fixtures, they had to roam the streets with no hotel to stay in.

“When we reached Hobart, the management told us it did not have sufficient funds to pay the hotel charges and we had to live in a guest house,” Butt said.

“The players had to prepare their breakfast, do dishwashing and wash clothes. In this situation what kind of performance could a player produce for the team?“

Pakistan have lost every one of their eight matches in the Pro League, losing 3-0 and 3-2 to Australia and 5-2 and 3-1 to Germany — all in Hobart.

They lost to Argentina and the Netherlands in the first round in December.

“I resign from my post,” Bugti said in a press conference on Thursday, calling for an investigation after Butt “threatened the management on the tour.”

Pakistan have not qualified for the last three Olympics and were 12th when they last played a World Cup in 2018.

Next month, Pakistan will feature in a qualifying round in Egypt to claim a place in the next World Cup, hosted by the Netherlands and Belgium in August.