Afghans say last path to safety shuts as US halts visas after DC shooting

Afghan mourners and relatives of victims carry the coffin during a mass burial ceremony for nine children and one woman who were killed by a Pakistan air strike, in the Gurbuz district of Khost Province. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 November 2025
Follow

Afghans say last path to safety shuts as US halts visas after DC shooting

  • For Afghans sheltering in Pakistan, tens of thousands of whom are awaiting US resettlement decisions, the announcement felt like their last safe route had closed

KABUL/ISLAMABAD: Afghans who fled the Taliban and have waited years for a US resettlement decision say their last path to safety has shut since Washington froze all Afghan immigration cases following a shooting near the White House.
The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said late on Wednesday it had halted processing for Afghan nationals indefinitely, hours after an Afghan man shot and critically wounded two National Guard soldiers in Washington.
President Donald Trump called the attack “an act of terror” and ordered a review of Afghans who entered the country during Joe Biden’s presidency.
For Afghans sheltering in Pakistan, tens of thousands of whom are awaiting US resettlement decisions, the announcement felt like their last safe route had closed.

’IF I GO BACK YOU WILL HEAR NEWS OF MY ARREST OR MY DEATH’
“I was deeply distressed when I heard this news. We have completed all the required review procedures,” said Ahmad Samim Naimi, 34, from Afghanistan’s Panjshir province, who had worked as a TV presenter and press adviser under the previous, US-backed government.
He fled to Pakistan after the Taliban began detaining journalists and former government workers, and had applied for resettlement in the United States.
“If I go back, one day you will certainly hear news of either my arrest or my death,” he said.
Remaining in Pakistan has become increasingly difficult as the authorities have launched a crackdown on Afghans without formal refugee status. Pakistan has deported more than half a million Afghans in the past year and intensified detentions in major cities. Even Afghans with valid visas or UNHCR documents have been stopped at checkpoints, evicted or asked for bribes.
Pakistan’s information and interior ministries did not immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did Afghanistan’s refugee and foreign affairs ministries. The Taliban have previously said Afghanistan is now at peace and safe for citizens to return home.

’RISK OF DESTRUCTION’
Rights groups say former government workers, journalists, soldiers and people linked to Western forces face detention, disappearance or execution under Taliban rule, while women face sweeping restrictions on movement, work and education.
Another applicant for US resettlement living in Pakistan, a 40-year-old former civil servant from Kabul who declined to give his name for security reasons, said the freeze had erased everything he had built his family’s future around.
“I cannot put myself and my family at risk of destruction,” he said about returning to Afghanistan.

SINGLE INCIDENT SHUTS A DOOR FOR MANY
US forces and aid bodies employed thousands of Afghans as interpreters and local staff during America’s longest war, which ended when the Taliban seized power in 2021.
After abandoning Kabul, the Biden administration announced Operation Allies Welcome to offer refuge to Afghans at special risk of persecution because of their association with the United States.
But there have been long waits, including for those granted priority treatment — “P1” for those who worked directly for the US government and “P2” for those who worked on US-funded projects or for media, aid or civil society organizations.
Officials identified the suspected Washington gunman as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, who arrived under Operation Allies Welcome and was granted asylum earlier this year. Authorities say he served in the Afghan army and had no criminal record.
Shawn VanDiver, president of AfghanEvac, a volunteer group seeking to assist Afghans who helped US forces, said about 200,000 Afghans had arrived in the United States since 2021 through refugee and special visa programs after vetting.
“These folks don’t deserve this — they’re just trying to get their shot at the American dream,” he said. “This is going to cause a lot of harm across the Afghan community in the United States.”
He said another 265,000 Afghans are still being processed abroad, including about 180,000 in the Special Immigrant Visa pipeline for those who worked for the US government. Many are waiting in countries such as Pakistan, Qatar and North Macedonia, while others remain inside Afghanistan.
Naimi said he still hopes Washington will reconsider: “I hope that the United States will reconsider the cases of those with P1 and P2 status and restart the process.”


Myanmar expels East Timor envoy after rights group complaint against junta

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Myanmar expels East Timor envoy after rights group complaint against junta

  • Myanmar has been in turmoil since 2021, when the military ousted the elected government led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi
Myanmar has ordered the head ‌of East Timor’s diplomatic mission to leave the country within seven days, state media quoted the foreign ministry as saying on Monday, in an escalating row ​over a criminal complaint filed by a rights group against Myanmar’s armed forces.
Myanmar has been in turmoil since 2021, when the military ousted the elected government led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking a wave of anti-junta protests that have morphed into a nationwide civil war.
Myanmar’s Chin state Human Rights Organization (CHRO) last month filed a complaint with the justice ‌department of East Timor, ‌also known as Timor-Leste, alleging that ​the ‌Myanmar junta ⁠had ​carried out ⁠war crimes and crimes against humanity since the 2021 coup.
In January, CHRO officials also met East Timor President Jose Ramos-Horta, who last year led the tiny Catholic nation’s accession into the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), of which Myanmar is also a member.
CHRO filed the complaint in East Timor because it was seeking ⁠an ASEAN member with an independent judiciary ‌as well as a country that would ‌be sympathetic to the suffering of ​Chin State’s majority Christian population, ‌the group’s Executive Director Salai Za Uk said.
“Such unconstructive engagement by ‌a Head of State of one ASEAN Member State with an unlawful organization opposing another ASEAN Member State is totally unacceptable,” the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar quoted the foreign ministry as saying.
A spokesman for ‌the Myanmar junta did not respond to calls seeking comment.
In early February, CHRO said East Timor’s ⁠judicial authorities had ⁠opened legal proceedings against the Myanmar junta, including its chief Min Aung Hlaing, following the complaint filed by the rights group.
Myanmar’s foreign ministry said East Timor’s acceptance of the case and the country’s appointment of a prosecutor to look into it resulted in “setting an unprecedented practice, negative interpretation and escalation of (public) resentments.”
East Timor’s embassy in Myanmar did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent via email.
The diplomatic spat comes as the Myanmar military faces international scrutiny for its role in an ​alleged genocide against the minority ​Muslim Rohingya in a case being heard at the International Court of Justice.
Myanmar has denied the charge.