Nigeria declares national emergency after kidnappings, president orders mass recruitment of police

1 / 2
Nigeria's President Bola Tinubu delivers a speech during the 67th Ordinary Session of the Authority of Heads of State and Government in Abuja, Nigeria, June 22, 2025. (REUTERS)
2 / 2
Police and government officials gather at St. Mary's Catholic Primary and Secondary School where gunmen on Friday abducted children and staff in Papiri community, Nigeria, on Nov.25, 2025. (AP Photo)
Short Url
Updated 27 November 2025
Follow

Nigeria declares national emergency after kidnappings, president orders mass recruitment of police

  • President Tinubu also orders redeployment of police VIP bodyguards to core policing duties andto help fight insurgents and bandits
  • More than 100,000 of Nigeria's estimated 371,000-strong force were previously assigned to protect politicians and VIPs

LAGOS: Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday declared a “nationwide security emergency” as the country scrambled to respond to a wave of mass kidnappings that have seen hundreds of people, mostly schoolchildren, captured in a week.
“This is a national emergency, and we are responding by deploying more boots on the ground, especially in security-challenged areas,” Tinubu said in a statement.
Within days, assailants across the country kidnapped two dozen Muslim schoolgirls, 38 worshippers, more than 300 schoolchildren and teachers from a Catholic school, 13 young women and girls walking near a farm, and another 10 women and children.
Dozens have been rescued and others escaped but 265 children and their teachers seized from a Catholic boarding school in the country’s Niger state on Friday are still missing.
“In view of the emerging security situation, I have decided to declare a nationwide security emergency and order additional recruitment into the Armed Forces,” Tinubu said.




Released schoolgirls wearing hijabs pose for photos with their parents and government officials after the girls were freed from captivity in in Kebbi, northwest Nigeria, on November 26, 2025, in this screengrab from video. (Reuters TV via REUTERS)

At the weekend he ordered a redeployment of police VIP bodyguards to core policing duties, and has ordered the hiring of another 50,000 new police recruits.
According to the European Union Agency for Asylum (EUAA) more than 100,000 of the estimated 371,000-strong force were previously assigned to protect politicians and VIPs.
In addition to a 16-year jihadist insurgency raging in the northeast, Nigeria is plagued by persistent insecurity, with frequent kidnappings for ransom.
The first mass abduction to shock Nigeria was in 2014 when the jihadist group Boko Haram kidnapped 276 teenage girls in Chibok, in the northeast, sparking an international outcry.
Since then thousands of kidnappings have occurred. Some go unreported.

‘Flush out terrorists’
For years, heavily armed criminal gangs have been intensifying attacks in rural areas of northwest and central Nigeria, where there is little state presence, killing thousands and conducting kidnappings for ransom.
The gangs have camps in a vast forest straddling several states including Zamfara, Katsina, Kaduna, Sokoto, Kebbi and Niger from where they launch attacks.
Tinubu said he was also authorizing the intelligence department to “immediately” deploy forest guards to “flush out the terrorists and bandits lurking in our forests” as well as to hire more staff to patrol them.
“The times require all hands on deck,” he said.
He vowed to continue “efforts to rescue” the students and other people still in captivity.
In the 12 months between July last year and June 2025, at least 4,722 people were kidnapped in 997 incidents, and at least 762 were killed, according to a recent report by SBM Intelligence.
It said kidnappers demanded some 48 billion naira overall but only managed to get 2.57 billion naira (around $1.66 million).
During that period “Nigeria’s kidnap-for-ransom crisis consolidated into a structured, profit-seeking industry,” said the Lagos-based security advisory firm.
The latest attacks struck just weeks after US President Donald Trump threatened Nigeria with military action over the alleged killing of Christians in large numbers by radical Islamists.
Tinubu urged mosques and churches to seek security protection when they congregate for prayers, particularly in vulnerable areas.


At least 38 killed in armed attack in north-west Nigeria

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

At least 38 killed in armed attack in north-west Nigeria

NIGERIA: Armed men killed at least 38 people in the village of Dutse Dan Ajiya in Nigeria’s northwestern Zamfara State, local police and authorities told AFP Saturday.
The attack occurred in the night of Thursday into Friday in the remote village, which had “few access routes” said Yazid Abubakar, spokesperson for the Zamfara police, adding: “Right now, normalcy has been restored in the area.”
According to Hamisu Faru, a local legislator, who reported 50 deaths from the attack, “the bandits came from Gando forest. They laid siege on Dutse Dan Ajiya and opened indiscriminate fire, killing any resident who tried to flee.”