Pope Francis’ popemobile transformed into mobile clinic for Gaza children

The Bishop of Stockholm blesses the “Vehicle of Hope,” the popemobile used by pope Francis during his 2014 visit to Bethlehem, in the city in the Israeli-occupied West Bank on November 25, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 November 2025
Follow

Pope Francis’ popemobile transformed into mobile clinic for Gaza children

  • The initiative was blessed by Francis before he died in April and was entrusted to the Catholic organization Caritas

BETHLEHEM: A vehicle used by the late Pope Francis during a visit to Bethlehem more than a decade ago has been transformed into a mobile health clinic that Christian leaders hope will soon be used to provide care to Palestinian children in Gaza.
The initiative was blessed by Francis before he died in April and was entrusted to the Catholic organization Caritas, which oversaw the project to convert the vehicle unveiled on Tuesday.
“We’re pleased that we have here a serious contribution toward the health care of children in Gaza,” Caritas Secretary-General Alistair Dutton told a press conference in Bethlehem.
Francis had used the vehicle, a converted Mitsubishi pick-up that was donated by Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, during his visit to Bethlehem in 2014.
Not clear when mobile clinic can enter Gaza
The open platform at the back of the vehicle, where the pope once stood as he traveled through Bethlehem, has now been enclosed and converted into the children’s treatment area.
“This vehicle stands as a testimony that the world has not forgotten the children of Gaza,” said Cardinal Anders Arborelius of Stockholm, who had approached Francis before his death about Caritas’ idea of converting the former popemobile into a mobile paediatric clinic.
Caritas Sweden Secretary-General Peter Brune said that the mobile clinic was capable of treating around 200 children a day.
But it was unclear when the vehicle would enter Gaza, where a ceasefire still formally holds despite frequent Israeli airstrikes on the territory battered by two years of war.
“As soon as we possibly can,” Dutton said, declining to comment further. COGAT, the Israeli government agency responsible for coordinating the entry of aid into the enclave, declined to comment when asked about the request.
Father Ibrahim Faltas said he hoped the vehicle would be moved to Gaza in the “near future,” telling Reuters the popemobile-turned-clinic was ready to help children in Gaza.
At least 67 children killed since ceasefire
The United Nations children’s agency UNICEF said on Friday that at least 67 children have been killed in what it called conflict-related incidents since the ceasefire went into effect.
The Israeli military has said that it was targeting militants who have posed a threat to its soldiers occupying half of Gaza.
Francis frequently spoke out about the war in Gaza and in January called the humanitarian situation there “shameful.” He also called for the release of the hostages taken captive by Palestinian militants, met their relatives and condemned the Hamas attack on Israel that ignited the war.
He was also known to speak by phone with Gaza’s small Christian community every evening during the war.
“We know how much Pope Francis loved the people of the Holy Land, the people of Bethlehem and especially the people of Gaza,” said Father Faltas, representative of the Franciscan Friars to the State of Palestine.


Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Tunisia lawmaker jailed eight months for criticizing president

  • Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media
  • Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news“

TUNIS: A Tunisian court has sentenced a lawmaker to eight months in prison for criticizing President Kais Saied following recent floods, local media reported.
Ahmed Saidani was taken into custody earlier this month after posting on social media about Saied’s visits to areas affected by floods, calling him the “supreme commander of sanitation and stormwater drainage.”
Saidani’s lawyer, Houssem Eddine Ben Attia, had told AFP his client was being prosecuted under a telecommunications law against “harming others via social media,” which carries up to two years in prison.
Rights groups have warned of a rollback on freedoms in Tunisia since Saied staged a sweeping power grab in 2021.
Dozens of his critics are being prosecuted or in prison, including under a law criminalizing “false news.”
Saidani had backed Saied’s power grab and the detention of several opposition figures, but has recently become vocally critical of the president.
At least five people died and others were still missing after Tunisia was hit by its heaviest rainfall in more than 70 years last month.