Tunisians convicted of aiding migrants but will go free

Tunisians hold up placards as they demonstrate in a protest dubbed ‘March Against Injustice’ led by the opposition and the civil society against the Tunisian president’s regime, in Tunis on Nov. 22, 2025. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 November 2025
Follow

Tunisians convicted of aiding migrants but will go free

  • This was the first trial of more than a dozen aid workers from various organizations arrested during a May 2024 crackdown
  • The TRC partnered with the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, to screen asylum applications

TUNIS: Two aid workers accused of assisting irregular migration to Tunisia were sentenced Monday to two years in prison, with four months suspended, but will be freed after time already served, their lawyer said, sentences well short of what had been feared.
Mustapha Djemali, an 81-year-old Tunisian-Swiss national who heads the Tunisian Refugee Council, and TRC project manager Abderrazek Krimi, had been charged with “sheltering” migrants and “facilitating illegal entry” into the North African country.
Yusra Djemali, a daughter of the TRC chief, told AFP on Monday: “It’s still unjust, but we are truly relieved because the sentence is rather light.
“He has about four months of the suspended sentence left, but the important thing is that he gets out of prison tonight.”
This was the first trial of more than a dozen aid workers from various organizations arrested during a May 2024 crackdown.
Earlier on Monday, Human Rights Watch called for charges against aid workers to be dropped, amid fears that they could be sentenced to a decade in jail.
The TRC partnered with the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, to screen asylum applications.
Three other TRC members, appearing in court while free on the same charges as Djemali and Krimi, were acquitted, lawyer Mounira Ayadi told AFP.
Lawyers have insisted that the TRC worked legally to help asylum seekers.
Ayadi and other lawyers all argued that the TRC worked in “exclusive partnership” and within the framework of a “legal agreement” with the UNHCR to find emergency accommodation for asylum seekers and refugees.
“The TRC carried out essential protection work in support of refugees and asylum seekers, operating legally with international organizations accredited in Tunisia,” the group said in a statement.
“Targeting an organization with abusive legal action criminalizes crucial assistance work and leaves asylum seekers without the support they desperately need.”
Migration is a sensitive issue in Tunisia, a key transit point for tens of thousands seeking to reach Europe each year.
The defendants were arrested in May 2024 along with about a dozen humanitarian workers, including members of French group Terre d’Asile and anti-racist organization Mnemty, who are awaiting trial.
In February 2023, President Kais Saied said “hordes of illegal migrants,” many from sub-Saharan Africa, posed a demographic threat to the Arab-majority country.
His speech triggered a series of racially motivated attacks as thousands of sub-Saharan African migrants in Tunisia were pushed out of their homes and jobs.
Thousands were repatriated or attempted to cross the Mediterranean, while others were expelled to the desert borders with Algeria and Libya, where at least a hundred died that summer.
This came as the European Union boosted efforts to curb arrivals, including a 255-million-euro ($290-million) deal with Tunis.


Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the US-Iran nuclear talks, two Trump administration officials said.
Rubio is expected to meet with Netanyahu on Feb. 28, according to the officials, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity to detail travel plans that have not yet been announced.
The US and Iran recently have held two rounds of indirect talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.
Iran has agreed to draw up a written proposal to address US concerns that were raised during this week’s Geneva talks, according to another senior US official who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
That official said top national security officials gathered Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss Iran, and were briefed that the “full forces” needed to carry out potential military action are expected to be in place by mid-March. The official did not provide a timeline for when Iran is expected to deliver its written response.
Officials from both the US and Iran had publicly offered some muted optimism about progress this week, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi even saying that “a new window has opened” for reaching an agreement.
“In some ways, it went well,” US Vice President JD Vance said about the talks in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel. “But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”
Netanyahu visited the White House last week to urge President Donald Trump to ensure that any deal about Iran’s nuclear program also include steps to neutralize Iran’s ballistic missile program and end its funding for proxy groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
Trump is weighing whether to take military action against Tehran as the administration surges military resources to the region, raising concerns that any attack could spiral into a larger conflict in the Middle East.
On Friday, Trump told reporters that a change in power in Iran “seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” He added, “For 47 years, they’ve been talking and talking and talking.”
The Trump administration has dispatched the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, from the Caribbean Sea to the Mideast to join a second carrier as well as other warships and military assets that the US has built up in the region.
Dozens of US fighter jets, including F-35s, F-22s and F-16s, have left bases in the US and Europe in recent days to head to the Middle East, according to the Military Air Tracking Alliance, a team of about 30 open-source analysts that routinely analyzes military and government flight activity.
The team says it’s also tracked more than 85 fuel tankers and over 170 cargo planes heading into the region.
Steffan Watkins, a researcher based in Canada and a member of the MATA, said he also has spotted support aircraft like six of the military’s early-warning E-3 aircraft head to a base in Saudi Arabia.
Those aircraft are key for coordinating operations with a large number of aircraft. He says they were pulled from bases in Japan, Germany and Hawaii.