Out of Mariupol: teenagers flee Russian draft in occupied Ukraine

Former residents of Mariupol, who were forced to leave their homes due to the Russian invasion take part in a meeting in central Kyiv, Ukraine. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 20 November 2025
Follow

Out of Mariupol: teenagers flee Russian draft in occupied Ukraine

  • Rights groups and exiled Ukrainian officials say schools across occupied Ukraine help military authorities compile registers of their students, facilitating call-ups to the Russian army

KYIV: The Russian security agents were smirking. David was panicking. As the hours-long interrogation dragged on, he worried they would send him back to occupied Mariupol and into the ranks of Russia’s army.
Having lived through three years of Russian rule in the southern port city, he and his friend Nikolai — both teenagers — were fleeing after being sent call-ups for Russian military service.
At a checkpoint on the way out, Russian agents accused them of smuggling drugs, implied they would plant evidence, and threatened them with jail if they discovered the pair were trying to go to Kyiv.
“I was sitting there and thinking that this is the end, they’re going to send us back,” 19-year-old David told AFP in an interview in the Ukrainian capital.
Their testimony shines a light on Russia’s campaign to recruit Ukrainians to fight against Kyiv — and its efforts to stop young men from leaving occupied territory.
They spoke under pseudonyms and AFP is not disclosing further details of their journey for security reasons.
Russian troops captured Mariupol in May 2022 after a bloody weeks-long siege that killed at least 22,000, according to Ukrainian city officials in exile.
Once it had been seized, David and Nikolai say their school became a hub in Moscow’s drive to recruit young soldiers.
Under a new portrait of President Vladimir Putin, the school director greeted them as “future defenders” of Russia.
“I was just like, ‘What the hell? Defenders of what?’,” David recalled.

- ‘Firm in my beliefs’ -

Rights groups and exiled Ukrainian officials say schools across occupied Ukraine help military authorities compile registers of their students, facilitating call-ups to the Russian army.
“They have one goal — that every Ukrainian child becomes a Russian soldier in the future,” Ukraine’s human rights ombudsman Dmytro Lubinets told AFP.
Open support for Kyiv, or even public shows of Ukrainian identity, are incredibly risky in Mariupol, which is tightly controlled by Russian security services.
But Nikolai and David, adolescents when the city was captured by Russia, were determined to resist.
“I was firm in my beliefs. I knew that on February 24, they came into my country, no one can convince me otherwise. I heard the explosions,” Nikolai said, referring to the start of Russia’s invasion.
They also studied the Ukrainian curriculum online in secret.
After Russia bombed a theater being used as a shelter in March 2022, Nikolai ventured into the basement to witness the devastation.
“I still remember it. Mattresses. Corpses. The smell of death — and flies,” he said.
Estimates for the death toll vary from dozens to hundreds.

- ‘Crying’ -

When the summonses arrived, the two childhood friends decided to escape.
“You won’t make me fight against the Ukrainian army — it’s my own,” Nikolai said.
Hunched in hoodies as they spoke to AFP in Kyiv, their teenage demeanour was at odds with the seriousness with which they recounted their experience.
Kyiv says the Russian army has drafted more than 46,000 Ukrainians from the occupied territories, including over 35,000 from Crimea, which Russia seized in 2014.
AFP cannot verify those figures and Russia does not publish such statistics.
Conscripts are not supposed to be deployed to fight, but Moscow has admitted that some have been by accident.
They also face intense pressure to sign full army contracts, rights groups say.
Those who evade the draft can be jailed for two years.
So David and Nikolai pooled their savings, packed, and found transport.
“I was crying because I was leaving my hometown. But I had no other choice,” David said.

- ‘Scared’ -

At a checkpoint, Russian security agents questioned them separately in a small room for around five hours.
“They began smiling, putting pressure on me, trying to make me slip up,” said David.
They took his fingerprints, asked why he had deleted photos from his phone and threatened to plant drugs on him.
If he was not really going to Russia — as he told them — he could be jailed, they said.
“Anyone would feel scared in such a situation, especially considering how old they were, how old we were,” said David.
To their surprise and relief, they were eventually let through.
But they now worry about their friends back home.
Russia is expanding its draft and tightening its system for registering Ukrainians in occupied territory.
A classmate wanted to flee with them, but did not have a passport.
To get one he would have to visit the military enlistment office, where he feared being conscripted on the spot.
“He just can’t run away,” David said.


Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Thousands in Kosovo march against war crimes trials on 18th anniversary of independence declaration

  • Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague
  • PM Albin Kurti added that ‘the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid’
PRISTINA, Kosovo: An air of defiance marked Kosovo’s independence celebrations on Tuesday as thousands of people joined a march in support of former fighters who are facing trial at a Netherlands-based court for alleged war crimes during a 1998-1999 separatist war from Serbia.
Protesters, many wrapped in red and black Albanian flags, braved cold and snowy weather in the capital, Pristina, to voice their opposition to the proceedings in The Hague against former president and rebel leader Hashim Thaci and three others accused of atrocities during and after the conflict that killed some 13,000 people.
Earlier on Tuesday, Kosovo’s security forces paraded in Pristina as part of the independence ceremonies, and Parliament held a special session.
The war started in 1998 when the rebel Kosovo Liberation Army launched its struggle for independence and Serbia responded with a brutal crackdown. The war ended after NATO bombed Serbia for 78 days in 1999, eventually forcing it to pull out its troops from the territory.
Serbia still does not recognize the 2008 declaration of independence of Kosovo and this has been a source of persistent tension in the volatile Balkan region. As both Kosovo and Serbia seek European Union membership, they have been told they must normalize ties before joining.
Prosecutors at the Kosovo Specialist Chambers in The Hague — which formally is part of Kosovo’s judicial system although seated abroad — have asked for a maximum 45-year prison sentence for Thaci and the other defendants. Thaci also faces a separate trial on charges of intimidating witnesses that will begin later this month.
Officials and protesters in Kosovo have criticized the proceedings as political and designed to strike a false balance with Serbia whose political and military leaders previously had been tried and convicted of war crimes in Kosovo by a separate UN court.
Protesters at Tuesday’s march held banners reading “History cannot be rewritten” and “Freedom for the liberators.” They arranged metal fences around a landmark independence monument and placed a sign reading ”Kosovo in Prison” on top of it.
President Vjosa Osmani said in a statement that “truth cannot be changed by attempts to rewrite history or to tarnish and devalue the struggle of Kosovo’s people for freedom.”
Prime Minister Albin Kurti added that “the KLA-led war was pure, liberation (struggle) and an anti-colonial war ... a just struggle of an occupied and oppressed people under apartheid.”
In Belgrade, a Serbian government liaison office for Kosovo described the independence declaration 18 years ago as a “flagrant violation of international law.” The statement alleged “systematic terror” and persecution against minority Serbs in Kosovo.
The United States and most EU countries are among more than 100 nations that have recognized Kosovo’s independence while Russia and China have backed Serbia’s claim on the territory.
Thaci resigned from office in 2020 to defend himself against the 10 charges of crimes against humanity and war crimes.
The court and an associated prosecutor’s office were created after a 2011 report by the Council of Europe, a human rights body, following allegations that KLA fighters trafficked human organs taken from prisoners and killed Serbs and fellow ethnic Albanians. The organ harvesting allegations haven’t been included in indictments issued by the court.