TOKYO: The Japanese public is divided on whether Japan should exercise its right to collective self-defense if China attacks Taiwan, a Kyodo news agency poll found on Sunday.
The survey found 48.8 percent in favor and 44.2 percent against, while 60.4 percent backed Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s plan to beef up the country’s defense spending.
The opinion poll comes at a time when a diplomatic spat between Tokyo and Beijing has intensified following Takaichi’s remarks related to Taiwan. The Japanese premier said on November 7 that a Chinese attack on Taiwan could amount to a “survival-threatening situation” and trigger a potential military response from Tokyo.
China has not ruled out using force to assert its claim to democratically-governed Taiwan, which is only 110 kilometers from Japanese territory. Taiwan’s government rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims.
Takaichi’s remarks sparked angry responses from Beijing, which also cautioned its citizens against traveling to Japan.
Takaichi has pledged to reach a defense spending goal of 2 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) in the current fiscal year through March, ahead of the original target of fiscal 2027, in a policy speech last month.
The approval rating for Takaichi’s cabinet was 69.9 percent, up by 5.5 percentage points from the previous month’s survey, Kyodo said.
Japanese divided on military response to China over Taiwan, Kyodo poll shows
https://arab.news/59zp8
Japanese divided on military response to China over Taiwan, Kyodo poll shows
- Opinion poll comes at a time when a diplomatic spat between Tokyo and Beijing has intensified
- Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s remarks sparked angry responses from Beijing
Hong Kong plans to buy homes devastated in deadly high-rise fire
HONG KONG: Hong Kong proposes to spend about HK$4 billion ($512 million) to buy out the owners of homes in a high-rise housing complex ravaged by a massive fire that killed more than 160 in November, authorities said on Saturday.
The prices offered will be HK$8,000 per sq. ft. without a land premium payment, and HK$10,500 per sq. ft for those receiving such a payment, officials in the Asian financial hub told a media briefing.
“We believe the proposed price is sufficient for the affected residents to relocate and secure long-term housing,” said Wong Wai-lun, Hong Kong’s deputy financial secretary.
The government also offered an apartment exchange program for the 4,600 affected tenants, who lived in nearly 2,000 housing units at the complex, Wang Fuk Court.
The total outlay, estimated at HK$6.8 billion, will drop by HK$2.8 billion from a contribution by a relief fund, and could go lower still after insurance compensation in factored in, the officials said. ($1=7.8148 Hong Kong dollars)










