UK court rules protest-hit hotel can continue housing asylum seekers

Protesters hold the Union Jack and St George's flags outside the Bell Hotel, Essex after the British government challenged a court ruling requiring asylum seekers to be temporarily evicted from the hotel in Epping, Britain, August 29, 2025. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 11 November 2025
Follow

UK court rules protest-hit hotel can continue housing asylum seekers

  • Judge Justice Timothy Mould ruled that the hotel had not breached planning controls and could continue to be used as a contingency accommodation

LONDON: A UK high court judge ruled Tuesday that asylum seekers can continue to be housed in a hotel northeast of London which was the target of anti-immigration protests earlier this year.
The local council in Epping had launched a legal challenge to block the use of the Bell Hotel as asylum accommodation, after violent protests broke out in July and August over accusations that one of the hotel’s residents sexually assaulted a teenage girl.
Ethiopian asylum seeker Hadush Kebatu was convicted and later deported for sexually assaulting the girl and a woman.
Judge Justice Timothy Mould dismissed Epping Forest District Council’s bid on Tuesday, the latest in the legal saga which has engulfed the hotel and its residents.
The council was initially granted a temporary injunction to stop the hotel from housing 138 asylum seekers, but that was overturned after the interior ministry appealed.
Mould ruled that the hotel had not breached planning controls and could continue to be used as a contingency accommodation.
He acknowledged the “continuing need for hotels as an important element of the supply of contingency accommodation to house asylum seekers.”
Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government, under pressure to curb immigration levels, has vowed to end the much-criticized use of hotels for this purpose by 2029.
As of June 2025, around 35,000 asylum seekers were being accommodated in under 200 hotels, according to the judge.
The decision was a “slap in the face to the people of Epping,” said shadow interior minister Chris Philp.
Epping councillor Ken Williamson urged the Home Office to “reconsider” its position, adding that the council was “bitterly disappointed.”
A bitter national debate over immigration policy has been raging in the UK, as frustration grows over thousands of migrants crossing the Channel from France in small boats or living in government-provided accommodation while they await a decision on their asylum claims.


Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes

Updated 3 sec ago
Follow

Afghans mourn villagers killed in Pakistani strikes

  • Afghans gathered around a mass grave Sunday to bury villagers killed in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which said its military targeted militants
BIHSUD: Afghans gathered around a mass grave Sunday to bury villagers killed in overnight air strikes by Pakistan, which said its military targeted militants.
The overnight attacks killed at least 18 people and were the most extensive since border clashes in October, which left more than 70 dead on both sides and wounded hundreds.
“The house was completely destroyed. My children and family members were there. My father and my sons were there. All of them were killed,” said Nezakat, a 35-year-old farmer in Bihsud district, who only gave one name.
Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups, in response to suicide bombings in Pakistan.
The military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of the Daesh group, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.
Afghan government spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid said “people’s homes have been destroyed, they have targeted civilians, they have committed this criminal act” with the bombardment of Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.
Residents from around the remote Bihsud district in Nangarhar joined searchers to look for bodies under the rubble, an AFP journalist said, using shovels and a digger.
“People here are ordinary people. The residents of this village are our relatives. When the bombing happened, one person who survived was shouting for help,” said neighbor Amin Gul Amin, 37.
Nangarhar police told AFP the bombardment started at around midnight and hit three districts, with those killed all in a civilian’s house.
“Twenty-three members of his family were buried under the rubble, of whom 18 were killed and five wounded,” said police spokesperson Sayed Tayeeb Hammad.
Strikes elsewhere in Nangarhar wounded two others, while in Paktika an AFP journalist saw a destroyed guesthouse but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
- ‘Calculated response’ -
Afghanistan’s defense ministry said it will “deliver an appropriate and calculated response” to the Pakistani strikes.
The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.
Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.
Several rounds of negotiations followed an initial ceasefire brokered by Qatar and Turkiye, but they have failed to produce a lasting agreement.
Saudi Arabia intervened this month, mediating the release of three Pakistani soldiers captured by Afghanistan in October.
The deteriorating relationship has hit people in both countries, with the land border largely shut for months.
Pakistan said Sunday that despite repeated urging by Islamabad, the Taliban authorities have failed to act against militant groups using Afghan territory to carry out attacks in Pakistan.
The Afghan government has denied harboring militants.
Islamabad launched the strikes after a suicide blast at a Shiite mosque in Islamabad two weeks ago and other such attacks more recently in northwestern Pakistan.
The Daesh group had claimed responsibility for the mosque bombing, which killed at least 40 people and wounded more than 160 in the deadliest attack in Islamabad since 2008.
The militant group’s regional chapter, Islamic State-Khorasan, also claimed a deadly suicide bombing at a Kabul restaurant last month.